Jun 6, 2011
Jersey
Funster No
MH
Swift,Lifestyle 530l
Exp
new
Hi,
I want to re-seal my outside toilet locker door but am absolutely discombobulated over what to use.
There are as many advocates of using a non setting mastic as there are over using a bonding on.
Non setters say you may want to remove the componenet in the future. The only reason I am removing to re mastic is that it has broken down. So does this not point to using a bonding sealant that does not break down.
Confused beyond belief.
Cheers
Martin

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
For my fridge vents I bought mastic on a roll. You can buy it on eBay in various thicknesses and width. I used 3x22mm.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
You can discuss as many myths and legends as you wish, it wont change what is the correct material for the job
hard setting bonds, will over time crack through movement and vibration (it is a vehicle on the move after all)
none setting sealants handle vibration and movement very well as they are designed to do and incorporate a degree of self healing
ps Never say never

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Strip butyl mastic as suggested above will not set and will allow for removal later if needed. I've removed the stuff after 10 years use and seen zero deterioration - if the 'edges' hadn't got dirty it could have been re-used. It's easy to apply and is very sticky adding to the integrity of the mounting as well as sealing. PU adhesive (the commonly discussed variety of Sikaflex) cannot be removed by solvents and is near impossible to clean off. It is brilliant stuff for its intended purpose but totally unnecessary where all that is required is a sealant.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back