Mastic etc (1 Viewer)

B

Baldrick

Deleted User
Hi, does anyone have any tips for removing mastic/sealant from gel coat of grp bodywork?

Thanks

Mark

Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
I know this may sound sarcastic, but it is not meant to ::bigsmile: I believe that there are products called mastic remover. If I see anything I will post a link here.

Keith

OP
OP
B

Baldrick

Deleted User
Thanks Keith, I've seen some products for mastic removal, but I am uncertain as to whether they will damage the gel coat. I was hoping to get other peoples experiences/tips. (I am terrified of damaging the gel coat!!!)

Mark

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Thanks for the wishes ::bigsmile:
I know what you mean about the fear of damaging your van, it is really scary isn't it? I can only think to ask a local bodyshop for their ideas, especially if the do work on lorries and busses? Maybe ask your local caravan repair shop, they may even sell you the right product.
You could always try a product in a corner where it will not be noticed before showering it all over the side, just to be sure :winky:
Good luck matey

Keith

F

fordy

Deleted User
Hi if it is the soft non setting mastic like the RVs have around the windows, that tends to oozed out then i cut off the worst of it with a sharp knife then cleaned the staining with white spirit. but if its the silicon sealer like rubber then i would look at silicon eaters but as you say i don't know what it may do to the gelcoat is there any way you can test it somewhere ?

FORDY:Smile:

E

Enodreven

Deleted User
While we are on the subject of WD40 take a look at this site it may help,

Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!