LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Can anyone give me any pointers where me and a mate could park a couple of campers close to, or better still in Marseille?

Happy for a campsite, Aire or overnighting in a car park, absolutely 100% self sufficient

Thinking now we may need a decent site during the week, and go into City ‘stealth mode’ on RWC match days, so if anyone has any local knowledge that would be really useful

Thanks

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
It's an industrial port, surrounded by steep hills.

Many years ago a group of us spent the night next to the beach close to the port waiting for the Corsica ferry.
We eventually had to set up a guard rota, with two people continually circling our camp throughout the night as there were so many people who came out of the cracks in the dark.

You are better off looking at the train lines north, east or west and finding a campsite with a good train link an hour down the line

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
Don’t camp off grid. We got robbed while asleep on an aire in Marseille lost passports, cash and all the motorhome manuals. Police said it’s a very common occurrence.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
eddievanbitz
Best advice I can give you is to avoid Marseilles itself. Cassis sounds nicer , especially if in a campsite. That said, it is still in a difficult area. Just keep in mind to never leave something valuable next to a window or on the dashboard. If you visit the town then just be sensible: don't leave you mobile on the table if in a cafe or in your back pocket etc...
Anyway, enjoy.... and listen to the so special Marseilles accent, it sounds like a song!

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Aug 09 to date
We went through there once in the Bessacar (hence between July 2009 and the end of 2012) and got diverted cos of roadworks and should have gone down a tunnel and fortunately I noticed in the nick of time it was lower than the overcab so virtually screeched that info at Pete who became exceedingly unpopular with the rest of the traffic who also needed to go down there so then we had no clue whatsoever where we should go and absolutely nowhere to pull over esp in the midst of a bin-men strike - nightmare but we survived so then we thought we'd try to visit Cassis and never succeeded in doing that either. (Could that be the time we went to Greoux les Bains?)

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Marseilles is notorious for its crime. I can't see the attraction, though I was taken there as a kid.

A bulletproof vest might be handy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
It can’t be that bad can it?

It’s a big city and they all have issues.

I work all over the worst bits of Birmingham at all hours and it’s never as bad as it’s made out.

Is Marseille different?

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
It can’t be that bad can it?

It’s a big city and they all have issues.

I work all over the worst bits of Birmingham at all hours and it’s never as bad as it’s made out.

Is Marseille different?
I'd say yes.
I've been in many of the dodgy areas of London, where, most of the time, you are OK.
Whereas even the area around the port and the central bits of Marseilles are dodgy and full of very sketchy people.

Far too many people who are a bit thin, in cheap clothing, wearing sandals rather than shoes, judging by their hairstyle dont work in an office, shifty eyes, and you notice that you may have been spotted as 'prey'

Most of the time you'll be fine, but it's not a place I'd ever wait overnight for an early ferry again.
I'd get 10 miles inland or down the coast.

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
Joe Lycett did a travel programme about Marseille recently. It looked a very interesting city. Just don't stay there at night.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLI 580
Exp
Since 2002
Reading some of the dire warnings I feel like I’ve been to a different place. I’ve been to Marseille three times. Once following my football team over there and twice my wife and I stayed at the aire at Carro and got the train in. I/we never felt threatened or uncomfortable in the tourist part of town and around the Old Port, even on the football trip. Not quite so pleasant for the match itself, but no worse than say Madrid.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
That’ll do 👍🏻

Thanks
Check on Algeria ferry arrival times.
As guess these guys use it as a waiting area

Obviously none will be over 3500KG ::bigsmile:

1678735168331.png