Maplin Small Induction Hob 500w £24.99 (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You could just use non-stick ones so your food doesn't touch the aluminium if you're worried about the pans.

Nov 1, 2015
Norwich
Funster No
MH
RAPIDO 686F
Exp
Bought a small induction single hob from John Lewis as our main hob in kitchen decided to go tits up Xmas day, lucky we had the M / H as cover. Also by luck we have a great set saucepans for the M / H which we got from recommendation on here which are compatible with said hob. I noticed immediately that it's very difficult to simmer on and after a quick look on the web found it seems to be a common problem but one reviewer suggested moving pan off centre which does the trick.
We now have a great bit of kit which, if needed, can cook breakfast outside on hookup.
Ray

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Good point about control. Our domestic one has a temperature control mode which is useful for simmering or preventing milk from boiling over, but too powerful to put in the van.

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
We have a large 1200w induction hob which is powerful but this mini one is less bulky, lighter & easier to carry in a small motorhome. It stows away easily & not in the way if left out. If we want to boil a large amount of water (e.g. for pasta) then we boil water in the kettle first but this is what we do at home too. The mini one will boil large amounts of water just not as quick as the kettle & once up to temperature just 500w (or less) is plenty of power for cooking :) Would also be useful for heating up food ( for special diets or if watching your pennies) when staying in budget hotels as at just 500w no problem using a normal power point.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Bought one of these, amazed at how small it is, perfect for my soon-to-arrive tiny van whenever I'm on EHU & small enough not to notice the loss of space TOO much when not, been using it at home and it's brilliant!
Thank you Wombles (y)
We love ours too :) glad you got it when the price was low (y)

Reactions: CWH
Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
Keep it well away from any automatic watches and if you have a pacemaker - sell it (the hob).

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Keep it well away from any automatic watches and if you have a pacemaker - sell it (the hob).
... and insulin pumps apparently!
(by automatic watch I assume you're referring to radio-controlled?)
Every day a school day

This is worth a separate thread @Ninjabob

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
(by automatic watch I assume you're referring to radio-controlled?)
Every day a school day
Not radio controlled I am talking about automatic winding quality watches such as from Rolex, Omega, Breitling etc. they can become magnetised.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Not radio controlled I am talking about automatic winding quality watches such as from Rolex, Omega, Breitling etc. they can become magnetised.
Ah. I used to have one, now all battery-powered.
However I've just emailed by BiL to check that he knows about the hobs as he has a pacemaker, thanks for the info, I've read up on it on BHF document.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
As I have a pacemaker and several self winding watches I will pass on this one. I would have thought one of those little self contained gas rings at around a tenner would be more useful. Higher powered and doesn't need ehu.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
This is the size of induction hob you require, if getting one at all, and it's a good price. (y)

Available from tomorrow. ;)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
More in Lidl 23 June. Only around £20, if I recall, and you can set the wattage anywhere between 500K and 2kW. Looks as if you can also control by temperature (good for milk) but may use full power in that mode. Light, compact, and probably better than Maplin's.

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
More in Lidl 23 June. Only around £20, if I recall, and you can set the wattage anywhere between 500K and 2kW. Looks as if you can also control by temperature (good for milk) but may use full power in that mode. Light, compact, and probably better than Maplin's.
Sounds like a good option - do you have a link or photo please?
As well as the small Maplin ones we have an original Lidl/Aldi one think it cost £40 but much bigger & quite heavy.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
depends on the grade of stainless if a magnet sticks to the base it will work
Induction hob at home is stunningly good. Gas hob in van is stunningly bad, so might one day buy one of these, but with a bit more power

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Sounds like a good option - do you have a link or photo please?
As well as the small Maplin ones we have an original Lidl/Aldi one think it cost £40 but much bigger & quite heavy.
Sorry, could not find a link. Maybe it was last week's promotion. There is a 1kW for £129 this week.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We were next to some Brits in France recently and they used an induction hob outside their MH. We noticed it because of the noise it made - it seemed to beep constantly. Our induction hob at home beeps when you alter the temperature/power but this one had another full symphony of beeps which I guess told the cook something but left us perplexed.
All good "people watching" fun though! :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back