Malaga to Bilbao (1 Viewer)

Jun 18, 2023
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet.
Hi Folk's I have worked out a route to Malaga in April, now looking to sort out a route back to Bilbao in 5 days avoiding large cities and hopefully scenic.
Thanks for your time.
John

Feb 5, 2020
Crosby
Funster No
MH
Smileo 202
Exp
Was a Newbie but getting the hang of it now.
Never done that trip but someone on here will have.

Jan 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner i681
Exp
Since 2018
Why avoid the cities? I know it’s not what you asked but something to consider maybe.
We travel that route each year on our way to Morocco and our typical stop off points are:
Zafra - free aire right in the historic city.
Salamanca - free parking right by the city walls a fantastic Plaza Major and historic walled city.
Valadolid - car park aire €5, 5 min walk in to city with great indoor market for tapas etc.
Pamplona - €10 aire right by city walls with great history and a super night life and bars.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I've done it a couple of times on a Harley via Madrid we did it on 2 days going out and 3 coming back so we could have a day to look round Madrid, the second time we stayed in Toledo on the way down and coming back we went along the coast to Alicante and then Zaragoza

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 13, 2022
Tarragona, Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
I would suggest you do part of "la ruta de la plata", where you would get to know an interesting piece of Spain.
There are some cities, but not major ones, and it's scenic and has some interesting culture within.
It was a roman road, and was used as an important commercial route.
The rout ends in Asturias, but you could divert in Salamanca, towards Bilbao, via Burgos.
Or continue to the end and, them, from Gijón to Bilbao, through the coast.
Five days wouldn't be much, but enough to do something like that.

Mapa+ruta+de+la+plata.png

Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
I would suggest you do part of "la ruta de la plata", where you would get to know an interesting piece of Spain.
There are some cities, but not major ones, and it's scenic and has some interesting culture within.
The rout ends in Asturias, but you could divert in Salamanca, towards Bilbao, via Burgos.

View attachment 870751
Great route! 👍

Sep 7, 2017
Funster No

View attachment 870751
All the cities highlighted have some incredible sights.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
We're not keen on motorway travel, although they have their uses.
We also don't like travelling the same route, preferring to see new things.

We've done la ruta de la plata, although we deviated at Caceres and went via Trujillo and Montfrague National Park (vultures, eagles, etc) to Placancia. Fairly quick roads.

We've gone north from Malaga to Cordoba then Almaden (unique hexagonal bull ring) to Talavera de la Reina then Avila (walled city). We've also travelled via Guadalupe and Oropessa. My favourite view in Spain is from the mirador above Cuevas del Valle.
From Avila we have gone to Cuellar via the impressive Castillo do Coca and on to Penafiel (narowest castle, remarkable "dismountable" bull ring in town centre) then Torquemada and through the Picos.

We like the coast road between Malaga and Motril, followed by the route to Roquetas del Mar, Almeria and Mazarron before heading to Murcia (IKEA aire). We liked the aire at Chinchilla de Montearagon (south of Albecete).
Cuenca is an interesting city with wonderful views from the aire at the top of the hill (traffic-light controlled narrow road). N320, N204 to Medinacelli (aire, Roman archway), A15 to Soria, N111 to Logrono.

As ever, lots of choices if you want them!

Gordon

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back