Mach Loop. (1 Viewer)

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Could someone who knows this area please tell me if it is possible to overnight in the layby there or would it be advisable to try to stay in the campsite further down the valley. Should anyone know of a place to wildcamp please PM if you prefer to keep it quiet~ish.
Many thanks.
Norman.

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Probably forestry fire road entry spots you could park in?

Cheers James

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Watching this with interest, I know a few of us who'd like to visit the area.

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
Probably forestry fire road entry spots you could park in?

Cheers James

Without blocking or hindering access in the event of an emergency!

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
If your spot is in the National Park, I think that there is a blanket ban on Wild Camping.

Is wild camping in Snowdonia legal?

Technically, no, it is not. ... However, it is tolerated and commonplace in Snowdonia. The Snowdonia National Park Authority accepts that wild camping on un-enclosed fell land, away from roads, is accepted if undertaken responsibly by small numbers of people.3 Jun 2020.

Can I sleep in my car in Snowdonia?

All car parks are open 24 hours with daily tickets valid until midnight. OVERNIGHT CAMPING IS NOT PERMITTED.

Wild camping can be a rewarding experience, bringing people closer to their natural environment. However, wild camping is not permitted anywhere in Snowdonia without prior permission from the landowner or farmer. Camping in car parks or on roadside verges is not allowed at any time.

We highly recommend that people use one of the huge choice of formal campsites in Snowdonia.

Rivermount

Free Member
Dec 3, 2019
West Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2019, a bit before lockdown!
If your spot is in the National Park, I think that there is a blanket ban on Wild Camping.

Is wild camping in Snowdonia legal?

Technically, no, it is not. ... However, it is tolerated and commonplace in Snowdonia. The Snowdonia National Park Authority accepts that wild camping on un-enclosed fell land, away from roads, is accepted if undertaken responsibly by small numbers of people.3 Jun 2020.

Can I sleep in my car in Snowdonia?

All car parks are open 24 hours with daily tickets valid until midnight. OVERNIGHT CAMPING IS NOT PERMITTED.

Wild camping can be a rewarding experience, bringing people closer to their natural environment. However, wild camping is not permitted anywhere in Snowdonia without prior permission from the landowner or farmer. Camping in car parks or on roadside verges is not allowed at any time.

We highly recommend that people use one of the huge choice of formal campsites in Snowdonia.
I think this is actually referring to real Wild Camping ( carrying your tent on your back to a remote location on the hills) not parking a motorhome next to the road. In reality both roadside camping/overnight parking are are a bit off limits at the moment as the pressure of numbers have caused lots of issues with police and council getting upset, moving people on and issuing fines.

Your probably best to use a campsite nearby and just park up during the daytime on the side of the road. You can also walk in to good spots rather than having to park at the very popular spots. Also worth looking at the whole of the Loop, It is a circuit not just a single place. There are the overly popular photo spots but there are some others that would give good viewpoints to see the airplanes.

Website here Broken Link Removed for lots of info.

OP
OP
TUCANO
Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Heard but not seen and we are giving up on Wales and wildcamping, never felt as unwanted in a van before.
Campsite last night was absolutely first class and couldn't fault it but £33 a night.
Such is life 👍

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Hi,
tal-L-Lynn campsite is good for Mach loop but don’t mention the aircraft to Marion the owner she hates the disturbance they make. The aircraft often swing round left overhead.
I have seen one van overnight in the lay-by you mention but I think it was very noisy with traffic.
check out Gary Gough utube vid, he shows a farm track and the farmer is happy for you to stop over if you speak to him. I think that is on the tops at Cad East.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Mach Loop from a Typhoon Pilots Perspective, wish I was in there with him. Great Fun, "what did you do today dear?, ah! not much, just had a burn through wales dear, what's for dinner"
Enjoy all, especially my Jet Noise mates, really missed the air shows this year, F1 no longer does it for me.
LES

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
I think this is actually referring to real Wild Camping ( carrying your tent on your back to a remote location on the hills) not parking a motorhome next to the road. In reality both roadside camping/overnight parking are are a bit off limits at the moment as the pressure of numbers have caused lots of issues with police and council getting upset, moving people on and issuing fines.

Your probably best to use a campsite nearby and just park up during the daytime on the side of the road. You can also walk in to good spots rather than having to park at the very popular spots. Also worth looking at the whole of the Loop, It is a circuit not just a single place. There are the overly popular photo spots but there are some others that would give good viewpoints to see the airplanes.

Website here Broken Link Removed for lots of info.
Good point. Rocking up and parking all fresco in your all facilities moho is hardly "wild camping" - it is simply parking for free. Lugging tent, water, food etc over hills and vales and making camp discreetly out of the way is "wild camping".

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
As regards sleeping in laybys (or any part of the highway for that matter) in general, I enquired of the DfT in 2009. The upshot was that there is no national legislation which either specifically permits or prohibits roadside camping (which, as it is on a highway, is not covered by the Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960).
There are, however, a number of restrictions which apply to waiting and parking. These are summarised in Rules 238-252 of the Highway Code. The text in the Highway Code contains details of the primary and secondary legislation which give effect to the restrictions. There are particular requirements for parking at night, including requirements for use of lights in some circumstances (Rules 248 - 250).
In addition, there may be specific restrictions made by the local council for the area.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I think this is actually referring to real Wild Camping ( carrying your tent on your back to a remote location on the hills) not parking a motorhome next to the road.
Camping in any vehicle is not wild camping. The best definition I have seen of wild camping is in the Scottish Outdoor Access Code (reproduced Here with further information).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back