Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
Is it worth adding Luxemburg to the route plan or just somewhere to fill up with cheap diesel, then pass on by ?
Intrigued to have a shufty purely from being a former "Luxie" listener, (age thing!), before the pirate radio radicalised the tranny

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Stopped there in October . Three nights . Not much to see . One day is more than enough ! But you are right diesel is cheap !!

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Luxembourg is so much more than the cheap fuel and booze, we love it and go there every year. So our answer is yes, go check it out, it is a beautiful country.

Although, after you cross the border, there is nothing but fuel stations with cheap fuel - which is a bit wierd! :D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Moodybrook

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Funster No
MH
Exp
still in nappies
we love it and go there every year

As you spend a bit of time there , are there remnants of the studios/transmitter/museum, to visit or was it all a con and done out of Rugby, I recollect there is a mega hypermarket or something, not that I want to spend much, do you stop on a site/aire or what. It is on my way to exploring the Rhine, Black Forest this May, thanks.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
If we are going to Southern Germany or Switzerland we usually use he free French and Belgian Autoroutes ( be sure to have all kit secured, Belgium is the envy of the World when it comes to the pot hole Championships ) a few hours traveling and filling with fuel near the border on the way out is well worth it.
Price today (Sunday) is Euro 1.054 a litre and the XE rate is Euro 1.3527 to the £1 (y)
See link for up to date European prices .

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Camping "Gritt ?" Diekirch ?. Stayed there with a c/van,booked through CC,arrived booked in and was taken down to a super pitch,right on the river bank VIP service all the way. Lots of museums Patton left his mark. Yes,we would stay in Luxembourg again if heading out that way.
Tea Bag

OP
OP
Moodybrook

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Funster No
MH
Exp
still in nappies
Thanks everyone, I am not in a hurry, so out of curiosity we will add it to the "stop at" list, will give it a whirl. I have a few war graves to visit so that gives me that angle of attack for down the Rhine, Patton would like my tactics , "Up and at em" Got us some Euros to tide us over, when Farage gets in, the pound will plummet so best to take cover ?
Looking forward to some Euro golfing and I hope the fish don't have a foreign accent as far as taste for bait! This is our first foray across the ditch with "Jessie". done gites in France before and I did a whole two years of French at school (just the other day, :whistle: ) :)(y)

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Another vote for Diekirch ...2 campsites right on river bank side by side. Short stroll into town along footpath on riverbank...good museums.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
As you spend a bit of time there , are there remnants of the studios/transmitter/museum, to visit or was it all a con and done out of Rugby, I recollect there is a mega hypermarket or something, not that I want to spend much, do you stop on a site/aire or what. It is on my way to exploring the Rhine, Black Forest this May, thanks.
To be honest, I have never looked for it, so couldn't tell you. We stay in a campsite out in the sticks, which has swimming pool, restaurant and facilities for the kids. it isn't expensive, but I can't remember how much it is. It is in a village called La Rochette. Lot's of very scenic (if hilly) walks, and a very pleasant village square with more shops and restaurants.

[Edited to add]
We stayed in a site right on the banks of the Titisee in the Black Forest a few years back, had a great time there, I'll dig out the details if you like.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Stopped at Diekirch last September on the ACSI site just down from the river bridge, it's literally two minutes into town. The military museum is definitely worth a visit. (y)

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
We have also stayed at Diekirch, huge pitches. vianden is also worth a look,nice cable car ride up the hill and nice castle.
If you just want fuel, go via Habay,its on the way down,,right on the bel/lux border..never seen as many filling stations.

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
There's MUCH more to Luxembourg other than cheap fuel. Nice city, plenty of walks and things to see. (Here's some pics from our 2014 visit)
Not sure about any remnants of 208 meters on the Medium Wave though :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 35
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 33
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 34
OP
OP
Moodybrook

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Funster No
MH
Exp
still in nappies
That's a lot more picturesque than I imagined, thanks Wingman, in my best concise "commando comics" German "Danke unt der frauleins ist bitte schon " too ;)
Cruiser, I'll be there first week in May perhaps not a great idea to meet up, I am a rain magnet !! but you're welcome just means drinking my malt indoors !
Great "happy clappies" on songs of praise tonight. Polished Jessies roof today, after 18 holes, knackered. :)

May 31, 2011
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
re-living the gloryb days of series 2 BC
Hi, Just a bit more on Lux - we often drop into the top as first stop on our way to Germany
Stay at nice friendly site in the north at place called Troisvierges (ACSI) - you can get a train return to Lux city for 4 E - the village is also start of a 100+K off road (old railway)cycle route into Germany but beware of the bells!
John

Feb 1, 2011
Redcar
Funster No
MH
Hymer C. Class
Exp
26 yrs
Hi, A great City we have visited many times, if you go, the best way to see the City is by the Circle Tour Bus, drop off and pop on right across the city' all one fare. You will find the City is built on 4 levels and very steep in places, the tour alone is worth the fare.
Best Regards Mac

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back