Lunar quality (1 Viewer)

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Newbie here. Looking around for first motor home. Just getting the feel of the market at the moment. Looked at a lot of Autotrail, Swift, Burstner and others and most come on the Fiat or Peugeot base and then came across the Lunar Roadstar EB - Renault. I was attracted by this from the point of view of the base van as I have long been a Renault fan. But what of Lunar? Where do they fit in the league in terms of build quality?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
:welco:

Don't call them Leaky Lunars without reason, we had a Lunar caravan, more water in the walls than the garden pond. I personally wouldn't touch anything British made.
A lot of the Lunars were made buy the Belgium firm Homecar they went bump.

Sep 10, 2020
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autograph 69-2
Exp
Moved over to the Dark Side after 16 yrs tugging.
Didn't Lunar Caravans at Preston go out of business, then a management buyout then in July 2019, the business had entered administration following severe cash flow problems. Wasn't there some dispute with workers who were not paid and then there were problems with furlough in April 2020? ( www.lancs.live/news/lancashire-news/staff-lunar-caravans-cant-pay-18177510 )
Is the motorhome made by the same lot?
My mate had a Lunar caravan and had to get shot of it when the whole of the kitchen cupboard unit detached itself from the walls. Service engineer said the the roof was detaching from the walls. It was at the end of his first season from new last year. Luckily he traded it in and the dealer would have the responsibility of repair.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 10, 2016
hucknall
Funster No
MH
Swift bolero 712sb
Exp
10 years
We had a homecar/lunar before I was aware of damp issues. Build quality was rubbish , and damp so much damp.

Vic

Aug 1, 2010
Funster No
Had a Homecar for 6 months, got shot of it due to numerous serious faults.

SteveJ

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 30, 2018
March, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 620
Exp
Since 2013
I have an old Lunar Roadstar and I have to say that the build quality is great, still very few squeaks or rattles after 21 years. I have had two minor leaks, one due to freak hailstones making a tiny puncture in the roof and one due to the sealant on the side rubbing strip, covering the join between the top and bottom side join, which had finally given up allowing a leak into one of the rear lockers. However...... mine is a 21 year old Lunar and was built when it appears that they had some degree of professionalism and pride in their products. The issues I have heard about on their later Motorhomes and Caravans would steer me away from even looking at them when we do get round to replacing.

OP
OP
VXman
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
My brother had a leaky Lunar, it was awful. he bought a Hymer caravan after, hence I own a Hymer motorhome.

Do yourself a favour, do some research on motorhomes before you buy.

That's what this is ;)

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
I had 2 Luner caravans and had no issues with either of them, they looked to have been designed by somebody who used a caravan, and little things on the build reinforced that.
However we have had 6 caravans and 3 motorhomes and non of them leaked maybe because they were all 6 metres long, and as they use the same thickness panels right up to the longest models it stands to reason the longer models will flex more and this will increase the chances of a leaking joint.

Sep 10, 2020
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autograph 69-2
Exp
Moved over to the Dark Side after 16 yrs tugging.
I used to subscribe to CaravanTalk for 15 yrs before moving to the Dark Side and subscribing to MHF in the summer. I've found both forums to be patrolled by guys with a lot of experience and a balanced viewpoint (eg Eddie vanbitz etc etc ) and many others with a wicked sense of fun, as well as boring old farts like me. A subscription won't buy you and SWMBO a fish and chip supper, but to get the information that you require without spending a penny or without any prior knowledge of the field, then you're on your own as you'll run out of free postings. This forum is more than worth it. It could save you thousands ££££.

Jun 17, 2019
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
One a newbie
Can’t speak for Lunar motorhomes but my and my mate bought new lunar caravans in
2016 and while we’ll thought out with good features both have had damp problems.
We sold ours within 10 months due to this, my mate still has his.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back