Lubricants (1 Viewer)

Sep 26, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Broadway
Exp
Since 2013
I had a problem for a while with my electric step, into the rear habitation door, as it used to seize up from time to time. However I took my motorhome to a new place for its habitation check. I was very impressed as they included taking out some scratches on the body work and lubricating the mechanism of the step. The step has now worked excellent for 18 month. I could see that the lubricant they used was like a white fine grease, much better than my WD40!
Does anybody know what type of lubricant this might be and where to get it. The step is still OK, but I'm thinking this white stuff could be good for locks and hinges etc.

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Sounds like a lithium grease.

Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
I can’t help with what they might have used, but I wouldn’t use WD40 as a lubricant.

Standard WD40 has good water displacement and seize release properties but as a lubricant it‘s not good and dries out pretty quickly.

I‘d probably use a bog standard grease or as mentioned a silicone based one.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I had a problem for a while with my electric step, into the rear habitation door, as it used to seize up from time to time. However I took my motorhome to a new place for its habitation check. I was very impressed as they included taking out some scratches on the body work and lubricating the mechanism of the step. The step has now worked excellent for 18 month. I could see that the lubricant they used was like a white fine grease, much better than my WD40!
Does anybody know what type of lubricant this might be and where to get it. The step is still OK, but I'm thinking this white stuff could be good for locks and hinges etc.

WD40 is not a lubricant. It is far more likely to strip any remaining lubricant away and make thing worse. White lithium grease spray is probably what you saw and is readily available. You can even get it in a WD-40 branded can if you want!

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
I use silicon spray for all friction points inside and out.
Very good for bike chains sprockets etc whilst they hang on the back of the van.
Also does all plastics, window seals the list is endless and it lasts for ages.
Mitch.

OP
OP
Davecrawf
Sep 26, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Broadway
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks for all the advice everyone.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You were luck, the step has nylon and WD40 makes nylon swell. Also if there are any plastic bearing surfaces you shouldn't use white lithium grease it causes surfaces to bind.
I had a problem with my drivers door step, it kept juddering. It's a straight slide out step. The dealer sorted it under warranty but a couple of months later it was juddering again the idiots had use white lithium grease on it. I stripped it down myself cleaned all the grease off it reassembled it using standard grease (Castrol LM) over 2 years later it's still working perfectly.

On the hab step that pivots down I use silicon spray.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Time and again people have said to me try WD40 and my reply is normally "which one?" there are so many. It is well worth looking at their website and choosing the right product for the job you have in hand.

WD-40 Products

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
WD-40 do a spray can motorbike chain wax that contains PTFE, this is white and may have been used.
DO NOT GO NEAR THE BLOODY STUFF !!!
We had a few early failures of chains, all DID good quality stuff..
Turned out the common factor was WD40 chain lube !!!!

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
In my opinion, grease of any sort will get stuck up with dust and become a very nasty abrasive.
Again, use silicon spray !
Mitch.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back