LPG detectors (1 Viewer)

nahnotme

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Funster No
Ive started to smell gas in my RV, only very faint and I think it may be comming from the stove and have now noticed that my PG gas detector isnt working ( the green light)
How is this fixed I cant find a fuse or anything ??

Tony Lee

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Funster No
If the gas bottle is nearly empty, you will sometimes notice the smell of mercaptin (?) which seems to get concentrated in the bottom of the tank. There is no more gas than usual, just more smell.

Some detectors have a switch on the side that could have been moved while cleaning - otherwise you will just have to trace the wiring back to its source

LPG detectors will also react to alcohol and similar chemicals so once you get it powered up you could do a very rough check by holding a pad soaked in any spirit close to the detector.

Would be unusual not to have a switch because the detectors commonly draw 100mA and will soon run a battery down if the van is idle.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi

Are you sure it's an LPG detector and not a CO ?

RVs usually have CO monitors in the bedroom, (I think it's a US requirement), they also have a green light, lit when 'normal', it doesn't have an on/off switch. Mine is fed directly from the 12v lighting circuit and has an in-line fuse hidden in the panel behind the detector.. worth a look ..

Jim

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
I test mine with an unlit gas lighter..............the inline fuse is behind the detector under the bath in my winnie. :thumb:

Boo

Tony Lee

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Funster No
LPG detectors usually mounted low to the floor and CO and smoke detectors up near or on the ceiling

OP
OP
N

nahnotme

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Funster No
It is deffo an LPG detector at floor level, I also have 2 carbon monoxide alarms.
Anyway I have just taken it out and its been disconected !!
By the way my LPG tank is almost empty which might explain the smell, so im off for a top up and will keep an eye or should I say a nose on it.
So all I can presume it was disconnected due to it using power ?? so next question is is it worth having it on all the time ? I dont understand much about ampage but I do have a 130 watt solar panel, though my 4 x 110ah batterries often run down as I spend almost all my time in my RV.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tony Lee

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Funster No
By the way my LPG tank is almost empty which might explain the smell, so im off for a top up and will keep an eye or should I say a nose on it.

recent thread here or maybe on another forum where people claimed to be able to tell when the gas was about to run out by the smell. Betty is right 100% of the time

So all I can presume it was disconnected due to it using power ?? so next question is is it worth having it on all the time ?

Mine has never gone off for a gas leak by\ut it did save a bottle of rum once. Bottle on top of fridge tipped over and was dripping slowly onto the floor next to the alarm which went off. Another time a bottle in a case of wine under the seat on the other side of the doorway broke off at the neck and there was a small quantity on the floor. Again the alarm went off.

So it does have its uses.

Yes, it should be on all the time you are occupying the van. Needs a switch or a fuse to pull if you are laying the van up for more than a few days.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back