Lost in France (but we know where we are) (1 Viewer)

threephase

Free Member
Jan 14, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starblaze
Hi all. Well we sold our house of 14 years in France intending to travel to the UK in our motorhome and look for a property.
Due to French red tape and delays tying up loose ends we missed the opportunity to travel to the UK before lockdown.
Not a lot of options open we decided to head to the Camping Car aires where we stayed when buying our house 14 years ago. Fortunately still open all year we managed to get electricity for €7 a night. Water was a problem because it is cut off in case of freezing. However the local commune workers have laid water on for us and even offered to run a hose to our camper. Also there is a little supermarket a few hundred metres close by.
So for now we’re treating it as a holiday. Thank goodness for our motorhome.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Best of luck you guys.there is a thread somewhere that advises the covid tests are available free in France if you do want to return ,but think you have to quarantine for a few days.If you do decide to come back to the UK it may be better to prearrange a campsite here.As you are aware there are not many places open in the UK and ever fewer accepting new stayers.
Bon chance

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
Hi all. Well we sold our house of 14 years in France intending to travel to the UK in our motorhome and look for a property.
Due to French red tape and delays tying up loose ends we missed the opportunity to travel to the UK before lockdown.
Not a lot of options open we decided to head to the Camping Car aires where we stayed when buying our house 14 years ago. Fortunately still open all year we managed to get electricity for €7 a night. Water was a problem because it is cut off in case of freezing. However the local commune workers have laid water on for us and even offered to run a hose to our camper. Also there is a little supermarket a few hundred metres close by.
So for now we’re treating it as a holiday. Thank goodness for our motorhome.
They are good , stayed on few.
Which one are you at?
Do they limit the time you can stay?

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Both the big clubs have sites open for full timers and essential workers, do try contacting them

Kozikot

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Newbie ish...
Best of luck you guys.there is a thread somewhere that advises the covid tests are available free in France if you do want to return ,but think you have to quarantine for a few days.If you do decide to come back to the UK it may be better to prearrange a campsite here.As you are aware there are not many places open in the UK and ever fewer accepting new stayers.
Bon chance
Think you'll find the Free Tests in France are for French Citizens and Hauliers Only...

OP
OP
T

threephase

Free Member
Jan 14, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starblaze
Yes. We will do some research on UK sites that may accept us if we decide to travel over. The site we usually stay on at Pleasureland in Southport wouldn’t entertain us even though we are homeless. We’ve helped them many times in the past with big organised events but no dice I’m afraid to say.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Personally I think I'd stay put. It sounds as though the locals are happy for you to be there and you've got all you need.

If you do want to come back then definitely worth contacting Canterbury Council about staying at the P&R as full timers. Would only cost you £3.50 per night. Cheap including all services although would probably need to run your engines to charge up your batteries.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Wrong there is a chance of england providing similar help . In July the Aire at Canterbury had five vans full timing on their who had moved back from Europe.

I too was going to suggest Canterbury P+R. I think the guys who man the office would not hassle you about staying for a few days, especially if you park in the overflow area, although the main designated MH area is unlikely to be full as it is used mainly by transit traffic to/from the Channel crossing normally.

It has service facilities and although for one night you have to pay £3.50 for day of arrival anf again for the next day from then on you only pay the one £3.50 a day and it includes the bus into the city.

Geoff

OP
OP
T

threephase

Free Member
Jan 14, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starblaze
Cheers Geoff

OP
OP
T

threephase

Free Member
Jan 14, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starblaze
They are good , stayed on few.
Which one are you at?
Do they limit the time you can stay?
Hi Jake. We are at the aires in Saint Fraimbault Orne. Probably about 80 kilometres from the Ferry at Caen. Visited the village many times over the years. Quite happy here at the moment but obviously like to get back to the family in the UK. The difference to when we first came over 16 years ago. £7 per megabyte to send a photo home on a 3G signal. Now really good 4G signal, unlimited data ,VPN ,all the UK tv. Happy days

Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
Hi Jake. We are at the aires in Saint Fraimbault Orne. Probably about 80 kilometres from the Ferry at Caen. Visited the village many times over the years. Quite happy here at the moment but obviously like to get back to the family in the UK. The difference to when we first came over 16 years ago. £7 per megabyte to send a photo home on a 3G signal. Now really good 4G signal, unlimited data ,VPN ,all the UK tv. Happy days
The one we stayed at (La Seguiniere , Nr Cholet) had an excellent borne, with a spout to empty your cassette into, I was impressed. The actual aire was a little bit stark, like some CCP places can be.

We have used the Caen ferry , I shall make a note of SFO.
Some on here have different views, I know, but I like the idea of CCP's offer.
More than a free aire but less than a full campsite.

Take care.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back