Lost drive belt on way home. (1 Viewer)

Sep 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590RS
Was away over the weekend in our 52 plate swift and lost the drive belt on the journey home. Managed to limp home with no battery charging or power steering (Leisure battery was charging through the split relay from the engine battery even though the engine battery was not charging). Its a Fiat Ducato November 52 (X244 I think is the model) 1.9 diesel. I hope its just the drive belt to replace, hydrualic pump for the power steering looked OK as its on the top of the engine, but it was too wet to look at the alternator. Worse case it could be we lost the alternator pulley bearing and it will need replacing. Question is if I do need a new alternator, what size is it?

I think the standard is 55AMP or possibly 90AMP, could it be a 90AMP or bigger as it is charging the engine and leisure batteries through the split charge relay. Is there any way to tell the size of the alternator.

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
That must have been fun driving without power steering.
The only way to confirm the alternator size is from the part number on it, so you will probably have to take it out. They come in all sizes up to 180 amp at a guess I would expect a 90 or 120 amp.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Size (output) will be on the alternator data plate, nowhere else.
If you can get hold of the pulley you'll feel if the bearing has failed but most likely just simple belt wear especially on a 22 year old van..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
FrankNicklin
Sep 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590RS
That must have been fun driving without power steering.
The only way to confirm the alternator size is from the part number on it, so you will probably have to take it out. They come in all sizes up to 180 amp at a guess I would expect a 90 or 120 amp.
Yes, only when pulling in to services did I realise how heavy the steering was, tootling along the motorway you don't notice it. Yes I'm thinking 90AMP being an old MH and not much power required for the batteries.

OP
OP
FrankNicklin
Sep 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590RS
Size (output) will be on the alternator data plate, nowhere else.
If you can get hold of the pulley you'll feel if the bearing has failed but most likely just simple belt wear especially on a 22 year old van..
Yes I'm hoping its just belt wear. Probably original and done 47K miles so I think on the limit of its life. Bit annoyed I didn't insist it was changed when I insisted the dealer did the CamBelt. At least it's a not critical element in that sense.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Yes I'm hoping its just belt wear. Probably original and done 47K miles so I think on the limit of its life. Bit annoyed I didn't insist it was changed when I insisted the dealer did the CamBelt. At least it's a not critical element in that sense.
Normally standard procedure to change the aux belts when doing the cambelt.

OP
OP
FrankNicklin
Sep 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590RS
Normally standard procedure to change the aux belts when doing the cambelt.

To be fair, it may have been and it is a bearing failure that caused the issue. I won't know until I can get to the MH to do a more in depth check.

Last edited:

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Had our neighbours belt go a short while back. The tensioner has seized and snapped the belt. Tensioner was £59 and replacement belt, so hopefully not as serious as a new alternator, unless it’s that which seized.

Good luck 🤞🏻

OP
OP
FrankNicklin
Sep 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590RS
Well the good news is that the pulleys all feel solid, no wobble or movement in the tensioners, alternator or power steering pump bearings. Also according to the invoice copy received from the dealer, the belt was replaced at the same time as the cam-belt but not good that it snapped unless it was badly installed. Job was completed on 22 Sept 2023, so barely 6 months ago. For the record the Alternator is a Valeo SG10B021 (96 428804 80) which is 90AMP.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
At 6 months the belt should look as new with visible print on the back.
If it looks old they lied.
Can't see how it could be badly fitted but could have had a fault.

OP
OP
FrankNicklin
Sep 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590RS
At 6 months the belt should look as new with visible print on the back.
If it looks old they lied.
Can't see how it could be badly fitted but could have had a fault.
Yes I agree but sadly belt is gone somewhere up the M5. I had previously looked at the belt and it looked OK and was running true. Could it have been over tensioned or not tensioned enough and jumped ship, guess I'll never know.
Should be able to get them to do it FOC.
Absolutly will be chasing this. I'll contact the dealer tommorrow.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2016
South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur LVX 9
Exp
since 2000
Does not say much about the customer care service from the dealer
changing the cambelt and replacing the old auxiliary drive belt

OP
OP
FrankNicklin
Sep 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590RS
Does not say much about the customer care service from the dealer
changing the cambelt and replacing the old auxiliary drive belt
The dealer sent the MH to a garage for the CamBelt and a service/MOT. According to the invoice I now have, the belt was changed, but how would I know if it was or it wasn't.

Nov 20, 2022
Congleton
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 494 lounge
Usually the belt tensioner fails,belt goes slack and jumps,replaced a tensioner on our x250 base with only 7 000 miles due to squealing belts on start up, otherwise quiet, after removing tensioner and spinning it by hand it seemed dry and rough, genuine belts and tensioner fitted all quiet again

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
Not siding with garage as an Ex garage owner, no belt no proof, and to top it all, nobody, except someone in heaven or hell knows why the belt broke 🤔

OP
OP
FrankNicklin
Sep 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590RS
Not siding with garage as an Ex garage owner, no belt no proof, and to top it all, nobody, except someone in heaven or hell knows why the belt broke 🤔
For sure. I didn't deal with the garage, the dealer did, so absolutely no proof as to whether the belt had been replaced.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back