Loose wing mirror on N&B Flair on a Mercedes Sprinter (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

SurreyNick

Free Member
Jun 5, 2022
Funster No
MH
Looking for one now
We're having problems with the driver's side wing mirror on our N&B Flair, which keeps moving out of position and it's dangerous, especially on the motorway. It's not the glass bit that's moving it's the housing itself and I can't see any way to tighten it. Has anyone else encountered a similar problem which they were able to fix? The N&B is built on a Mercedes Sprinter. I have circled on the attached picture where it is moving.
01.jpg

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Your mirror was made by the German company ‘Wilke’. I believe Wilke were swallowed up by Hella. I’m sure you will still be able to obtain one, but be prepared to pay top dollar.

Attached is a link for the inverse version of your mirror I believe.

I obtained one like yours through Southdowns Motorhome who were the sole dealer for Concorde, but it was expensive.

Broken Link Removed

Might be worth getting touch with the above, but take down all the numbers on the casing of your existing mirror.

I have on odd occasions seen second hand ones on www.eBay.de

You need to search for ‘wilke flügel spiegel’ or ‘wohnmobil flügel spiegel’

Good luck
Ken

Jul 14, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Dorest E
Exp
Jul 22
We're having problems with the driver's side wing mirror on our N&B Flair, which keeps moving out of position and it's dangerous, especially on the motorway. It's not the glass bit that's moving it's the housing itself and I can't see any way to tighten it. Has anyone else encountered a similar problem which they were able to fix? The N&B is built on a Mercedes Sprinter. I have circled on the attached picture where it is moving.
View attachment 736779
Hi
Same with ours on our Peugeot Boxer cab MH but on NS. Luckily happened upon purchase so coveted on warranty but they had to replace as the dealer said they aren't so much repairable. He tightened it up for us until the replacement was sourced which fixed it for a short-time, then went back to how it was

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
If you need a new one have you found how to get the old one off, then you may see if there is a way of tightening it, can you not take the mirror part off with the screws, then is there a way of tightening the bit that fixes to the bodywork?

Jul 14, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Dorest E
Exp
Jul 22
If you need a new one have you found how to get the old one off, then you may see if there is a way of tightening it, can you not take the mirror part off with the screws, then is there a way of tightening the bit that fixes to the bodywork?
Not saying this as a blanket term for all but, our dealer said tightening will only ever be a temporary fix (which it was for ours as it failed again after a month, driving it weekly) he said its a common occurance with vans. However, luckily he did cover the replacement of as he said you'd be forever tightening it up

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Not saying this as a blanket term for all but, our dealer said tightening will only ever be a temporary fix (which it was for ours as it failed again after a month, driving it weekly) he said its a common occurance with vans. However, luckily he did cover the replacement of as he said you'd be forever tightening it up
Which bit did your dealer replace, all of it including the part that fixes to the body?

Jul 14, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Dorest E
Exp
Jul 22
Which bit did your dealer replace, all of it including the part that fixes to the body?
Good question, I'm not too sure. I assumed the whole caboodle but now you say that, I wouldn't like to say.
Ours just kept caving in slowly towards to window....more so on faster roads, bloomin nightmare it was

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Try Wingmirrorman I have bought from them in the past, big discount compared with original and not inferior as far as I could see.

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Is the mirror pivoting backwards as you drive?

Have you considered some basic surgery? If you dismantle, you may find that you could shim it with some thin plastic/rubber/neoprene to enable the fixings through the pivot, when appropriately torqued, to provide good friction on the pivot point again.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Is the mirror pivoting backwards as you drive?

Have you considered some basic surgery? If you dismantle, you may find that you could shim it with some thin plastic/rubber/neoprene to enable the fixings through the pivot, when appropriately torqued, to provide good friction on the pivot point again.
I agree, as long as the bit secured to the actual wall is sound, it should be repairable.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
SurreyNick. We have these mirrors on our Flair, which are the same as on our old Hymer.
Remover the rubber gaiter from the lower plastic casing. Remove the 2 x cross head screws, and remove the plastic covers, (in 2 x halves). This will give you access to the fixings, which may only need tightening, both for the pivoting, and the wall anchorage.

Whilst in there investigating, undo the multiplug, and give both parts a spray with electrical contact cleaner. They are prone to corrosion and drying out, which causes intermittent operation of the motor, and the heater element.

Good luck sorting it out. (y)

If a replacement is needed, it's a coach mirror as fitted to some Neoplan coaches.

Mirrors-main.jpg

Cheers,

Jock. :)

OP
OP
S

SurreyNick

Free Member
Jun 5, 2022
Funster No
MH
Looking for one now
My apologies for failing to acknowledge or reply to any of your posts. I took ill suddenly and have been really quite poorly. I'm glad to say I am now well on the way to recovery and looking forward to getting out and about again.

Belated thanks for the really helpful posts. Earlier today I took the advice of some of you and dismantled the mirror to get at the pivot and have been able to tighten it, so the issue might be resolved. Fingers crossed!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back