Looking to buy first campervan (1 Viewer)

Aug 21, 2020
Kettering, Northants
Funster No
MH
Don't yet own one
Exp
Hi all,
We are looking to buy our first campervan. Have been researching for a while now and feel that I have narrowed the search down to a few vehicles.
We definitely want 3500kg max panel van conversion. Ideal layout would be rear lounge with couches at least 6ft 1inches to be used as either singles or big double. Want to be also able to put table up front for coffee, snacks etc. with both seats swivelling.

Don't want fixed bed as this compromises living area too much for me. Dont want drop down bed or anything that requires a ladder to climb into. Need cooker and grill. Also don't want driver seat hemmed in against wardrobe. Don't need or want more than two belted seats. This will be our van

Had initially come to the conclusion that Autotrail 635SE was the one but reading about all owner issues has rather put me off.
At the moment, the leading contenders are either the Consort Reef or Consort Oslo as like the u-shaped lounge which also gives us a boot. Not a deal breaker over barn door models but certainly a preference.
Vantage SOL also appears to fit the bill but quite a bit more money.
I quite like the fact that with Consort you are dealing with the folks who built your van.

Looking to buy new but not in any rush given the current situation.

Am I missing anything and any recommendations from you good people?

Rob

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Hi all,
We are looking to buy our first campervan. Have been researching for a while now and feel that I have narrowed the search down to a few vehicles.
We definitely want 3500kg max panel van conversion. Ideal layout would be rear lounge with couches at least 6ft 1inches to be used as either singles or big double. Want to be also able to put table up front for coffee, snacks etc. with both seats swivelling.

Don't want fixed bed as this compromises living area too much for me. Dont want drop down bed or anything that requires a ladder to climb into. Need cooker and grill. Also don't want driver seat hemmed in against wardrobe. Don't need or want more than two belted seats. This will be our van

Had initially come to the conclusion that Autotrail 635SE was the one but reading about all owner issues has rather put me off.
At the moment, the leading contenders are either the Consort Reef or Consort Oslo as like the u-shaped lounge which also gives us a boot. Not a deal breaker over barn door models but certainly a preference.
Vantage SOL also appears but quite a bit more money.
I quite like the fact that with Consort you are dealer with the folks who built your van.

Rob

The Consort owner used to own Vantage, at Vantage the only colour you could get was silver, is he doing the same now he's at Consort?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The East Neuk Touring L fits your requirements I think - and you will buy from the people who built it, not a dealer. Quality of construction streets ahead of the mass-produced stuff. I've got a Murvo Morocco which also ticks all you boxes except the rear lounge - but you gain in other ways. Try sitting in one with the side door open and you will recognise why we love ours. :)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We also looked at the Autotrail 635SE when we replaced our motorhome last November, and liked it very much.

I would suggest that the “bad” reports you have read about Autotrail probably major on water 💦 ingress issues. That is more of a problem for coachbuilt m/hs rather than PVCs.

Good luck with your research.

May 29, 2020
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Westfalia Columbus
Exp
Since March 2024
Consort Vans Conversions were at the Shepton Mallet Show. They will be at the Lincoln Show in two weekends time (if it is still going on!). Not too far from Kettering for you.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Welcome.
You will have much to learn and most of that must come from personal experience. I'd advise buying second hand with a view to changing after a year or two. I think you should lose less that way. Second hand vehicles often come with a few extras for no additional charge.
Enjoy the Fun!

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Two years of research, 12 months of serious searching discarding many used vans......people’s impression of immaculate is not the same as ours.

Finally decided on new, ordered in January (pre lockdown), pick up tomorrow. Total 3 years and 9 months from start to finish. (y)

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Welcome RobbieBear . Hope you are enjoying getting sound advice from the amazing members on here... they are so knowledgeable. Let us know how you go on.

Jun 13, 2020
Bradford
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T68 XV.
Exp
have you looked at the Sun Living v65sl

in the rear due to a false floor you can easily have bench seats which are large enough for single beds, or raise the false floor and make a large double. Also give lots of storage space.

the 2021 model trim looks better also.

its a 4 seater, but gives a dining area at the front to give more options, the hire dealer said they could fit oven/grill.

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Welcome from Ciren!

Take your time, don’t rush to buy, and do get a ‘used’ ‘van first - it’s cheaper that way (usually!) when you replace it with something more suitable.........

:unsure: ;)(y)

OP
OP
R
Aug 21, 2020
Kettering, Northants
Funster No
MH
Don't yet own one
Exp
Wow, so many replies! Where to start?

The Consort owner used to own Vantage, at Vantage the only colour you could get was silver, is he doing the same now he's at Consort?

I think all the Consort vans are white.
The East Neuk Touring L fits your requirements I think - and you will buy from the people who built it, not a dealer. Quality of construction streets ahead of the mass-produced stuff. I've got a Murvo Morocco which also ticks all you boxes except the rear lounge - but you gain in other ways. Try sitting in one with the side door open and you will recognise why we love ours. :)
Not come across those. Will have to check those out.
We also looked at the Autotrail 635SE when we replaced our motorhome last November, and liked it very much.

I would suggest that the “bad” reports you have read about Autotrail probably major on water 💦 ingress issues. That is more of a problem for coachbuilt m/hs rather than PVCs.
Aaah, that's worth knowing. Will try to find one to view. Trouble is all few and far between atm.

Good luck with your research.
Devon conversions may have what you are looking for.
Another one to check out, thanks.
Consort Vans Conversions were at the Shepton Mallet Show. They will be at the Lincoln Show in two weekends time (if it is still going on!). Not too far from Kettering for you.
Yes, have booked tickets. That will be my first show! Provided it goes ahead. Hoping to see others to compare.
have you looked at the Sun Living v65sl

Will check that one out too, thanks.
Welcome from Ciren
Take your time, don’t rush to buy, and do get a ‘used’ ‘van first - it’s cheaper that way (usually!) when you replace it with something more suitable.........

:unsure: ;)(y)

Thanks to all for advice. Got bit of googling do later today. Cheers

OP
OP
R
Aug 21, 2020
Kettering, Northants
Funster No
MH
Don't yet own one
Exp
Welcome.
You will have much to learn and most of that must come from personal experience. I'd advise buying second hand with a view to changing after a year or two. I think you should lose less that way. Second hand vehicles often come with a few extras for no additional charge.
Enjoy the Fun!
Initially had thought to go for a nearly new one. My problem is finding the layout we want. Very few to actually go and see.
When we had found ones to look at, they were not far off the new price!
Two years of research, 12 months of serious searching discarding many used vans......people’s impression of immaculate is not the same as ours.

Finally decided on new, ordered in January (pre lockdown), pick up tomorrow. Total 3 years and 9 months from start to finish. (y)
I am not in a rush. Would like to get it right first time if at all possible. It's a lot of money.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Remember a rear lounge reduces load space, and remember beds can be used to chill out on in the daytime!
An afternoon kip on the bed is far more comfortable than a narrow couch.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Hi all,

Vantage SOL also appears to fit the bill but quite a bit more money.
I quite like the fact that with Consort you are dealing with the folks who built your van.

Rob
Hymer make some <Broken link removed> but you won’t get a U shapes lounge.

Jul 4, 2013
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
IH 600RD
Exp
Since 2017
We were in the same position as you over 3 years ago . Originally looking to buy secondhand but then whilst visiting the Motorhome show at Norwich saw just what we wanted displayed on IH stand and bought the display model . OK a bit expensive and like you we wanted to get it right first time . Not once have I regretted this purchase and not once have I seen a PVC that I preferred to our van. IH are lovely people to deal with and their vans seem to hold there value quite well plus patriotic I know but you are also supporting a British company [ cue Rule Britannia ] .

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Remember a rear lounge reduces load space, and remember beds can be used to chill out on in the daytime!
An afternoon kip on the bed is far more comfortable than a narrow couch.
Wise words and only takes a couple of seconds to make that bed for an afternoon nap. Ours is only 5.4 M long but contains everything for a great time away.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
We were in the same position as you over 3 years ago . Originally looking to buy secondhand but then whilst visiting the Motorhome show at Norwich saw just what we wanted displayed on IH stand and bought the display model . OK a bit expensive and like you we wanted to get it right first time . Not once have I regretted this purchase and not once have I seen a PVC that I preferred to our van. IH are lovely people to deal with and their vans seem to hold there value quite well plus patriotic I know but you are also supporting a British company [ cue Rule Britannia ] .
Nice company and product although I Would not swap our Hymer for an IH though

OP
OP
R
Aug 21, 2020
Kettering, Northants
Funster No
MH
Don't yet own one
Exp
Hi, thanks for all the advice.

We think the next step is to potter up to Lincoln at the end of next week and see what is about. Fingers crossed, it goes ahead.
Our daughter goes to Lincoln Uni on 12th October so we could go via Brownlows and, hopefully, they may have some more stock to look at by then.

We have tugged a large caravan for some 15 years, albeit with the kids and one thing we never wanted in a caravan was a fixed bed. Given the much smaller size of a panel van, we think the lounge facilities would be compromised too much.
We made up the bed/beds every night with no problem (apart from the roll-out slats which were forever jamming - thank goodness they got rid of that system!). As teachers we used to go away for up to a month and managed with the couches-to-bed conversions. I will say that, after a month, we always enjoyed being back in our own bed at home but, whilst away managed to sleep OK.

Looked at Sun Living one online. I couldnt move on from the fact that the floor seemed to be all different levels in the lounge but things might be different if we saw one for real.

Looked at Devon Conversions and a couple of models really caught my eye - Aztec L and XL. Unfortunately, the brochure downloads did not work.

Have looked at IH but they do seem a bit more than we wanted to pay. We may return to the more expensive variants like these or Hymer if we can't find something that fits the bill.

As my gran used to say, "No point spoilin t'ship for ha'peth of tar" but when the ha'peth of tar is more like 5-10K, then it is pushing it a bit for us..

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Vantage motorhomes will also do something that fits your description.

As an owner of a new bought PVC, and having never had a camper / motorhome / caravan before, whilst I note that many have a rule of thumb not to buy new, and that you need 3 MH's before you've found the one, if you do your research, and don't rush, you can get it right first time. My Autotrail V-Line has the right layout for me, was well equipped for the price and reasonably built. Yes the leisure battery capacity was pants, and I've tightened a couple of screws, but I don't expect to rush to change it. There may be "better" vans, but not in the price that I was prepared to pay.

And for me the rear lounge just works even if it does mean I have to make the bed up. Much more practical that a front lounge layout where that bed would be in the way through out the day.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Wow, so many replies! Where to start?

Thanks to all for advice. Got bit of googling do later today. Cheers

I can't see Consort selling loads when all they do is white vans, seriously?

I was saying it tongue in cheek about the silver when he owned Vantage.

OP
OP
R
Aug 21, 2020
Kettering, Northants
Funster No
MH
Don't yet own one
Exp
Vantage motorhomes will also do something that fits your description.

Yes, we like the Vantage Sol but it's expensive. We found a few nearly new ones advertised but there were almost at the price of a new Consort Reef which looks practically the same van

As an owner of a new bought PVC, and having never had a camper / motorhome / caravan before, whilst I note that many have a rule of thumb not to buy new, and that you need 3 MH's before you've found the one, if you do your research, and don't rush, you can get it right first time.

That's my approach too. It's a lot of money to drop getting it wrong a couple of times. In some ways, taking our time means we may be able to stretch more when we do buy.

My Autotrail V-Line has the right layout for me, was well equipped for the price and reasonably built. Yes the leisure battery capacity was pants, and I've tightened a couple of screws, but I don't expect to rush to change it. There may be "better" vans, but not in the price that I was prepared to pay.

Looking at the price of new At 635SE the price is quite similar to the Consort or Devon equivalent. I need to see these vans.

And for me the rear lounge just works even if it does mean I have to make the bed up. Much more practical that a front lounge layout where that bed would be in the way through out the day.

I agree. I think a U shaped lounge might be even better as it gives me a boot.

OP
OP
R
Aug 21, 2020
Kettering, Northants
Funster No
MH
Don't yet own one
Exp
QUOTE="CazPaul, post: 4096519, member: 17128"

[/QUOTE]

Well, if they are to believed (no reason not to) they advised that sales are double normal.
Was told that if wait till end September then delivery would be this time next year. Must be selling a few.
I think the van looks quite smart in white but I drive a white car so Hey ho.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
QUOTE="CazPaul, post: 4096519, member: 17128"

Well, if they are to believed (no reason not to) they advised that sales are double normal.
Was told that if wait till end September then delivery would be this time next year. Must be selling a few.
I think the van looks quite smart in white but I drive a white car so Hey ho.

[/QUOTE]

At the minute every dealer is doing brilliantly regardless, I am shocked that white is the only colour

A straight NO from me immediately, he is obviously getting the base van really cheap in white.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back