Looking for something different in the way of van graphics? (1 Viewer)

Herbyventures

Free Member
Oct 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit selfbui
Exp
The DVLA are insistent that a van conversion must include motorhome graphics, but we found most of what is made for Transits is aimed at 'Race van' conversions. I didn't want chequered flags, go faster stripes or tyre prints, nor did I want generic swooshes (though they can look good if designed to go with panels on the bodywork), so we found this Spanish company online:
I must warn you, the customer service is non existent. They do not acknowledge receipt of your order. They do not answer emails. There is no tracking information. You will wait several weeks and they are not cheap. All you will receive is a Paypal receipt and it was not until we contacted Paypal that we got any kind of reply from the company. However, the vinyl stickers, when they arrive are well designed, top quality and look great. We ordered more and yes, went through the above process all over again! But if you fancy something different in the way of graphics, worth a look.
(incidentally the little campervan legend in the photo is from a company called Hippy Motors, who are lovely and do sweet, small scale decals, very reasonably priced. My wording, they did it to order)

Attachments

• van decal.jpg
    van decal.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 207
  • van graphic 2.jpg
    van graphic 2.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 201
May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
I'd have thought there were loads of Companies around who could either take a design and make it into a graphic, or even do the same from a photo. Are they really that rare that you have to go to a Spanish Company ?

Either way, I think the hardest part might be deciding what you'd like to display on the sides of your Motorhome ?

I have a spare wheel and the cover on the back of our MH, is about 26" in dia. black plastic just crying out for some form of graphic on it, but for the life of me can't think what would look good.

OP
OP
Herbyventures

Herbyventures

Free Member
Oct 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit selfbui
Exp
I'd have thought there were loads of Companies around who could either take a design and make it into a graphic, or even do the same from a photo. Are they really that rare that you have to go to a Spanish Company ?

Either way, I think the hardest part might be deciding what you'd like to display on the sides of your Motorhome ?

I have a spare wheel and the cover on the back of our MH, is about 26" in dia. black plastic just crying out for some form of graphic on it, but for the life of me can't think what would look good.
We found that all of the local companies we tried were closed due to Coronavirus.

Oct 7, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
since 1980
I don't understand the DVLA reasoning on this, there are many van conversions around without any so called graphics.
This cannot be a legal requirement, what legally constitutes motor home graphics ?
Maybe a small sign somewhere saying ' this is a motorhome '

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
I don't understand the DVLA reasoning on this, there are many van conversions around without any so called graphics.
This cannot be a legal requirement, what legally constitutes motor home graphics ?
Yes there many but possibly the owners have not bothered to re classify from Van.
it is a DVLA requirement and their current interpretation is looking as though they like swirly graphics not lines like mine, as when I tried to reclassify my conversion as a motor caravan ( their title not mine) take a look at https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...van/converting-a-vehicle-into-a-motor-caravan
9F78E260-B80C-40BA-9BFF-1C739B159163.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 7, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
since 1980
Hi Otter Spotter,

Thanks for the lead to the DVLA info.
I think that you will note that it is guidance for them to consider your application and not mandatory to have graphics, I may be miss understanding it but I think that if you have all the internal requirements and side windows etc then the lack of so called motor home graphics would not present an issue.
From the look of your very nice van, I really cannot understand their objection.
My Hymer just has 3 small horizontal lines near the back, much less graphics than yours.
The DVLA obviously must obey the law, and this issue with graphics seems to be far too vague, how on earth who can decide what legally constitutes sufficient motor home graphics.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Hi Otter Spotter,

Thanks for the lead to the DVLA info.
I think that you will note that it is guidance for them to consider your application and not mandatory to have graphics, I may be miss understanding it but I think that if you have all the internal requirements and side windows etc then the lack of so called motor home graphics would not present an issue.
From the look of your very nice van, I really cannot understand their objection.
My Hymer just has 3 small horizontal lines near the back, much less graphics than yours.
I think it is pot luck you deals with your application.
thanks for your kind comments about my van, graphics cost £250 and he came around to my home to fit. I think it may have be3n because of the use of full auto glass and not caravan style windows. My wife thinks it’s because I didn’t extend the awning out fir the photos 🤪

Oct 7, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
since 1980
Who ever deals with it has to obey the law.
Challenge their decision.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
The DVLA are insistent that a van conversion must include motorhome graphics, but we found most of what is made for Transits is aimed at 'Race van' conversions. I didn't want chequered flags, go faster stripes or tyre prints, nor did I want generic swooshes (though they can look good if designed to go with panels on the bodywork), so we found this Spanish company online:
I must warn you, the customer service is non existent. They do not acknowledge receipt of your order. They do not answer emails. There is no tracking information. You will wait several weeks and they are not cheap. All you will receive is a Paypal receipt and it was not until we contacted Paypal that we got any kind of reply from the company. However, the vinyl stickers, when they arrive are well designed, top quality and look great. We ordered more and yes, went through the above process all over again! But if you fancy something different in the way of graphics, worth a look.
(incidentally the little campervan legend in the photo is from a company called Hippy Motors, who are lovely and do sweet, small scale decals, very reasonably priced. My wording, they did it to order)
There's a guy on eBay does the same ones

Lucky

Free Member
Nov 9, 2019
Limousin France & Yorkshire UK
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 600XV
Exp
Since 2016
I have every sympathy for anyone trying to persuade DVLC that their graphics are up to par. In fact I have a sense of guilt that the graphics provided by the manufacturer on my new campervan are so sparse, i.e. virtually non existent! I don't know how Sunlight get away with it but guess they don't have to address the lack of commonsense exhibited by some people at DVLC.
Lg49Moaw.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Herbyventures

Herbyventures

Free Member
Oct 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit selfbui
Exp
I have every sympathy for anyone trying to persuade DVLC that their graphics are up to par. In fact I have a sense of guilt that the graphics provided by the manufacturer on my new campervan are so sparse, i.e. virtually non existent! I don't know how Sunlight get away with it but guess they don't have to address the lack of commonsense exhibited by some people at DVLC.
View attachment 428228
That's very smart.

OP
OP
Herbyventures

Herbyventures

Free Member
Oct 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit selfbui
Exp
We found it baffling. But when we had finished our van it did still kind of look like a big white van especially from behind so we felt the need to decorate it. It's more for our benefit that that of the DVLA. When we parked it on a camp site recently we didn't feel it stuck out as 'converted white van' too much, especially with the dog garden and awning up!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back