Looking for some recommendations where to stop on way and final location (1 Viewer)

CharlieBravo

Free Member
Oct 10, 2021
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Hi all, Decided it might be a good idea to drive from the UK all the way down to Southern Spain for December / Christmas.
It will be our first Abroad trip and I don't really know where I should plan stops on the way.
I hear most of Europe has great aires but some near trunk routes are a bit dicey.
So recommendations of where to stop on the way would be good.
Google is saying it's roughly 24 hrs of driving so I can't see that we can do this in one hit even if we tag team it, her indoors can't drive far either so it'll be me doing most of it.
I don't really know where to look for nice campsites for the destination so I kinda zoomed in to Gibratar on google and worked my way up the coast til I found motorhomes parked here. haha
Broken Link Removed
Probably not the best way find a campsite so I thought I'd ask here before I do anything silly.
Ideally there needs to be a supermarket relatively near by and close to the beach as she can't walk far. Lots of English people would probably keep her happy too lol
So do you all have any ideas for me to look into.
I'm currently trying to get a gas safe register bloke out to check over the new boiler I've fitted and having issues there but once that's done I'll be more confident at nailing down a proper final destination.
Cheers all

OP
OP
CharlieBravo

CharlieBravo

Free Member
Oct 10, 2021
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Reply back from BellaVista just now, they are full anyway :( bummer

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
I've seen lots of posts discussing routes to Spain so no doubt an expert will be along soon. Have a great trip 👍

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
If you want lots of English people in Spain in the winter this thread might interest you 👍

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Do get advice on routes in the winter months unless you have winter tyres or snow chains.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Assuming you are driving down through France there are plenty of Aires de Camping Car (don't use the motorway aires, been too many thefts). The only problem is that the water is likely to be turned off for the winter although you can probably dump waste. Some of the busier motorway service areas may have the water still on - we managed a refill using a watering can. Spain also has plenty of aires but again water may be turned off - or frozen! Remember most of central Spain is well over 2000ft amsl so it gets bloody cold!

As for locating them we use the "All The Aires" books but of course there are various electronic sources too.

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Do get advice on routes in the winter months unless you have winter tyres or snow chains.
It's always a good idea to have a set of chains tucked away somewhere in a locker if you travel a lot in the winter months. In the mountains you can still need them even if you have proper winter tyres.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
search for sites park for night and kamper contact on your smartphone or dvice will find you a spot

OP
OP
CharlieBravo

CharlieBravo

Free Member
Oct 10, 2021
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
I Forgot I posted this woops!!
yea already downloaded park for night and camper contact. Hadn't thought about the ice though i must admit, don't think its new boots are M+S compliant either damn it.. the whole point of going is to get away from the cold weather. That could wreck any plans completely now!!
just doing sums though its looking like approx £750 in diesel, does that sound about right for 3070 miles ish
then a month in campsite is looking to be another £500 at least.
ahhhhhhh bed time i think, too much to think about at this hour!

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
I Forgot I posted this woops!!
yea already downloaded park for night and camper contact. Hadn't thought about the ice though i must admit, don't think its new boots are M+S compliant either damn it.. the whole point of going is to get away from the cold weather. That could wreck any plans completely now!!
just doing sums though its looking like approx £750 in diesel, does that sound about right for 3070 miles ish
then a month in campsite is looking to be another £500 at least.
ahhhhhhh bed time i think, too much to think about at this hour!
Ah yes it adds up doesn't it. You could always rent an airbnb apartment in the southern spain area for easily 800 euros for a month and fly out to Malaga for probably less than £100 each return. Saves a lot of dreary winter driving :whatthe:

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Ah yes it adds up doesn't it. You could always rent an airbnb apartment in the southern spain area for easily 800 euros for a month and fly out to Malaga for probably less than £100 each return. Saves a lot of dreary winter driving :whatthe:
That is probably what we would do if we wanted a month in the winter sun lazing about in the same place, especially because car hire will be cheap at that time.

But that is not how we want to use our motorhome. For us the important bit is the journey, not a "destination". When we go into Europe we never have a definite destination or plan when we leave, and don't book any sites. We then just follow our nose and try to find the warm weather.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Just avoid mountain passes, easy enough to spot If you use a map for routing.
We've travelled through France and Spain numerous times in the winter, the roads tend to be clearer. only issue is getting water so travel with more.

I find aires books hopelessly out of date so use

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
That is probably what we would do if we wanted a month in the winter sun lazing about in the same place, especially because car hire will be cheap at that time.

But that is not how we want to use our motorhome. For us the important bit is the journey, not a "destination". When we go into Europe we never have a definite destination or plan when we leave, and don't book any sites. We then just follow our nose and try to find the warm weather.
I absolutely agree that the journey is half the fun but at that time of year, unless you are very lucky, the journey is likely to be very wet, grey, foggy and cold with short daylight hours If the OP is just driving directly to his destination to spend a month on a site and then back again it's not really going to be a fun journey.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I absolutely agree that the journey is half the fun but at that time of year, unless you are very lucky, the journey is likely to be very wet, grey, foggy and cold with short daylight hours If the OP is just driving directly to his destination to spend a month on a site and then back again it's not really going to be a fun journey.
That is why I would fly that time of year

Apr 24, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
RMB Concorde
Exp
Since 2010
Weve done November and December down to Tarifa 4 or 5 times
france can be a bit dreary on the way back! But we used bottles and watering can to fill from taps when water switched off.
we hit snow near Burgos once or twice but the roads were very quickly cleared and it wasn’t far before we hit the sunshine
the Atlantic coast was always clear of snow
personally I’d rather be heading down towards Burgos once in Spain than through the Pyrannees and over the central massif
depends where you’re going !

Apr 24, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
RMB Concorde
Exp
Since 2010
I can point you to our stops if you think you’ll go that way

OP
OP
CharlieBravo

CharlieBravo

Free Member
Oct 10, 2021
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Idea cancelled. Don't want to put mud and snows on it, as just before the pandemic I put a full set of conti van contact boots on it. Humbug!
if I was to fly I wouldn't be going to Spain, I'd go to Maldives and do some diving instead but not at Christmas. eeeks!
might just Go to Cornwall if any of the CL's are open.
deflated.

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
You don't actually NEED to fit winter tyres The new law in France allows the the use of chains instead. The official rules are below, translated from here:- https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/actualites/A14389

Screenshot_20211013-223118.png

Jan 4, 2017
beds
Funster No
MH
burstner
Exp
This is my route next month, Gravelines just of the Calais ferry, second night Flagey,third night, Lyon, fourth Palavas, fifth, l hospitalat de enfants, then your in Costa Blanca. al sites open in the winter.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Just get in your van and go don’t be put off by these regs you’ll be ok if you head South towards Biaritz then cross into Spain and head south we have never encountered snow in last seven or eight years of travelling in late Nov early December.
Get out and enjoy 🤔😊😊😊

Louisesjpp

Free Member
Oct 27, 2021
Navarra, Spain
Funster No
MH
McLouis Nevis 873
Exp
New to this
Look at the app Park4Night, it gives you places to stop, with user feedback on them: good, bad, what's there, what's not there. Mainly free places to stop over. Supermarket carparks are a very popular choice for overnighters when travelling.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back