Looking for our first motorhome (1 Viewer)

apm101

Free Member
Feb 16, 2017
Bromley, Kent
Funster No
MH
Nothing yet...
Exp
Total newbie
Hi all,

We're looking for our first van, and have found a 2007 Orian Aquilas locally to where we are camping with our hire van. We really like the size, layout and general feel of it, but before we committed, I thought I would consult the collective mind of the forum about it. I've read a review that was mostly positive with one or two caveats, and I am still minded that this is a good option (it has added bonus of captains chairs, air con, awning and solar panels. We're a family of two adults and an eight-year old, will sometimes travel with another adult or kid of a similar age. We will travel in the UK and near continent.

Any other models that are good in this range? We're looking to spend £25 - £30k, and would like over cab bed, French rear bed or u-shaped lounge, dinette and length about 6.5-7m.

Cheers in advance,

Alex.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
welcome animated smiley3.gif

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I think Orion were based on Autosleeper vans, at least when I had an Autosleeper Orion made a very similar unit.
They may have gone out of business, for I have not seen any since about 2008. I think there may be alternatives that can offer more back-up.
Nobody can suggest better models, for we are all biased towards our own requirements, layout, looks and loyalties.
Please visit a large Motorhome show, there are plenty coming up, where you can make choices based on a wide range of vans.
Layout, your social needs, price and a lack of damp would all come high in my selection. Vans are very expensive and it is a good idea to buy once rather than regret what you may have missed considering.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Alex,
A warm welcome to the club although I can't offer much in the way of advice other than I believe Orion no longer build motorhomes.
As has been previously said layout differs widely with everyones 'ideal' being a personal matter. I would suggest looking and visiting as many dealers and shows as you possibly can to try out every aspect of your chosen layout, have a pretend meal, shower, toilet visit etc etc, It is all part of the fun, good hunting out there .
Norman.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
If you're having occasional extra passengers, do make sure there are enough proper belted seats for everyone you are likely to take. There will rarely be more than four, but often may be less.

Upvote 0

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi all,

We're looking for our first van, We're looking to spend £25 - £30k, and would like over cab bed, French rear bed or u-shaped lounge, dinette and length about 6.5-7m.

Cheers in advance,

Alex.
Hi Alex

Come and pay us a visit and have a browse round, one never knows!

Peter

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Another big issue is payload, ensure that any van you buy will have enough. Take your time and look at lots and lots of vans. A big show is a really good idea to see all the different types and layouts. We spent a long time looking and researching what we wanted. We still didnt get it totally right and changed vans after a couple of years.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Hi and welcome to FUN, Get the layout right and your laughing but as some on here can testify it can take up to your third van before you get there, so do your research carefully, visit as many dealers and Motorhome shows as you can before parting with your money.

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Great advice already. Layout is your option. Seats for the kiddies needs belts. Johns Cross is down the road.

In relation to the Solar panels and other things like lpg gas or bike racks, these can be added so i wouldnt let that deter you if you didnt have them. Just noticed you only need a maximum of 4 so you should be fine for choice and your budget should ensure a very reasonable first van.

Make sure you check out the multi purchase of eurotunnel tickets as from where you are it hsa to a be a great option with the kids.

Get down to johns Cross and have a good shifty down there if you havent done so already

Oh and welcome

Upvote 0

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Hi Alex
Welcome to the forum
Pay your subs and join up that will give you access to the resources tab where you will find the motorhome buyers guide which you can download foc.
Good luck with your search.

Upvote 0

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
My priorities will always be:
Get that thing under the bonnet checked by a professional.

Make sure you really understand payload and don't always believe what the dealer tells you about the van he's trying to sell you - many smaller dealers have no clue about payload.

Don't decide on your layout until you've really tested many of them.

Upvote 0

norrie14

Free Member
Apr 24, 2011
glasgow
Funster No
MH
roller team
Exp
hi I have a motorhome for sale in the for sale part of the forum which should let you see some other models that offer same as you are looking for its a CI MIZAR if you can have a look

Upvote 0
OP
OP
apm101

apm101

Free Member
Feb 16, 2017
Bromley, Kent
Funster No
MH
Nothing yet...
Exp
Total newbie
Thanks everyone for your welcomes and advice- sounds like a lots of good sense.

I've been furtling around looking for information, and it's pretty complicated! Nothing I've read suggests that the Orian is a bad van, mostly positive. Looks like Orian was a sub-brand of Autosleeper, designed to appeal to 'younger buyers'. Apparently, they were too expensive to really appeal, and they ditched the idea shortly afterwards. It really appeals to us as it has a versatile social area, proper bed, is relatively short and has a low front (without a high overcab area).

I have had a nose on the John Cross website, and you have a very promising Compass Suntour 180- we may pop in tomorrow to have a nose, if that's ok.

Loving it all so far!!

Alex.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back