Looking for a new motorhome... (1 Viewer)

Dibsy

Free Member
Sep 12, 2015
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
New...
We currently have a 2003 Pilote Atlantis A5 motorhome with bunk beds but are looking for a change as our now adult children don't want to come away with us any more.

We really like the layout of the Hymer B544 (around 2004) with the 2 extra travel seats, the bench at both sides and swivel front seats. I wonder if anyone can advise of other makes with similar models?

On my list so far I have Frankia i 650, Rapido 9048DF, Mirage 5000, Burstner Aviano i 645. All around the same age with a very maximum budget of £30000 but hopefully quite a but less.

Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
Hi,
Bought a 9048 new in 2012 and had that for a couple of years. Great van for two with drop down bed, big lounge and underfloor storage. The underfloor storage was OK but it is not very deep.
Now have Frankia 640, Auto with 150 engine and the duo-bed arrangement. the underfloor on this one is much deeper and spacious. Fantastic motorhome but comes at a price! There is only one dealer in the UK in Newark. SMC and to be fair they are the best motorhome dealers I've come across but its a 5 hours drive from North Devon! There are some older ones around but they seem to hold their price very well and probably wouldn't have the duo bed arrangement. Good luck with your search

May 5, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2011
We currently have a 2003 Pilote Atlantis A5 motorhome with bunk beds but are looking for a change as our now adult children don't want to come away with us any more.

We really like the layout of the Hymer B544 (around 2004) with the 2 extra travel seats, the bench at both sides and swivel front seats. I wonder if anyone can advise of other makes with similar models?

On my list so far I have Frankia i 650, Rapido 9048DF, Mirage 5000, Burstner Aviano i 645. All around the same age with a very maximum budget of £30000 but hopefully quite a but less.

I can only champion the B544 as an owner of the previous and last models.
Since Hymer stopped making them a few years ago they have had a resurgence and appear to hold their value well on the used market.

The double sofa layout offers a generous living space, greatly improved if you remove the huge banqueting table, which is there to provide support for an additional double bed if needed. We substituted ours for a fold up which is so much better.

At between 6m - 6.5m depending on the year, they offer a reasonably compact MH with plenty of space between the double floor. Strangely enough, the older 6m model has more overall storage space, especially for longer items. The only thing missing for me is a garage, available on the old B644 model.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Are these of any interest?

Jan 6, 2017
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
Exp
since 2014
You've just missed out on our Frankia i650SD. A great van, same layout as the Hymer 544. We sold it last week to Somerset Motorhome Centre, who were very fair and great to deal with. Maybe have a look and see if they are turning it around yet. You'll obviously pay more than we sold it to them for but with a warranty etc......and it should be well within your budget.

Great van and perfect for touring for two! We loved it!!

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
We thought our B544 was brilliant. Had it for 7 years. Only major change internally was to change the very large table for a extendable one which was quite an expensive option but it made the interior feel so much bigger. Never thought the lack of a large garage was an issue - you just have to be organised, bikes on a rack on the back. Premier motorhomes nr Chichester have one for sale - 2012 model.

OP
OP
D

Dibsy

Free Member
Sep 12, 2015
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
New...
Thank you, but not quite what we are looking for...

OP
OP
D

Dibsy

Free Member
Sep 12, 2015
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
New...
That looks really nice but much more than we can afford unfortunately...

We thought our B544 was brilliant. Had it for 7 years. Only major change internally was to change the very large table for a extendable one which was quite an expensive option but it made the interior feel so much bigger. Never thought the lack of a large garage was an issue - you just have to be organised, bikes on a rack on the back. Premier motorhomes nr Chichester have one for sale - 2012 model.

OP
OP
D

Dibsy

Free Member
Sep 12, 2015
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
New...
Thank you for that.

This one? https://www.somersetmotorhomecentre.co.uk/showroom/a-class/frankia-i-650-sd/

I may see if we can go and see it. Although I'm working all weekend so we'll have to see...

You've just missed out on our Frankia i650SD. A great van, same layout as the Hymer 544. We sold it last week to Somerset Motorhome Centre, who were very fair and great to deal with. Maybe have a look and see if they are turning it around yet. You'll obviously pay more than we sold it to them for but with a warranty etc......and it should be well within your budget.

Great van and perfect for touring for two! We loved it!!

OP
OP
D

Dibsy

Free Member
Sep 12, 2015
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
New...
Thanks for your reply. It's always nice to get some first hand experience.

I can only champion the B544 as an owner of the previous and last models.
Since Hymer stopped making them a few years ago they have had a resurgence and appear to hold their value well on the used market.

The double sofa layout offers a generous living space, greatly improved if you remove the huge banqueting table, which is there to provide support for an additional double bed if needed. We substituted ours for a fold up which is so much better.

At between 6m - 6.5m depending on the year, they offer a reasonably compact MH with plenty of space between the double floor. Strangely enough, the older 6m model has more overall storage space, especially for longer items. The only thing missing for me is a garage, available on the old B644 model.

May 5, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2011

Just found a 2004 Hymer B544 at Red Lion Caravans Southport.
Priced at £25995 with 74,000 miles.
Might be worth a look if you haven’t already.
www.rlcaravans.co.uk
01704 206835

JimJams

Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
East Sussex / Kent
Funster No
MH
RV, A Class
Exp
since 2003
Thank you, but not quite what we are looking for...

You are more than welcome,

Can I ask is it an A Class specifically you were looking for?

I do get approached with numerous vehicles on a daily basis to purchase so I will be happy to let you know if something becomes available?

In the meantime good luck with your new motorhome search.. :D

James

OP
OP
D

Dibsy

Free Member
Sep 12, 2015
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
New...
Yes.

An A class, no fixed bed (just the drop down one over the cab), with bench style seats at the front on both sides. Like the Hymer B544. But open to other options. From about year 2003 considered due to our budget!

If you do come across anything I would be happy to hear about it..

Thanks again.

Davidica

You are more than welcome,

Can I ask is it an A Class specifically you were looking for?

I do get approached with numerous vehicles on a daily basis to purchase so I will be happy to let you know if something becomes available?

In the meantime good luck with your new motorhome search.. :D

James

OP
OP
D

Dibsy

Free Member
Sep 12, 2015
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
New...
Yes, I've seen that one. It's in my list of possibles but Southport is a long way from me...

Thanks for looking though. It's much appreciated.

Davidica

Just found a 2004 Hymer B544 at Red Lion Caravans Southport.
Priced at £25995 with 74,000 miles.
Might be worth a look if you haven’t already.
www.rlcaravans.co.uk
01704 206835

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

Are you discounting them Peter? :D?

with a very maximum budget of £30000 but hopefully quite a but less.

May 5, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2011
Yes, I've seen that one. It's in my list of possibles but Southport is a long way from me...

Thanks for looking though. It's much appreciated.

Davidica
I quite understand. We had to do exactly the same and do a quick 320 mile round trip dash to find ours. Glad we did as 3 other couples turned up just after us and wanted to buy. Good ones are becoming rare and sell quick.

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
Unfortunately I can’t put a link on, but on Facebook there is a Hymer specific for sale/wanted site called The Hymermarket.

I’ve just seen a very nice looking 584 posted, £18,995 which might work for you.

It has one bench seat and a forward facing but spinnable captains chair in the back..

I know nothing about the van nor if it’s any good but it might be worth looking at.

Good luck with the search.

OP
OP
D

Dibsy

Free Member
Sep 12, 2015
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
New...
Thank you. Nice, but not quite what we are after...

Unfortunately I can’t put a link on, but on Facebook there is a Hymer specific for sale/wanted site called The Hymermarket.

I’ve just seen a very nice looking 584 posted, £18,995 which might work for you.

It has one bench seat and a forward facing but spinnable captains chair in the back..

I know nothing about the van nor if it’s any good but it might be worth looking at.

Good luck with the search.

OP
OP
D

Dibsy

Free Member
Sep 12, 2015
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
New...
Thanks for your help everyone. We went to look at the one is Southport in the end and I'm pleased to say we are now the new owners (we'll we will be in 3 weeks) of a Hymer B544...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back