Long Stay Travel Insurance - Advice Needed Please (1 Viewer)

Skeggysue

Free Member
Sep 26, 2007
Skegness, Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic XL
Exp
Since 2004
Hi,
We are off to Spain for approx 120 days at the end of August and I just wanted to pick people's brains re travel insurance etc.
We have currently got annual worldwide cover (including our existing medical
conditions) which covers us for up to 65 consecutive days in one single trip, with a total number of 183 days in 1 policy year with AXA but to extend it up to 183 consecutive days in one single trip, AXA are quoting an extra £1300 for the pair of us!!!! That seems a hell of a lot of money on top of what we have already paid for our current premium, even though it does include both mine and my husband's existing medical conditions.
I have read posts from other members who say it's cheaper to fly home for a few days so that you can break the consecutive insurance days allowance up and start again so to speak, and then there are others who simply rely on the EHIC card alone for any medical treatment they may need whilst in Europe and they don't seem to worry about having any travel insurance. I'm not brave enough to risk no travel insurance at all but I'm wondering if anyone has any reassuring information re medical treatment in Spain using the EHIC card should the need arise?
I'm interested to hear other people's experiences and suggestions re long term travel insurance with existing medical conditions not to mention advice on what's the best solution?
Thank you.
Sue x

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
It depends on your actual health,,,We only used E111 for the last 15 years and it worked ok but neither of us was ever seriously ill whilst on holiday..We have both used A and E in Spain and were very well treated. We do get repatriation with our ADAC breakdown cover. Luckily last year we opened a Nationwide Plus account which included holiday insurance and claimed to recover our C and C rally fees for 88 nights in Spain because we were unable to travel,,,They paid out in full. It cost us an extra £90 for 90 days cover but we do not have any really serious ongoing health issues..BUSBY:):)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
You could go back once on a midweek budget flight for a lot less than the difference might be worth checking if an overnight stay is required to reset the clock.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
We get a 'single trip policy' - not annual - from sept to july as we are away that long!
Then knock off cancellation and baggage as we don't need either, so that leaves medical cover.
Only pay a couple of hundred quid.

We use Just travel cover.com

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
I would advise insurance at any cost . A neighbour here in France at their holiday home fell ill 3 weeks ago and has been in intensive care since and is still very ill and in a coma. Their insurance has been a saviour. Calling his wife and the hospital on a regular basis. Refunding flights back he had for appointment during their stay here. Offered 80 pounds per night for a hotel near the hospital for as long as he is there . As she wanted to stay in their home they are paying for a hire car up to the same value as a hotel ( They came down with the motorhome ) Also he will probably need repatriated by air ambulance in the future and also covered. The company is AIG and she pays monthly with her bank ( Clydesdale )
I am very impressed with their help but don't cover people who live outside the UK or I would take out their policy

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680ST
Exp
I'm wondering if anyone has any reassuring information re medical treatment in Spain using the EHIC card should the need arise?
I'm interested to hear other people's experiences and suggestions re long term travel insurance with existing medical conditions not to mention advice on what's the best solution?

Spain's health system is excellent we've have used it on several different occasions....that is both a local doctor/GP and the state hospitals...fantastic treatment.....if you go to Spain you definitely don't actually need health insurance the EHIC card is fine. The French system is different and you have to pay up front and claim it back.....at least I had to when I used it once....again the treatment was excellent.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Spain's health system is excellent we've have used it on several different occasions....that is both a local doctor/GP and the state hospitals...fantastic treatment.....if you go to Spain you definitely don't actually need health insurance the EHIC card is fine. The French system is different and you have to pay up front and claim it back.....at least I had to when I used it once....again the treatment was excellent.
This is true but E111 does not cover repatriation

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
But some breakdown insurance does,,ADAC for one,,BUSBY,,
It does indeed and we have it but I think lots of people think E111 is enough in Europe but if repatriation is needed you are not covered

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
This is true but E111 does not cover repatriation

correct,

but if I were ill or in an accident I'd rather be treated in an excellent French or Spanish hospital.. what's the rush to get back to the NHS ?

if dead.. i won't care, but in any case the van will be recovered by RAC Arrival

EHIC is all we have ever used and all we ever will use.. and surprise surprise.. most insurance companies small print also require you have an EHIC card .. I wonder why.

After BREXIT that may of course change..

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Looking at how many Europeans when on holiday use the NHS i can't see this changing post BREXIT,,BUSBY,,

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We have this travel insurance :
International Travel and Healthcare Limited
Caravan and Motorhome Travel insurance cover ONESTOP4

May 7, 2011
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Just spent hours searching online for travel insurance. Best price was from justtravelcover.com. Single trip of 7months, ages 70 and 68, with existing medical conditions, can choose countries and deselect baggage and cancellation cover. £282 then found a 14percent voucher code and got it for £242.

JFD

Apr 9, 2015
Crawley Down, West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Aventura G730
Exp
since 2014!
Travel insurance is important, if not essential, but don't forget other insurances, too. For example, your house insurance will normally include a condition that it becomes invalid if the house is not lived in for 30 consecutive days - not much use if you are planning on a seven week continental tour, as we did this year!

There are insurers who do cover longer absences, but you need to seek advice from an agent - we used Adrian Flux, who provided excellent advice.

Reactions: Pia

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back