Long Stay French Visa - Our application and interview/appointment. (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Dec 28, 2015
lake district
Funster No
MH
low profile mh
Exp
Since 2015
The registered keeper is the person responsible for the vehicle, while the owner is the person who has the legal right to the car. The UK system is designed to have only one person responsible for the vehicle, even if it's owned by multiple people. Ie only 1 registered keeper - insurance is a different matter - owner keeper and main driver can be different

May 5, 2022
Kidsgrove, North Staffordshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B778 PL
Exp
Since 1992
Leading on from the OP having to jump through hoops trying to explain why his partner was not on the Reg. Doc (V5) of the motorhome, it begs a question.

Does a 'privately' owned vehicle, in this case a motorhome, have to be Registered in one name or can it be, in the case of marriage Registered as being kept by two people.

I have to say I don't know.

Does anyone out there in Funsterland know.
I think it will depend on whether the application is in joint names. If so just write a letter as the named owner saying your partner has full access.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I think I know sueandjohn 's antecedent history and he/she/they??? have given the answer I would have given but,
I've never seen the 'Thou shalt not' etc. etc. written down.

I might just go and spend my last 6d on a second class stamp (That's what they cost, don't they?)and ask those peeps at Swansea

Dec 28, 2015
lake district
Funster No
MH
low profile mh
Exp
Since 2015
I think I know sueandjohn 's antecedent history and he/she/they??? have given the answer I would have given but,
I've never seen the 'Thou shalt not' etc. etc. written down.

I might just go and spend my last 6d on a second class stamp (That's what they cost, don't they?)and ask those peeps at Swansea
I had to ask the dvla just this, when we bought a vehicle (long story ) and the seller filled in the little tear off slip with the wrong name (wrong family member) (we should have filled it in of course) . I’m Sue (pronouns she her ) and hubby john (him , boss, person whose always right 🤣

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I had to ask the dvla just this, when we bought a vehicle (long story ) and the seller filled in the little tear off slip with the wrong name (wrong family member) (we should have filled it in of course) . I’m Sue (pronouns she her ) and hubby john (him , boss, person whose always right 🤣

whose always right
In your dreams. I've got one of those 'she/her' things as well. :rofl:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 5, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer B778 PL
Exp
Since 1992
I fresh update. HID reapplied for a TLS account on Tuesday but the site hard issues. She phoned the helpline and the person got an appointment for her because she had started the application and had got a TLS number. Train to Salford (even though they insist it is Manchester) to find the application did not have her nationality. This cannot be added by any staff so the application has to be done again and pay again. Not happy and the manager was informed, loudly.

Episode 3 tomorrow.

Mar 2, 2021
UK & Europe
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2017
Good luck.

Let us know how it goes. We are planning on doing the same later in the summer.

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Good luck.

Let us know how it goes. We are planning on doing the same later in the summer.
Will do

tbf the forms are quite straight forward and a bit of common sense, the itinery is also straight forward. The hardest part was getting the French website to work properly so I rang the call centre and they booked the appointment for me.

I'll get back to you tomorrow when we get back home (y)

OP
OP
daveclare
Jun 26, 2018
North West
Funster No
MH
Florium Wincester
Exp
Europe & USA since April '21
Appointment for our French visa's tomorrow 11am, i've gone through our forms 20 times and waiting for a call from daveclare to go through them again :ROFLMAO:

Wish us luck :crying:
::bigsmile:In the middle of using up some of our 6 month visa right now. Just arrived at Sur la plage Grimaud and will ring once we're settled (y)

May 5, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer B778 PL
Exp
Since 1992
Will do

tbf the forms are quite straight forward and a bit of common sense, the itinery is also straight forward. The hardest part was getting the French website to work properly so I rang the call centre and they booked the appointment for me.

I'll get back to you tomorrow when we get back home (y)
The appointment bit is TLS which is the contractor that France and about 20 other countries use to collate information for them. Their website is a disgrace. Do not be surprised if the interview centre is busy. There will be lots of 3rd Nation Nationals applying for visas. Manchester was full of Chinese students wanting to go the France for a couple of weeks.

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
The appointment bit is TLS which is the contractor that France and about 20 other countries use to collate information for them. Their website is a disgrace. Do not be surprised if the interview centre is busy. There will be lots of 3rd Nation Nationals applying for visas. Manchester was full of Chinese students wanting to go the France for a couple of weeks.
Yes we've been pre warned by 2 couples that have already gone through the process, both were successful though so all being well we will be ;) (y)

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
All pretty painless and went well

remember to put all your names including middle names on the application exactly as your passport or you’re going home to do it all again 😉

Also don’t take any guns with you or you’ll probably end up not needing a visa as you won’t be travelling anywhere 🤣

Last edited:

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
OK

so my passport with the French visa inserted (hopefully) is waiting for me to collect from our local sorting office.

It would have been delivered today before 1pm but we’re on our way to Manchester again to sort Val’s visa out 😉

I’ll report back

Mar 2, 2021
UK & Europe
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2017
Hello.

We will shortly be following in the footsteps of fellow Funsters and applying for a long-stay tourist visa. Before I start the process, could anyone assist with my questions below.

1. Can you start an online application, stop, save it and return to it.

2. Is it possible to do a joint application for a couple or do you have to do two separate applications.

3. Do you have to arrive and depart through France. We'd rather arrive through France and leave via Spain.

4. Will a copy of a Travel Insurance policy suffice for Health Insurance.

5. Can you use the same income information for each applicant.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

May 5, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer B778 PL
Exp
Since 1992
Hello. I will give you some answers.

1. Yes you can on the French visa section. With TLS i am not sure.
2. We tried to do this and failed but we are told it is possible.
3. I would assume you have to enter and depart via France. It is a French visa and not a Shengan Zone visa.
4. A GHIC or EHIC is suffice.
5. Yes we did.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
daveclare
Jun 26, 2018
North West
Funster No
MH
Florium Wincester
Exp
With regards to 2. You will have to make two initial applications, which they'll tie together when you arrange your appointments at the centre. Then when you visit. They'll ask you if you want to use the same information for both applications.

3. It states on the visa application website that you must enter and leave through France.

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
One thing to consider iss if you combine the 180 tourist visa and the 90 Schengen one you technically become liable for taxation in France as you are in the country for more than 180 in a year. Any country you spend more than 180 can be classed as you country of residence for tax purposes

OP
OP
daveclare
Jun 26, 2018
North West
Funster No
MH
Florium Wincester
Exp
In a previous thread there was some debate over whether a long stay French Visa allows the holder(s) to travel to any other Shengen country.
I did read something about spending the majority of your stay in France, for obvious reasons. However, I couldn't find this again when searching through the many pages on the French government website.

But I did find the below on the French government visa website which answers the question.
Screenshot_20230629-184339.png

May 5, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer B778 PL
Exp
Since 1992
In a previous thread there was some debate over whether a long stay French Visa allows the holder(s) to travel to any other Shengen country.
I did read something about spending the majority of your stay in France, for obvious reasons. However, I couldn't find this again when searching through the many pages on the French government website.

But I did find the below on the French government visa website which answers the question.
View attachment 775696
Just before we came back from Spain in April and friend who had travelled down through France was booking in at a Spanish site. The lady scanned his passport with an app on her phone. When he asked what it was she said it was connected to the Police comuter to catch people on French visa's.

OP
OP
daveclare
Jun 26, 2018
North West
Funster No
MH
Florium Wincester
Exp
::bigsmile:that will make no difference whatsoever to our trips. There are too many doomsayers about. I'll ask my friend in Interpol l when I get back.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back