Long Stay French Visa - Our application and interview/appointment. (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Mar 2, 2021
UK & Europe
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2017
I was under the impression that you could add 90 days onto the end of the 180 day French visa effectively giving you 270 days in total. Is this not correct?

May 5, 2022
Kidsgrove, North Staffordshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B778 PL
Exp
Since 1992
I was under the impression that you could add 90 days onto the end of the 180 day French visa effectively giving you 270 days in total. Is this not correct?
That is correct. However two things. You have to leave at the end of the visa and get it stamped as out. Then you can re-enter for the 90 days. Secondly after 183 days in France that then becomes your place of residence there you are liable for French taxation etc. That is my understanding.

Mar 2, 2021
UK & Europe
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2017
We are planning on spending our 90 days in Spain and, as there are no borders, would not be able to get stamped out after our 180 day visa expires.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
What you are all missing is the visa applies to the persons. &yes I know you applied stating using a motorhome but the rules are still the same and in most EU countries 90 days is the maximum allowed before the vehicle is illegal.Spain allows 6months before it has to leave and cannot return for another 6 months.
The same applies to the UKand of which I have been reminded on 3 occasions in the last few years ,at Dover.

through France was booking in at a Spanish site. The lady scanned his passport with an app on her phone.
Any tourist in Spain, including Spaniards, have to have their passport/I'd docs notified to the Guardia civil on arrival. For foreigners usually passport/id is retained for 24hours.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 5, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer B778 PL
Exp
Since 1992
We are planning on spending our 90 days in Spain and, as there are no borders, would not be able to get stamped out after our 180 day visa expires.
I do not think that will work. For the French visa you have to be stamped in and out of France. As you say there is no border controls in Europe but travelling around Europe on a French visa is not really in the spirit of the visa being issued. Not sure what the legalities would be.

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Just before we came back from Spain in April and friend who had travelled down through France was booking in at a Spanish site. The lady scanned his passport with an app on her phone. When he asked what it was she said it was connected to the Police comuter to catch people on French visa's.
To catch ‘em doing what exactly?

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globe Traveller
Exp
40+
If you still have days left from the 90/180 or all 90 you can go into any Shenghan country, though you have the French Visa you are not obliged to stay the Visa period you can hop in and out.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
What you are all missing is the visa applies to the persons. &yes I know you applied stating using a motorhome but the rules are still the same and in most EU countries 90 days is the maximum allowed before the vehicle is illegal.Spain allows 6months before it has to leave and cannot return for another 6 months.
The same applies to the UKand of which I have been reminded on 3 occasions in the last few years ,at Dover.

Any tourist in Spain, including Spaniards, have to have their passport/I'd docs notified to the Guardia civil on arrival. For foreigners usually passport/id is retained for 24hours.
When Guests arrive to our house. We have to take photos of ID/Passports and register them with the Guardia civil. We do not keep any DNI/Passports etc.

When my wife checked us into a Site in Italy, they retained our passports. I went to the office the next day and had a massive argument regarding retaining passports/ID. I came away with my passports in the end.

Huge site over 1200 Pitches. Can you imagine how many forms of ID, the Volume and Logistics of storing them safely ?

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

I am interested in this.

Does a Resident, not Citizen, of an EU country count as a 'tourist'?

How does a wildcamper 'notify' Guardia?

I as an EU country Resident am limited to 90/180 days outside my host state.

Out of devilment I may apply for a French 6/12 month visa, just to see what the process would be and how the French Consulate see would handle it.
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
When my wife checked us into a Site in Italy, they retained our passports. I went to the office the next day and had a massive argument regarding retaining passports/ID. I came away with my passports in the end.
You and me both Trev. :(
I had a right ding-dong with the receptionist at a site next to Lake Garda, insisting that our passports were the property of HM Government, and not to be retained by any unauthorised persons. The ruddy great pile on a desk unsecured, added to my eagerness not to hand ours over. I even offered photocopies which I always carry, but she was having none of it. I told her to call the Carabinierie, but she refused.
In the end I paid in advance for our pitch, and kept the passports. Job done. :devil:

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Last edited:
May 5, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer B778 PL
Exp
Since 1992
we are talking about the long stay tourist visa aren’t we?

180 day visa not 90 day tourist visa

keep up at the back 😉
It is a French long stay tourist visa which can be for 91 daus to 375 days. Over 183 days you become liable for French tax etc. Many go for the 180 day visa. During the life of that French 180 day visa you may visit and country in the Shengan area for upto 90 days. See web link below.

As it is a Frence visa it does not allow you to go to Spain forb180 days. That would be tak8ng advance of the French visa system.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
You and me both Trev. :(
I had a right ding-dong with the receptionist at a site next to Lake Garda, insisting that our passports were the priority of HM Government, and not to be retained by any unauthorised persons. The ruddy great pile on a desk unsecured, added to my eagerness not to hand ours over. I even offered photocopies which I always carry, but she was having none of it. I told her to call the Carabinierie, but she refused.
In the end I paid in advance for our pitch, and kept the passports. Job done. :devil:

Cheers,

Same thing Jock.

I said, well call the Police and I will speak with them. Passports and ID cards all stored in one office. With easy access from any of the staff or easy to hand out the wrong ID's. Image some German family getting back to Berlin with your passports. Then you try to leave Rotterdam with no Passports

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Update

We’ve now got both visa’s for me & Val so we can if we wish go for 9 mths from 27th Aug 👍
I am really pleased for you both Alan & Val, especially as it is something you really want to do. (y)

We did 4 x months away pre Brexit, but TBH, it wasn't for us, and the current 90 x day rule suits us just fine..............despite some jumped up French Border Control Operative, telling us that despite my concerted efforts to make bookings within 87 x days, apparently I was totally wrong, and that I have to re-book to within 85 x days. Gordon £%&@ing Bennett. :mad:
"NON MADAME, however, please be absolutely assured that neither my wife nor I, will stay in your country any longer than is absolutely necessary! Savvy?" :mad:

Aren't these the very people who are supposed to control their borders, and advise those coming in from third world countries? It's 90 x days, not 85 x days, even if we did come back from Germany over 96 x days previously. :doh:

Cheers,

Last edited:

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Good news. Do not forget the 183 day tax cut off.
we’ll never do 180 days, probably half that, but having the visa allows us to to go for as long as we want, come home for as long as we want then return when we want and all for 0.62p a day

winna winna chicken dinner 🥘 👍

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
I am really pleased for you both Alan & Val, especially as it is something you really want to do. (y)

We did 4 x months away pre Brexit, but TBH, it wasn't for us, and the current 90 x day rule suits us just fine..............despite some jumped up French Border Control Operative, telling us that despite my concerted efforts to make bookings within 87 x days, apparently I was totally wrong, and that I have to re-book to within 85 x days. Gordon £%&@ing Bennett. :mad:
"NON MADAME, however, please be absolutely assured that neither my wife nor I, will stay in your country any longer than is absolutely necessary! Savvy?" :mad:

Aren't these the very people who are supposed to control their borders, and advise those coming in from third country countries? It's 90 x days, not 85 x days, even if we did come back from Germany over 96 x days ago. :doh:

Cheers,

hi Jock

As i’ve said we’ll never do anywhere near 270 days or even 180 days in one stint, but we can do 1/2/3 months if we want then come home to see family and go back in a week or 2 if we wanted to.

It’s the flexibility it allows us that’s key for us tbh 👍

PS. The french drive me away to anywhere but France tbh, we’ve not done it a lot but not been lucky so far, weather wise and price wise.

2 pints, 1 beer & 1 shandy = €19, robbing b@st@rds

Last edited:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
PS. The french drive me away to anywhere but France tbh, we’ve not done it a lot but not been lucky so far, weather wise and price wise.

2 pints, 1 beer & 1 shandy = €19, robbing b@st@rds
All they get from us Al, is the purchase of diesel, and the odd baguette...............which is usually inedible by lunchtime. :(
I make my way through ASAP, spending only what's necessary en route. ;)

Cheers,

Jock. ;)

Mar 2, 2021
UK & Europe
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2017
Good morning,

I believe a booked return ticket is required as part of the visa application process. Do Funsters book a six-month return ticket based on the assumption that you will get a six-month visa?

What have successful applicants done?

Many thanks.

Mar 2, 2021
UK & Europe
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2017
Thanks for your speedy responses. That's great news.

Going to start our application later this week.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back