Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Hello all.
My lovely water heater is easily the furthest from my gas bottle. When bottle off for a long time or bottle exchanged it takes many resets to get boiler to ignite presumably because the gas takes an age to get there and the pilot is a very small flow until main burner kicks in. Any ideas how to make this quicker? I pondered adding a t junction near boiler and having a short run if pipe through the floor. Then in theory I could open the tap for a few seconds to purge air in the line from bottle to t piece?
Or am I mad?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jev88
Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Hi there
Definitely lighting your gas hob burners help to purge some of the air out, before lighting your fridge.
Doesn't help in this situation as the four port gas junction is under sink within arm's reach of cooker, fridge and gas heater.... Boiler is another 3 metres away.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pwilmo

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2009
Kings Lynn, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Auto Roller 747
Exp
Since 2005
Hi there
Yes, I guessed you would have already thought of this but..air is lighter than propane gas, "theoretically" as you turn on your gas hob burners they are on a higher level than the boiler, the heavier propane should push out the lighter air in the pipes to the boiler, out through the burners..?? ...
Run them for a good few minutes maybe.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I pondered adding a t junction near boiler and having a short run if pipe through the floor. Then in theory I could open the tap for a few seconds to purge air in the line from bottle to t piece?
Or am I mad?
Not mad insane.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Not mad insane.
Not actually insane, purging pipework to open air or a continuous source of ignition is a normal exercise for a gas fitter and since there are nor regs covering a van thats used for personal use it isnt realy a problem and definitaly not insane

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Not actually insane, purging pipework to open air or a continuous source of ignition is a normal exercise for a gas fitter and since there are nor regs covering a van thats used for personal use it isnt realy a problem and definitaly not insane
A bit different to someone turning a tap on in a van and expelling gas outside, what if the fridge is alight.

OP
OP
Jev88
Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
A bit different to someone turning a tap on in a van and expelling gas outside, what if the fridge is alight.
I hear you. I am not talking about an action movie flame thrower jet of gas šŸ˜.

I am hoping someone with a big MH or RV might have overcome a similar problem.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back