Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
We are hoping to use the campsite at Mas de Lastourg to catch the train from Villefranche-de-Conflent, around the 1st or 2nd of October - just 3 days before the site closes for the winter

1. Do we need to book the train beforehand?
2. What is the weather likely to be, up there, at that time of year?
3. Anyone done the 9 kms hiking trail from Odeillo-Font-Romeau, back down to Mont Louis - if so how difficult/demanding is it?

TIA

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Been once, certainly no need to book, but our trip ended shortly after it began as the train broke down. We got our money back but we have never got round to returning.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Doubt if you need to book, but if you're over 60 years old you will be eligible for a 25% discount on your ticket(y) Tell them at the station booking office before purchase. I took my passport as proof (as if in my case any is actually needed:eek:) The price to go full distance (return) is approx. €40.00 per person.

I'd take a good fleece with you as it does get a lot colder than the temperature down in Villefranche.

As for hiking I'm afraid I can't help there.

One aspect to be aware of is the strike timetable currently in force. Hopefully it will be over by October but be prepared if it isn't. As the yellow train is run and maintained by SNCF staff it is also affected by the strikes.

You can park and stay overnight in your campingcar at the station in Villefranche (€4 before midnight and an additional €4 for any time after midnight). But note - there are no facilities whatsoever.

Hope this helps.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back