Lithium blowing fuses/circuits (1 Viewer)

Beast

Free Member
Jul 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
Since 1968
Hi can you help pls l have a Hymer B578 2014 which has a reoccurring problem of blowing circuits ie habitation +drivers step + fridge since lithium batteries were installed, l have a anti surge unit plus all safety features but when l have this year for the 1st time plugged in the lithium charger whilst on hook up its seems to have blow either fuses or circuits AGAIN and the zig unit no longer turns on. My EBL unit is brand new and upgraded to handle lithium so am at a lose pls help
Kind regards
Andy

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Your problem only occurs when you switch the lithium charger on?
How is this mains voltage charger connected to the lithium battery?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Beast

Beast

Free Member
Jul 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
Since 1968
Directly , taking a live feed from somewhere in the van
thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Your post is a bit confusing, I thought Zig units died with the ark.
What do you mean by upgraded EBL?
Your need to post some photos of your systems components & explane exactly what fuse is blowing under what conditions.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Beast

Beast

Free Member
Jul 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
Since 1968
I don’t know what the name is ,, zig,, it’s the internal control board for electric /water tank levels etc.
l don’t know what fuse is blowing as they all look ok.
The ebl was new upgraded to handle lithiums

regards

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    571.5 KB · Views: 31
Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Pictures of the “Zig” part of the system and the new charger might help but without knowing how they have been wired it is a bit difficult to make suggestions. Perhaps you should contact whoever installed them.

I had an EBL29 and lithium battery on my last motorhome and they worked fine.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Which fuses blow? Are they the ones on the EBL, or those external to the EBL, near the batteries for example? I think what is being called the Zig Unit is the control panel.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Beast

Beast

Free Member
Jul 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
Since 1968
I’m not saying that fuses blow but that something isn’t working.
thxs

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Do you have a multimeter? A few voltage readings at strategic points would be useful. Also an indication of exactly which circuits don't work.

There are two big latching relays inside the EBL that control the habitation circuits. One of the relays doesn't control very much, but it controls the step and step light, for example. It should be on more or less all the time, and doesn't switch off when you press the main switch on the control panel.

The other latching relay switches off when you press the main switch on the control panel. It controls all the other circuits: TV, pump, lights etc. That's why it's useful to know which circuits are working and which are not. Also what is the battery voltage, while things are working, and when they are not.

There is a big 50A fuse next to the leisure battery, and just near it is a small 2A fuse for the battery voltage sensing. If that 2A fuse blows, those two latching relays will not switch on, and the control panel will be off.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Beast

Beast

Free Member
Jul 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
Since 1968
A multimeter ,,, your having a laugh if l we're an auto electrician l wouldn't be asking !!

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
A multimeter ,,, your having a laugh if l we're an auto electrician l wouldn't be asking !!
You can't see electricity flowing, or feel electrical pressure, in 12V circuits anyway, so a multimeter is the only way to see what is going on. The alternative is swapping possibly faulty items for known good items, with a good chance of damaging the new items when you fit them. You can pick up a cheap multimeter for a tenner or so from any DIY store, which will be fine for basic fault-finding.

For example, one of the many possibilities is that the charger is faulty, and is outputting too high a voltage. That might trigger the control panel to shut down and/or the battery management system (BMS) to cut out. A single voltage measurement would check that. Another possibility is that (if you have solar panels) the solar controller has gone into 24V mode instead of 12V mode. It happens sometimes. Again, a single voltage measurement (when the sun is shining) would check that.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back