Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Hi

2009, Rapido On 3L V6 Auto, Sprinter Base. I have a "tail light" error on the dash comes up when I switch the side (and head) lights on. All the lamps check out as working, but the error light remains. I have consulted several Mercedes online "forums". And suggestions range from mismatched lamps, to wiring faults.

So far I have removed and replaced the lamp (standard twin filament 21/5 Pilot and Brake) despite the fact the O/E lamp was not actually faulty. I still have this issue.

It is annoying rather than anything else, as I know I have a full working light set from physically examining the M-H when lit. and I can switch the error off on the steering wheel by cancellation, (it returns next time I fire up).

Any one come across this before?. I suspect it MAY be an earth issue, but finding and cleaning "earthing" points is a long and tedious job. So before I go that route I wondered if anyone had had the issue and a solution.?

Pete

P.S. The only other time I have seen this was many years ago on a Merc; Truck!!.

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Have you changed any of the bulbs for LED ones recently?
or
This sort of thing can be a bad earth. Take all the bulbs out, clean off the contacts (bulbs and sockets) and stick them all back in and try that.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
probably talking rubbish here but could you use a long fly lead with a croc clip to add a known good earth to each light cluster in turn to narrow it down

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The first earth point to examine is the connection common to all rear lights, or all rear lights on each side of the van. Check also for a failed numberplate light - easily missed.

OP
OP
PeteH

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Re-Check, this am, shows failed Number plate light Fitting. (Bad Earth). All fed from LH lighting!. I am certain it had been On when I last looked, But????. Repaired the fitting and now OK.

Whilst on this I found 3 of 5 High level brake lights out (tiny little bulbs) When I tried the replace them they broke in the fitting. Have bye passed the Existing lights, with 2 strips of LED`s. Works a treat!.

Thanks guys for input.(y)(y)(y)

Last edited:
Reactions: BwB
Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
that's why we love this forum , there is always someone to help(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back