LIFOS/Inverter/B2B....... one year on (1 Viewer)

Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
In an earlier posting (Sept 2019...... https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/campscout……-first-10-weeks-plus-recent-lifos-inverter-addition.203904/ ) I reported on my first 10 weeks of owning our new Globecar Campscout and the addition of a pair of Lifos batteries and an inverter.

I had intended to update my earlier posting on this sooner, but the problems I experienced got bogged down because of ongoing issues with the pair of lithium leisure batteries and a delay of more than 4 months because of the Covid lockdown etc.

The problems with the 2 Lifos batteries was finally resolved a couple of months ago by the importer (Solar Technology) and was a consequence of the dealers supplying them not having sufficient knowledge/experience for what they were doing. The original pair supplied were regularly going out of sync resulting in one going into protect mode and shutting down. These were replaced FOC by another dealer, which had been agreed with Solar Technology, but the same problem kept recurring. Solar Technology offered to sort this out for me in February if I took the MoHo to their base at Tewksbury. I readily agreed to this, but then this was put on hold because of the lockdown. I finally got to visit them around 8 weeks ago. They immediately diagnosed the problem as the 2 batteries supplied by the dealer not being a matched pair. They had supplied 2 from their stock without checking that the batch numbers were the same. Apparently this is critical to remain synchronised. They supplied FOC a matched pair of new batteries and I have had no problems since, including a recent 2 week trip to France.

I was aware that that when Lithium batteries are being manufactured care is taken to ensure near identical performance from each of the cells. However, I had not previously read anywhere of the need to have "matched" batteries when installing a bank of 2 or more. I do not know if this is a peculiarity of Lifos, with each battery having its own internal battery management system. The first supplying dealer advised that it was only necessary to charge each battery separately so that the charge difference was not more than 1% (as measured on the smartphone App which links by Bluetooth to each battery management system) before installation. This was incorrect and may well have exacerbated my initial problems. The correct installation procedure should be to charge each battery separately to 100%, leave to rest for 12 hours or so, then check both are still at 100% and not more than 0.01 volt difference measured with a meter across the terminals of each battery, before connecting them together in parallel.

All of this delayed sorting out the installation of the Schaudt B2B unit. It was fitted last December by the dealer from whom we bought the MoHo. They had installed it according to the wiring diagram supplied from Schaudt and connected to the Electroblock, from which heavy duty supplementary cabling had been taken from the engine battery and to the to the Lifos batteries. During a 5 week trip to Spain from mid-January this year, because of the Lifos battery sync problem, I was effectively only running on one leisure battery as the battery management system on one had locked out. The B2B unit was not supplying sufficient current to maintain the charge level needed to run our compressor-only fridge and I had to seek out campsites with EHU every third day or so. (We normally prefer to "wild" camp.}

After getting back home I had a very helpful exchange of emails with Schaudt in Germany. They suggested that if all else failed there would be no problem connecting the output from the B2B (via a suitably high-rated fuse) directly to the leisure battery bank rather than via the Electroblock. Rather than go back to the supplying dealer, I did this myself before our recent trip to France. Even on engine tick-over, the leisure batteries are now being supplied with 20-25 amps.

For our recent 2 week France trip (only 5 more days in quarantine!!) with around 30-60 min drive every other day or so, we did not need to use EHU at all. Although I have 250 watts of solar panel, the weather/sun at this time of the year gave only a modest daytime input in northern France. We had the the Truma heating on overnight and together with the compressor fridge consumption, recharging laptops, phones etc, I found that the charge level by the following morning had dropped by around 20-25%. With lithium being able to go down to 10% or so without problem, this would allow me 3 or 4 days/nights supply and obviously considerably more with better solar gain weather conditions. The brief drives we were making every other day or so whilst touring was bringing the charge back to 100%.

So, I am finally happy with the installation of the 2 lithium batteries remaining in sync and the B2B unit meeting our power needs. Also, no problems with my Wife being able to use her hair dryer and hair tongs with the inverter, as well as modest use for recharging the cordless vacuum cleaner and the electric toaster.

As mentioned above, the Schaudt B2B unit works well when wired directly to the leisure batteries (and on the Lithium output setting). I went for this Schaudt unit because of the Schaudt Electrobloc fitted to our German PVC and thinking this would be fully compatible and not risk invalidating the warranty on the other electrical installation . Having wired it directly there would appear to be no particular benefit over another brand of B2B. Other Funsters speak highly of Stirling B2B's, which you may have been a little cheaper than the Schaudt version.

Fingers remain crossed that all continues well. It has taken longer than I would have wished to sort everything out, but I must commend Solar Technology on their willingness to sort things out and to readily supply replacement batteries. This gives me confidence that, should the need arise, the 5-year warranty will be honoured.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
you seem to have the charging from the engine via the battery to battery charger sorted..can I ask what mains charger you have on the system.. does it have a lithium profile as your battery to battery does..
and again has your solar controller a lithium profile...
cheers..
Andy

OP
OP
Millcourt
Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
Hi andy63

I did not change any of the original kit. The solar panels feed directly into the Electrobloc via a Schaudt LR1218 Charge Controller (I intend to change this to a Schaudt MPPT unit). The output to the Lithium batteries from the Electrobloc is on the AGM setting (it does not have a Lithium setting), as advised by Solar Technology. LIFOS batteries are claimed to be "drop-in" replacements, presenting to the "outside world" as if they were AGMs. This seems to be the case in my experience and I have found that with either EHU or solar supply (when there is good solar gain weather) the batteries are recharged to 100%.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
interesting to hear what the manufacturer says about drop in replacement for agm ...and ive been trying to get my head round the whole thing lately..
I do know LiFePo4 batteries take a good charge and can charge up quickly... if you buy a dedicated mains charger for these batteries it charges them and shuts down...
none of the other charging sources ive come across ie, either battery to battery chargers, solar controllers or any of the mains chargers currently in use in most vans ,even if running lithium charging profiles do that...
they reduce the voltage to a level below the voltage required to fully charge the battery and hold it there..yet im led to believe thats not ideal, and the profile of a dedicated mains charger seems to support that..ie it does shuts down.. so fill them up..use them...fill them...rether than keep them nearly full all the time..

its not so easy to monitor the state of charge with these batteries either as they hold their voltage more than lead acid , but im thinking that a dedicated lifepo4 charging source would stop charging at fully charged..allow battery usage till a lower threshold voltage was reached and then commence charging again..

thats not to say that the way its been done isn't a reasonable compromise , and most mains chargers installed in vans now are capable of acting as a power pack / charger which makes my suggestion of shutting down not possible...
anyway ...rambling over lol... hope your system continues to run trouble free..
Andy

OP
OP
Millcourt
Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
Thanks andy63 . My fingers remain crossed that my system does continue to run trouble free. 🤞

I am led to believe that the Lifos in-built BMS takes care of the charging voltage issues you refer to. This seems to be the case. I read heavy current Electrical Engineering as an undergraduate and had a brief spell working for the (former) CEGB a long time ago...... so I do have some understanding...... but many aspects of of the sophistication of modern electronic wizardry remain a mystery to me!

You mention that it is not easy to monitor the state of charge of these batteries. That is true of the “voltage” LEDs on the display panel, which unless measuring a higher charging voltage never seem to drop, but the BMS Bluetooth built into each of the Lifos batteries does give what seems to be a quite accurate state of charge and how much current is going in or out with the App on a smartphone.

Last edited:

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Hi andy63

May have edited my previous post since you looked at it!
I see that now.. thanks..
I have a battery monitor fitted and although its algorithm for determining state of charge is based on lead acid technology it does have a function for determining the net charge and or discharge based on the amp hours recorded by the shunt...so that will be the same regardless of battery type.. thats how im going to monitor mine ..
its all early days yet but I suspect ill be returning to a more manual method of battery care in terms of mains charging anyway ... as I said above ..ill use the them and switch the mains charger on after a period of use to bring them back to fully charged...as opposed to leaving the current mains charger running all the time whilst on hook up.... ive actually disconnected the current charger from the power supply unit and wired it directly to the start battery as its obviously still lead acid....
the lithium mains charger I got is just that...ie not specifically for motorhome power supply units..
Andy

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I have only just read Millcourt's OP.

I agree with two of his conclusions. Firstly that a B2B does recharge batteries in an hour's running and gives 3-4 days usage.

Secondly that linking the B2B direct to the batteries is a good way, particularly to avoid Schaudt Elektroblok. Stirling told me they have not found a way to make their B2B compatible with Schaudt's geometry. Direct link to the batteries is quite satisfactory.

Geoff

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back