Let's play a game of tyres... (1 Viewer)

The AV Tech

Free Member
Aug 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
Ducato/ Burstner
Exp
Newbie, bought cheap, cheerful but slightly rotten!
One of these tyres failed an mot & one of them passed with an advisory. Can you guess which? Incidentally I had asked the garage to change them both before the mot, which they didn't :mad:

DSC_1608.jpeg
DSC_1607.jpeg

OP
OP
The AV Tech

The AV Tech

Free Member
Aug 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
Ducato/ Burstner
Exp
Sorry, should have mentioned, both same age!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
The AV Tech

The AV Tech

Free Member
Aug 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
Ducato/ Burstner
Exp
Somebody tried throwing the 10 year rule at me... told them that was specific to front wheels only of commercial vehicles & all wheels of minibuses/ buses! (these were at the back btw)

OP
OP
The AV Tech

The AV Tech

Free Member
Aug 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
Ducato/ Burstner
Exp
And we have a winner! Spot on Chatteris. Fair play to Lenny HB too!

As said in the first post, I asked the garage to change them pre mot, I'm shocked that any tyres in these conditions could pass mot. :oops::oops:

Last edited:

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I look at tyre walls before tread depth.... experience of two blowouts in motorhome...sun is a tyre killer here in Spain...

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
Sidewall cracks on a previous moho... the wide range of opinion on the forum is so interesting ranging from ‘ thats fine’ to ‘ omg’ , but I worry that if a tyre went on me I might lose control of the vehicle.
I’ve seen an hgv tyre go west in front of me, the driver just calmly controlled the lorry to the hard shoulder but it was pretty terrifying for everyone,
I suppose five years is a not bad investment, mine are that old now with almost new tread 17000 miles but I am thinking of changing them . They are van tyres that take a lower psi than the ‘camper’ versions and they came with the van, so not my choice but they are much more forgiving than my previous experience with hard wall camper tyres. Imho of course...

OP
OP
The AV Tech

The AV Tech

Free Member
Aug 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
Ducato/ Burstner
Exp
I look at tyre walls before tread depth.... experience of two blowouts in motorhome...sun is a tyre killer here in Spain...
We had one go out on the front, at low speed on a left turn. Went out with a whimper! It's quite saddening that testers have to pass/ give the benefit of the doubt with these, the 10 year rule having only come about because of campaigning following a death...

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
We had one go out on the front, at low speed on a left turn. Went out with a whimper! It's quite saddening that testers have to pass/ give the benefit of the doubt with these, the 10 year rule having only come about because of campaigning following a death...
Glad you were going slow and all ok, phew, just want us all to arrive safely/ alive to enjoy the mohos

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back