Let the Planning Begin! (1 Viewer)

Jan 24, 2018
Funster No
So excited! Booked our long haul flights yesterday for Adelaide-London then Zagreb-Adelaide for May/June next year! Going to do the family stuff in England for 2 weeks, then fly to Ljubljana, pick up a hired Motorhome (our old friend Globby that we toured around Slovenia in back in 2019) then spend three weeks touring Croatia and Bosnia (7nights Croatia, 7 nights Bosnia, 7 nights Croatia) before flying home to Oz (just in time for the end of the tax year here, which as a bookkeeper has to be taken into account - boo!)

Here's the first bit of the planning (need to update with the Ljub-Istrian Peninsula day). Now to get on the exercise bike to start getting in shape for the non-E bikes we're hopefully hiring with the van!

1694307770848.png

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
A good, well thought out route. The Makarska riviera is my favourite. Done it many times. Makarska itself used to be gorgeous but now very popular. Little town of Zaostrog is also appealing.

May 12, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2017
I would suggest cutting - out one of the Rijeka legs and consider using the bridge/ferries' to cross over to/from Istria via Krk and Cres.

Robert

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
P
Jan 24, 2018
Funster No
Love the idea of seeing a bit more of the islands - I can see a bridge across to Krk, but is there any way of getting from there back to Senj on the mainland (I think E on my map)? I can't see anything on Google maps but will have a look at ferry routes to see if something is not showing up. Thanks for the advice - it's so much easier when someone has actually been there than just going from a map (although I have just had a very nice streetview stroll around Zaostrog!)

May 12, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2017
The saying is "Less Stress in Cres". that is true once you have negotiated the road from the Istria/Cres Ferry terminal.

I believe the Krk Bridge did away with the need for most of the vehicle ferries' to the Mainland, Senj is not that far from the bridge if I recall, we stayed on the Quay Stellplatze as you enter the town.

Robert

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
A good, well thought out route. The Makarska riviera is my favourite. Done it many times. Makarska itself used to be gorgeous but now very popular. Little town of Zaostrog is also appealing
Love the idea of seeing a bit more of the islands - I can see a bridge across to Krk, but is there any way of getting from there back to Senj on the mainland (I think E on my map)? I can't see anything on Google maps but will have a look at ferry routes to see if something is not showing up. Thanks for the advice - it's so much easier when someone has actually been there than just going from a map (although I have just had a very nice streetview stroll around Zaostrog!)
I've done Croatia/jugoslavia loads of times and most of the islands. I always found the islands disappointing in the sense that they are no different from the mainland. The terrain is exactly the same and the coastal towns and villages on the mainland are just as pretty. Why pay extra ferry prices and que for boats. If you are desperate to see the islands go to oe of the major ports like Split or Makarska and leave the vehicle.

May 12, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2017
Agree a lot of the Islands the further South you go are medicore at best, the north around Riijeka is even less appealing. Why travel the same route twice when you can sample a couple Islands - biased towards Cres , not that keen on Krk - and enjoy a couple of ferry rides, all part of the holiday experience. You also meet some interesting people whilst chilling - out waiting for the Ferry.

Robert

OP
OP
P
Jan 24, 2018
Funster No
I think we will cut out any route doubling up by flying into Ljubljana rather than Rijeka (just wish EasyJet would hurry up and release their schedules post 2Jun), so the only place we’ll pass through twice is Senj (E) on the way from Istria to Plitvice then on the route back up before turning towards Zagreb.

I like the idea of leaving the van parked on the mainland and doing some island day trips by foot or bike, so will build some time in for that.

Need to revisit Jane & Rogs thread about their Croatia and Bosnia sectors! The more I see online of Bosnia the better it looks…

May 12, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2017
Day Trips without motorised transport is certainly not practical for Istria to Cres, point of entry is a long way from anywhere of note. There used to be a 'Foot Ferry' from Senj to Baska on Krk but I think it was seasonal and a local provider.
Further south as the Islands get smaller you will have more opportunity for DayTrips - Hvar .and Brac - from Split.

OP
OP
P
Jan 24, 2018
Funster No
Keep seeing on youtube videos, motorhomers saying their sim cards don't work once they cross the border into BiH so they are left without data for maps.

Maybe it's my age, but I'm incredibly excited by what's arrived in the post today....

Map book.jpg
Istria.jpg
Jajce.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back