Lenny's Modding the new Gin Palace (1 Viewer)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Been at it a couple of weeks now on & off so I thought I would bore you all.

First jobs, fitted the AVS30 Voltage protection unit, hardly ever use EHU, fitted this to the last van when we were doing a long ferry crossing as ships generators are not know for their stable outputs.

P1100501.JPG

Filtapac Water filter fitted in line with kitchen tap, blimey those draws are deep a simple job that took ages due to access.

P1100503.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Had a bit of fun getting the camera cables through the van, had to chop the ends off and reconnect, that was fun soldering up 8 small screened leads in the drivers footwell. To cap it all afterwards found the Hymer installed cables, they were for Waco Cameras so probably still easier to put my own in rather than convert theirs certainly wouldn't want to pay the price of Waco cameras.:D
Also got the cables through for the telly to the head unit.

Rather a lot of cables to sort out.

P1100520.JPG

P1100521.JPG

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Solar Regulator and Solar Split Charge relay installed, cables for the regulator left loose on purpose so I can fiddle the unit out if needed as it is almost impossible to get at once the batteries are re-installed.

P1100519.JPG

P1100518.JPG

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
You're amazing! (y)(y) As a matter of interest, what was your day job?
Electronics by trade but last 10 years selling motoring bits on eBay & a bit of contract work installing Video equipment in call centres, 30 years ago I did have my own business designing & manufacturing mixers & amps for the music industry. Also spent 10 years as technical manager for a caravan & motorhome accessory manufacturer.

I absolutly hate paying people to jobs I can do myself, that is why the house is a wreck as I never get around to doing the jobs that need doing, did manage to re-roof with fibreglass my double garage roof and re-tile the hips last summer.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Electronics by trade but last 10 years selling motoring bits on eBay & a bit of contract work installing Video equipment in call centres, 30 years ago I did have my own business designing & manufacturing mixers & amps for the music industry. Also spent 10 years as technical manager for a caravan & motorhome accessory manufacturer.
Aaah, that explains your skill level. Wish I was even 1% as technical as you, although I can wire a plug. :D

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Aaah, that explains your skill level. Wish I was even 1% as technical as you, although I can wire a plug. :D
Unfourtantly a redundant skill, no longer allowed to sell an appliance without a plug fitted.:D2

I don't think it takes skill to do mods on a Motorhome just a bit of planning and take is slowly. The planning & sleepless nights is 75% of the work.:D

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
@Lenny HB
What are the advantages of wiring up the tv to your head unit, am assuming it's allows you to use the speakers when using the tv but it means the head unit being constantly powered and being off hook does this cause any problems
Was thinking of doing the same, however did consider BT speakers instead but not as good as your soloution, did you connect using RCA/component?
Thks

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
@Lenny HB
What are the advantages of wiring up the tv to your head unit, am assuming it's allows you to use the speakers when using the tv but it means the head unit being constantly powered and being off hook does this cause any problems
Was thinking of doing the same, however did consider BT speakers instead but not as good as your soloution, did you connect using RCA/component?
Thks
Sound quality is the advantage, used high quality phono leads for most of the run, last 3m are standard phono leads as the bundle was getting a bit big on the TV bracket as there is a 3rd phono lead so I can play DVD's direct from telly or head unit, an HDMI lead to sat receiver as I don't rate the TV's built in one also power lead and terrestrial TV aerial lead. Connected to headphone output with a 3.5mm jack to phono converter on the back of the TV, then when the boss goes to bed I can just swap over to headphones without having to fiddle about, she complains bitterly about the sound from the rear speakers they are behind the headboard.
My head unit is a double DIN Clarion with sat nav so a bit power hungry draws nearly 2 amps, I'm in the middle of wiring it in at the moment. Power is wired direct to the Elektroblock so it is running off the leisure batteries of which I have just added a third & have 200 watts of solar with an MPPT regulator will probably put another panel on the roof.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
@Lenny HB

Interestingly the standard Hymer multi media setup on our Exsis I plays the tv though the cab speakers but doesn't need the head unit to be powered on. Im not sure if it simply uses a relay to switch the speakers between the TV headphone output and the stereo or if there is an additional power amp with inputs from the TV and cab stereo - the sound quality and volume certainly suggest the latter. It certainly makes a big difference from just using the TV speakers on their own.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Hi Lenny
Have you received your V5 yet?

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Lenny, whats the black aerial for thats on the left hand side of the roof (3rd pic down drom top) ?
The aerial & a box under it combines TV and radio & DAB works a treat, breaks up on HD TV but not surprising where the van is parked no direct line of site to the transmitter, also in the box under the roof GPS aerial for satnav all standard fit, separate amplifiers for TV & radio. Not tried the DAB yet as need to get an adaptor, different aerial socket on my unit.

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Interestingly the standard Hymer multi media setup on our Exsis I plays the tv though the cab speakers but doesn't need the head unit to be powered on. Im not sure if it simply uses a relay to switch the speakers between the TV headphone output and the stereo or if there is an additional power amp with inputs from the TV and cab stereo - the sound quality and volume certainly suggest the latter. It certainly makes a big difference from just using the TV speakers on their own.
If you have the multimedia option it includes an amplifier. The Tramp Gold edition we had, had a sub woofer under the bed - no need to visit the massage parlor just turn the sound up.:D

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
All good stuff this, nice shiny roof!
Lethal when it's wet a really smooth polished surface.

Hi Lenny
Have you received your V5 yet?
Not yet, got the VAT confirmation last Tuesday couldn't post DVLA application until Wednesday, play stopped as I'd forgotten it was the boss's birthday on Tuesday, after some hints I got the message just after lunch, better than last year, it was 6pm when I remembered.:)

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Should have bought a Hymer :doh:, my van didn't even come with a radio never mind additional amps

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Nice work :). Are the adjustment screws on the camera stainless? Or have you changed them? Every one of those cameras I see seems to have rusty screws & accompanying stains.

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Fitted the 3rd battery and the inverter.

P1100525.JPG

P1100528.JPG

As the inverter is a bit inaccessible I've made it remote switching, fitted a 100 amp relay and made a 10second delay timer wired to the soft start on the inverter, so it turns fully on 10 sec after power is switched on. Just got to sort out the mains wiring & switching.

P1100526S.JPG
P1100524S.JPG

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
The aerial & a box under it combines TV and radio & DAB works a treat, breaks up on HD TV but not surprising where the van is parked no direct line of site to the transmitter, also in the box under the roof GPS aerial for satnav all standard fit, separate amplifiers for TV & radio. Not tried the DAB yet as need to get an adaptor, different aerial socket on my unit.

Could you give more details about the GPS aerial please ?

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Could you give more details about the GPS aerial please ?
Not a lot, to tell standard Hymer fit on the DL, it is a plastic box on the underside of the roof where all the other aerials are and terminates in a standard GT5 type GPS connector with the radio wiring, I plugged it into my Clarion stereo and the satnav worked.

Capture.PNG
IMG_20170408_083136.jpg

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
Fitted the 3rd battery and the inverter.

As the inverter is a bit inaccessible I've made it remote switching, fitted a 100 amp relay and made a 10second delay timer wired to the soft start on the inverter, so it turns fully on 10 sec after power is switched on. Just got to sort out the mains wiring & switching.
Hi Lenny
I assume this switches the inverter on & off?
If so, I'd be really interested in what you've done, so would you mind sharing a bit more info please.
I inherited my inverter, installed in a locker, and has an on/off switch in the casing, which makes it a bit of a pain to use and would love to have a switch on a convenient wall somewhere inside the van instead of having to root about the locker to switch it on.
Many thanks
Steve

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Hi Lenny
I assume this switches the inverter on & off?
If so, I'd be really interested in what you've done, so would you mind sharing a bit more info please.
I inherited my inverter, installed in a locker, and has an on/off switch in the casing, which makes it a bit of a pain to use and would love to have a switch on a convenient wall somewhere inside the van instead of having to root about the locker to switch it on.
Many thanks
Steve
There you are Steve, I've done a drawing especially for you.
I did find with my inverter fires up OK with it left switched on, I didn't really need the timer but better to play safe.

upload_2017-4-10_10-43-39.png

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back