Leisure battery (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Deirdre

Free Member
Feb 17, 2023
Funster No
MH
Trend 7057
Hi I wonder if anyone can answer why my interior lights ie kitchen bedroom etc go off when I unplug from EHU. I believe I have two leisure batteries and wonder why they don't kick in. Is there something I don't understand??
Regards
Deirdre

Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
Can you check the voltage at the leisure batteries?
Also there is probably a large fuse close to the leisure batteries, that needs checking.

Geoff

OP
OP
D

Deirdre

Free Member
Feb 17, 2023
Funster No
MH
Trend 7057
Have no idea where the leisure batteries on the vehicle other than knowing we have 2.
We are only now feeling confident enough in the vehicle to start asking questions . Where might the leisure batteries be located ?

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
What year is your Trend 7057?

Have the lights been working in the past or is the m/h new to you?
Does the fresh water pump work (for taps, toilet etc) when you disconnect the EHU?
Have you been away and used it off-grid?

You can probably download a manual with useful information from the internet if you don't have one.

It may be here..

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Deirdre

Free Member
Feb 17, 2023
Funster No
MH
Trend 7057
Thank you.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
If you have 12v lights on hook up, but not when disconnected, I would suggest that the battery charger is running the lights and either the batteries have failed or a fuse has blown

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
We have an ON/OFF switch for the 12v electrics on the main user Control Panel (the one that shows battery charge, water levels etc.).

OP
OP
D

Deirdre

Free Member
Feb 17, 2023
Funster No
MH
Trend 7057
So if that's on then you are using 12v battery for lights etc?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Not necessarily, only if not connected to EHU.

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
In our van everything other than the two square pin plug outlets runs off 12v, it is charging while the EHU is attached. However if you unplug and have the switch OFF then you get nothing 12v, it must be ON. If your's is ON and stuff still goes off then it sounds like your battery is not holding any charge. Is there a charge meter on your control panel?

Leave it on EHU for at least 24 hours with everything electrical that you can turned off, then unplug and see if your batteries do any better.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
How it's supposed to work is that everything apart from the 13A mains sockets work from the 12V leisure battery. That's the lights, water pump, heating controls, water heater controls, fridge controls etc. The power for the heater, water heater and fridge come from gas or mains electric. So you can park in the middle of a field with no mains hookup, and still have lights, keep warm, cook a meal and have a hot shower.

When plugged into the hookup, a mains charger fills up the leisure battery and keeps it topped up. If the leisure battery is not working the charger can provide a 12V supply to keep the 12V items working.

So starting from basics, there should be a switch on the control panel to turn the 12V items on. If that's on but no power, there should be a big fuse very near the leisure battery, worth checking that. If you don't know where the leisure battery is, that's the next problem.

You need to find out if the problem is that the leisure battery is flat, or the battery is ok but there's a problem with the wiring - bad connection, blown fuse etc.

By the way, I think this thread is posted in the wrong place, this section is for explanations of motorhome jargon words for those who haven't seen the word before. Maybe Jim could move it to somewhere better.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back