Leisure battery - rotten eggs (1 Viewer)

Jan 14, 2017
Dolgellau
Funster No
MH
Hobby T70E
Exp
Since 2016
Hi Funsters,
Our Numax DC25MF 105Ah battery was new four years ago. It had a 3 year warranty. Stood most of last year with just a solar panel to maintain. Given up the ghost now <12v holding. Is this reasonable time for a leisure battery to last?Any other recommendations - we don't do much wild camping - mainly on hookup, although we'll be avoiding large C&MC sites when we are eventually allowed out? Cheers all.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Hi Funsters,
Our Numax DC25MF 105Ah battery was new four years ago. It had a 3 year warranty. Stood most of last year with just a solar panel to maintain. Given up the ghost now <12v holding. Is this reasonable time for a leisure battery to last?Any other recommendations - we don't do much wild camping - mainly on hookup, although we'll be avoiding large C&MC sites when we are eventually allowed out? Cheers all.
If your title means it is smelling, it wants getting out fast before it blows.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
That battery is just a basic wet cell one I think. Given your usage pattern replacing it for another exactly the same would be easy and not too expensive, they are around £100.

As you only have a single battery it might have been heavily discharged a few times when you did use it off grid. This will have shortened its life a bit. £25 per year for a battery isn't too bad. :)

OP
OP
RobPeel
Jan 14, 2017
Dolgellau
Funster No
MH
Hobby T70E
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks all. Took it out as soon as smell started couple of weeks ago - if only to establish whether it was leisure or starter battery. Connected it to an Optimate to try to resuscitate, but simply loses charge overnight. Yes, thanks, have a quote around £104 from Batteryfactory to replace. Thanks for comments.
regards,

Rob

Reactions: DBK
Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
My Numax batteries are about 7 yes old. I think that they have done very well but I have never let them get down to 50% discharge. Agree with the above comments - you may want to check your charger and charging regime when you fit a new one.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
The smell of rotten eggs suggest that the battery was overheating whilst being charged, so before you fit a new battery it may be wise to get the charging system checked out, otherwise the new battery may get damaged.

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
My Varta batteries are now 4 years old, they have had everything done to them that you shouldn't, several times. Still show 12.7v after 2 or 3 weeks standing without EHU.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks all. Took it out as soon as smell started couple of weeks ago - if only to establish whether it was leisure or starter battery. Connected it to an Optimate to try to resuscitate, but simply loses charge overnight. Yes, thanks, have a quote around £104 from Batteryfactory to replace. Thanks for comments.
regards,

Rob
Might be worth looking at Tayna Batteries. They seem to be a tad cheaper ;).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back