Leisure battery overheating (1 Viewer)

Mar 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL
The battery is cooked. 11.8v last evening. Next step is to find a leisure battery in the Highlands. Any local knowledge? We are on our way to Aviemore passing by Inverness.
Why did a one year old battery cook? I will check charger jumper settings. Clearly I don’t want to fit a new battery to see it go down the same road. Is there anything I should be keeping an eye on to make sure it was not the charging system that was the battery killer.
For a one year old battery to be goosed it sounds to me like either the charge profile of your charging source is wrong for the chemistry of the battery or there is a fault with your charger.
Although saying that 2 years ago I had a 13 month old battery fail for no reason so it does happen.

Apr 9, 2022
Funster No
MH
Cathargo
Exp
The battery is cooked. 11.8v last evening. Next step is to find a leisure battery in the Highlands. Any local knowledge? We are on our way to Aviemore passing by Inverness.
Why did a one year old battery cook? I will check charger jumper settings. Clearly I don’t want to fit a new battery to see it go down the same road. Is there anything I should be keeping an eye on to make sure it was not the charging system that was the battery killer.
Might be a chandlery in Inverness, there are a few boats around.

OP
OP
B
May 30, 2021
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
C class motorhome
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks again. The possibly final instalment of this saga.
The Halfords website showed that the Inverness branch only had one cheap own brand flooded leisure battery in stock. A phone call to Highland Campers who install electrical conversions revealed they order in batteries. They recommended S&D Harpers in Elgin 35 miles down the coast who did have a quality AGM Platinum brand in stock. It proved to be a perfect fit at £200 (ouch!).
Before reconnecting the charger I checked the dip switches. Not an easy task - under another box, under the passenger seat and located in a very narrow recess a few mm across. See previous photo. I only became confident of their layout and setting by illuminating the recess with a torch and taking a photo using my iPhone. The bastards were indeed set up for flooded batteries not AGM. Maybe we have the answer to why the battery cooked. If so the dip switches were incorrectly set at the factory as AGM battery is original spec.
Power on via hookup and the battery has remained cool.
Thanks everyone and esp Royboy3350 for pointing me in direction of charger settings.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Thanks again. The possibly final instalment of this saga.
The Halfords website showed that the Inverness branch only had one cheap own brand flooded leisure battery in stock. A phone call to Highland Campers who install electrical conversions revealed they order in batteries. They recommended S&D Harpers in Elgin 35 miles down the coast who did have a quality AGM Platinum brand in stock. It proved to be a perfect fit at £200 (ouch!).
Before reconnecting the charger I checked the dip switches. Not an easy task - under another box, under the passenger seat and located in a very narrow recess a few mm across. See previous photo. I only became confident of their layout and setting by illuminating the recess with a torch and taking a photo using my iPhone. The bastards were indeed set up for flooded batteries not AGM. Maybe we have the answer to why the battery cooked. If so the dip switches were incorrectly set at the factory as AGM battery is original spec.
Power on via hookup and the battery has remained cool.
Thanks everyone and esp Royboy3350 for pointing me in direction of charger settings.
Funnily enough I was going to suggest S&D Harper but thought they would be too far out of your way and wouldn't be cheap! Next to Toolstation / Screwfix, we were in picking up something for the motorhome on our travels!
Anyway, glad you're sorted. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back