Leaving the UK during arrival self-isolating. (1 Viewer)

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I might be coming to the UK just for MOT for say 3-5 days- not much point staying in the UK as the prison it is at the moment.

I seem to remember in previous lock-downs that it was announced that it was possible to leave the UK again before the end of the quarantine period.

The government website does not seem to mention it this time and there seems no link on which to inquire.

Can anybody please help with information or with a contact method to inquire?

Geoff

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I might be coming to the UK just for MOT for say 3-5 days- not much point staying in the UK as the prison it is at the moment.

I seem to remember in previous lock-downs that it was announced that it was possible to leave the UK again before the end of the quarantine period.

The government website does not seem to mention it this time and there seems no link on which to inquire.

Can anybody please help with information or with a contact method to inquire?

Geoff
Wouldn't have thought you could come at all at the moment, but have you checked that your mot hasn't been changed to a later date?

Feb 2, 2019
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740C
Exp
As far as I know (having just returned to the UK) if you come in you must complete a passenger locator form which asks the address where you will be staying and you have to self isolate for 10 days. From Monday you'll need to have had a negative test and before you leave the UK and enter France you'll need to prove a negative test as well.

2 tests and 10 days isolation.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
This is because it can take up to 10 days for coronavirus symptoms to appear. If you’re travelling to England for less than 10 days, you will be expected to self-isolate for the length of your stay, but you can travel directly to your place of departure. It is important to note that under the national lockdown rules for England referred to above, you must not leave or be outside of your place of residence except where necessary in any event.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Wouldn't have thought you could come at all at the moment, but have you checked that your mot hasn't been changed to a later date?
British citizen can come if he wants. Returns as a Polish resident.
As far as I know (having just returned to the UK) if you come in you must complete a passenger locator form which asks the address where you will be staying and you have to self isolate for 10 days. From Monday you'll need to have had a negative test and before you leave the UK and enter France you'll need to prove a negative test as well.

2 tests and 10 days isolation.
Not if he plans it right The one test in France (FOC) over the channel, mot & straight back does the job.
How long can you keep a Brit Motorhome in Poland without having to re-register it?
If they refuse to re-register right hand drive ones then it is all guesswork.
here they do not allow re-registering of rhd commercials so for many year most would use that as an excuse to keep using them

Deleted User
British citizen can come if he wants. Returns as a Polish resident.

Not if he plans it right The one test in France (FOC) over the channel, mot & straight back does the job.

If they refuse to re-register right hand drive ones then it is all guesswork.
here they do not allow re-registering of rhd commercials so for many year most would use that as an excuse to keep using them
They allow re registering of rhd motorhomes in Spain though.

OP
OP
N
Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Firstly thank you to Landy Andy who gave me the definitive answer to my Q in my OP about leaving the UK duting quarantine. I had not found the 'national lockdown rules for England. because I had searched for ''travel to UK' and had read
Which while it covers some of the main points does not cover the leaving part during quarantine. Not very helpful to have two documents with differing contents.

Now to cover the points raised by several of you separately.

I find myself required to abide by the following laws and rules.

1 I am required under Polish law to re-register my MH in Poland.
2 I am not legally allowed to re-register my MH in Poland
3 All vehicles must be registered in one country or another
4 The MH is currently legally registered in UK
5 UK law requires that my MH has an MOT
6 My MH's MOT expires on 31.01.2021
7 DVSA have already extended the MOT for 6 months along with all others to that date of 31.01.2021
8 DVSA have been advised of the problem and have not offered a further extension
9 Polish law does not prevent me from travel.
10 UK law permits me under certain conditions to enter UK
11 Once in the UK without an MOT I am only permitted to drive directly to aa pre-booked MOT test.
12 Quarantine rules require that once in the UK I must drive directly to my designated place for self-isolation
13 UK Covid rules prohibit me from travelling for an MOT (but not clear if, apart from self-isolation rules, this applies to visitors)

My question to those that have pointed out laws and rules that I should obey, would you please advise which of the contradicting laws and rules I should ignore and with which comply and how.?

Contacting any Agency involved in overseeing the above laws and rules with the same question will proably result in the same answer as DVSA of only quoting the ones for which they are responsible, adding that they cannot give answers on the other points and to contact ........

There is then the requirement of my MH insurance policy which requires that the MH has an MOT 'if required', but unhelpfully not specifying when, where and by whom, whether them or another party, it might be 'required'. Maybe directing similar questions to the Underwriters might, or not, produce an answer.

You all no doubt have heard of Catch 22, but have you heard of Catch 88?

I look forward with eager anticipation to posters' answer to my question above.

Until the answers arrive I shall refrain from booking a ferry.

Geoff

[EDIT: Forgot to include
A That I am prohibited from SORNing the MH because it is not in Great Britain and DVSA have not permitted that to be allowed]
B My driving licence which expired on 05.01.2021 has not yet been renewed by DVLA after 2 months from application.]

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
The thorny question of once the DVSA and DVLA are aware of you time spent out the UK becomes obvious, cancellation of registration and driving license becomes a real issue.
As both Dover port and Channel Tunnel have ANPR installed in multiple locations, going under the radar is becoming impossible. Then ANPR en route plus location registration being mandatory the challenge increases exponentially.
I appreciate your looking for a solution, however being aware of the risks is fore armed and being prepared.
It's the small bits of data that added together you need to be mindful of, MOTs are recorded now in real time on the DVSA data base, plus passport biometric recording at the port of embarkation etc. Your likely to create quite a digital footprint.
The closest MOT class 4 motorhome (guess it's 3.5) is Woods of Aylesham to the best of my knowledge.

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
I see the only way to do this is to travel here ( test first ) . Isolate for 10 days . Go to MOT test . This is allowed here at the moment . Then travel home ( test first ) . You won’t be able to just pop over get the MOT and then return .

OP
OP
N
Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I see the only way to do this is to travel here ( test first ) . Isolate for 10 days . Go to MOT test . This is allowed here at the moment . Then travel home ( test first ) . You won’t be able to just pop over get the MOT and then return .
That would not comply with both 11 and 12 in my post - cannot go direct to isolation location and MOT at same time immediately after arrival.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Just a thought, but is the reason you can’t re-register the van in Poland because you are not yet a Polish resident? If so, would it be possible to transfer ownership to Basia so that it could be re-registered in her name?

Deleted User
That would not comply with both 11 and 12 in my post - cannot go direct to isolation location and MOT at same time immediately after arrival.
Like many others in this dilemma, many of whom have sorned while abroad, it is impossible not to break the law at some point in my opinion.
Risks may have to be taken, don't think it's a hanging offence driving without MOT and as far as insurance goes I am led to believe, certainly true for my insurance, that while comprehensive cover may be invalid 3rd party cover must be maintained.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
How can you take the van to a garage if you are in quarantine?
He puts it down as the address he is quarantining at ,albeit outside.
They allow re registering of rhd motorhomes in Spain though.
It depends. Here where I live they refuse outright to re-register anything that is classed as being a " commercial van derivative" .
So rhdrive pvc's were always refsed .
Whereas up in Alicante they re-register the exact same thing
Personally I hope you can't come here, or at least not leave if you can. I am not sure what some people still don't understand about staying at home at the moment????

So he arrives & where do you suggest he stays then for your "stay at home" He hasn't got one ,like me?

What puzzles me in those regs is you have to have a PCR negative test 3 days before entering. You still have to quarantine for 10 days but you can reduce it to 5 if you have another negative pcr test? :unsure:
Really how many do you need ? If you were negative when you entered & in quarantine after 5 days who would you have been incontact with to catch it from & what use would another test be?
Also having reduced the 14 days to 10 in the UK,why have the Iof M now increased theres to 21 days due to someone appearing to fall ill after their 14 day quarantine?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
If you’re going to do it you need to do it in the next couple of days as
UK to close all travel corridors from Monday https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55681861
Yes but none of the eu is on a travel corridor list .All they are closing is the countries that you didn't need a pcr to enter with so the situation for Geoff is still the same.

Existing travel corridor list.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-travel-corridors

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
He puts it down as the address he is quarantining at ,albeit outside.

It depends. Here where I live they refuse outright to re-register anything that is classed as being a " commercial van derivative" .
So rhdrive pvc's were always refsed .
Whereas up in Alicante they re-register the exact same thing

So he arrives & where do you suggest he stays then for your "stay at home" He hasn't got one ,like me?

What puzzles me in those regs is you have to have a PCR negative test 3 days before entering. You still have to quarantine for 10 days but you can reduce it to 5 if you have another negative pcr test? :unsure:
Really how many do you need ? If you were negative when you entered & in quarantine after 5 days who would you have been incontact with to catch it from & what use would another test be?
Also having reduced the 14 days to 10 in the UK,why have the Iof M now increased theres to 21 days due to someone appearing to fall ill after their 14 day quarantine?
The first test is within 72 hours. If the test was done on day 1 and travel was on day 3, infection could occur between day 1 and day 3. Infection could also occur during travel, hence the quarantine requirement.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
The first test is within 72 hours. If the test was done on day 1 and travel was on day 3, infection could occur between day 1 and day 3. Infection could also occur during travel, hence the quarantine requirement.
so you've had the 1st test on day 1, quarantined & after 5 days ,on day 8 you would either be ill or well? why another test to forgo another 5 days?
you could still be negative yet fall ill after ? Just seems all to complicated to save a few days . should just be straight forward 14 days quarantine strictly controlled.

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Copied :
This will be backed by more spot checks to ensure people are remaining in self-isolation.

The new regime will be in place until at least 15 February while further work takes place on how to manage the threat posed by mutations of the virus.

The last sentence is salient for anyone thinking travel is safe or wise

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
How long can you keep a Brit Motorhome in Poland without having to re-register it?

These rules are for Spain but same apply, not all motorhomes manage to get registered here, he should sell it and either buy one in Poland or do the same as us and buy in Germany and import, there is no cheap option. 🤔 Bob.

Screenshot_20210115-212522_Chrome.jpg

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
It’s not only isolate for 10 days you could isolate for 5 days take a COVID test if negative you are free to go out have your MOT and hopefully be within the72 hrs to return to France

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back