Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Apr 29, 2014
Warwickshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Chieftain
Exp
Since 2004
Need to charge my two leasure batteries as been getting a bit low ie 11.4 , Have a solar panel but not much sun and as it is in storage can't plug in there and can't park outside the house . I do take it for a run every 2/3 weeks for about 30 miles but not enough .Question if I take the batteries home to charge for a couple of days will the van be ok without power . Thanks for any replies

RYHALLRED

Free Member
Oct 13, 2022
Funster No
MH
Fiat Elddis CV40
Something to think about is if you have an alarm system attached to the leisure battery. Some have standby batteries that will be unhappy going flat after a day or two and just removing the leisure battery may set off the alarm.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
11.4 is more than just 'a bit low' and should be charged immediately to avoid ruining it.
Is it convenient to leave one battery connected and bring home and charge one battery at at a time, swapping them over when/if the 'in-use' one needs charging?

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
The radio may also lose its code without a battery. I have an old Halfords battery rejuvenator which is supposed to refresh batteries and could save batteries that have run low.
This is a good question and I expect some good answers to come up.

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Do not see why the cab radio would lose it's code if the leisure battery is disconnected. Also I doubt the burglar alarm is connected to the leisure battery, would not be a good idea as a low leisure battery in the middle of the night would wake the whole campsite.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

RYHALLRED

Free Member
Oct 13, 2022
Funster No
MH
Fiat Elddis CV40
Do not see why the cab radio would lose it's code if the leisure battery is disconnected. Also I doubt the burglar alarm is connected to the leisure battery, would not be a good idea as a low leisure battery in the middle of the night would wake the whole campsite.
At least you would know your battery was flat, that's always useful ;)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
No problem removing the leisure batteries but when you reconnect them, disconnect the solar panel from the solar regulator, connect the batteries then reconnect the panel. This is because a lot of solar regulators rely on the battery being connected before the panel to set the charge voltage (12 or 24v)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I would go further and suggest disconnecting the solar prior to removing the batteries, and don't reconnect it until after the batteries are connected.

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
I pull the fuses on my leisure batteries every time I put the van back in storage (sometimes for 3 months or more) and it's never been a problem. I also disconnect the engine battery to stop alarms and clocks dragging it down. My storage is secure with barn alarm and CCTV so I'm not worried about theft.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
If the battery is at 11.4V then it will take several hours to charge it fully up to 100%. You should use a multistage smart charger, which will go through several stages and finish on a final 'float' charge. If it was mine I'd leave it charging for 24 hours at least. That will make sure that as much as possible of the crystallised sulfation has been converted back to useful materials inside the battery.

Ideally a battery should be fully 100% charged every month at least, to avoid deterioration due to sulfation.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back