Learn to crochet? (8 Viewers)

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
We have a Grandchild due in May as well but that daughter-in-law hates handmade things. I have made a shawl but not sure of she will accept it :(

My stepson was the same when they were expecting their first child but happily accepted stuff from their late mum's sister. had been told they were only using 'proper bought stuff'
Petty I know but guess who couldn't knit the ballet bolero that was needed later, epecially as they had used hand knitted stuff from lots of other people.
The ring shawl I had knitted went to charity.

OP
OP
snailtrailer
Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Motorhomed for almost 7 years - now going nowhere!
Puddleduck I had the same feeling with my granddaughter Katy. I had made a shawl but decided she wasn't the one who would appreciate it so I have kept it back. I haven't yet heard whether baby Evie-Grace is wearing any of the clothes I knitted so I am thinking of making amigurumi toys instead. I made a good start on an Easter bunny but it seems to have faltered for a while.

As for plans for next year's crafts I am creating a list of Twenty Targets for 2020 :xeek: If only I could manage with four hours sleep each night I might achieve something ::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
We had our short break in the Lakes over Christmas and I found a box which just took 1 of each colour of wool and a smaller one with the hook, close up glasses, ear buds (to listen to music while crocheting) and the few finished squares, carefully tucked it into a locker by the bed and didn't take it out again until we got home!

Its hard to do anything in the van when we have the dogs there as well, there's only one position which works for me as I need to lean against something and that means round the corner of the bed and leaning on the washroom wall, otherwise I'm left sitting on the opening edge of the bed with my legs dangling and after a while my feet feel odd! (Transverse bed with opening to get into it and the leg end is tucked behind the washroom).

I also slept a phenomenal amount - clocking up just over 12 hours one night, so will have to plan this better.

I love Mrs Badknee 's blanket, such glorious colours and all the other projects which people have finished, Happy Crafting to one and all for 2020 :smiley:

Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
We have a Grandchild due in May as well but that daughter-in-law hates handmade things. I have made a shawl but not sure if she will accept it :(
What a shame ?
I don’t understand why people are like that. Anyone can buy a shawl but those made with love are precious.
I hope she loves it when she sees it.
Hopefully she won’t be so rude as to reject it.
Puddleduck I had the same feeling with my granddaughter Katy. I had made a shawl but decided she wasn't the one who would appreciate it so I have kept it back. I haven't yet heard whether baby Evie-Grace is wearing any of the clothes I knitted so I am thinking of making amigurumi toys instead. I made a good start on an Easter bunny but it seems to have faltered for a while.

As for plans for next year's crafts I am creating a list of Twenty Targets for 2020 :xeek: If only I could manage with four hours sleep each night I might achieve something ::bigsmile:
I’ve been knitting for the grandkids since the first one came along 9 1/2 yrs ago but in the last couple of years haven’t seen my creations on grandsprogs #1 or #3 (offspring of #2 daughter) so I stopped making for them.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
there's only one position which works for me as I need to lean against something and that means round the corner of the bed and leaning on the washroom wall, otherwise I'm left sitting on the opening edge of the bed with my legs dangling and after a while my feet feel odd! (Transverse bed with opening to get into it and the leg end is tucked behind the washroom).

I like to sit there as well!!!!!! Pillows under my knees and a big garden cushion bought in Aldi's sale a year or so back behind me and it's like a recliner chair with all the support where required :)

When I sit on one of the swivel seats I usually put a step stool under my feet as I find that more comfortable. It would be lovely if the swivel seats had built in leg rests like the recliners we have at home :)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I have Amazon vouchers to spend ........ what would you buy with £50 of vouchers?

Another plan for the New Year is to print off some of the patterns I have downloaded and put them into files. I am lucky enough to have a comb binder so might make up files for different projects - adult clothing, children's clothing, household stuff, shawls etc.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hobby 615 af
Exp
2 weeks
Morning all, I am still trying to learn to crochet. Have done a first round of a granny square but it didn’t look very square , and then I sort of lost heart a bit .

I have pulled it apart and started again, any advice ?
Just keep pulling it out and redoing it and soon it will the way you want it, i think i have learnt more doing it that way lol but i still get a bit lost with counting!

Aug 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hobby 615 af
Exp
2 weeks
We have a Grandchild due in May as well but that daughter-in-law hates handmade things. I have made a shawl but not sure if she will accept it :(
Ohh ? thats a shame, i hope she will as the baby may love a handmade item from their Grannie- i would have done!

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
I like to sit there as well!!!!!! Pillows under my knees and a big garden cushion bought in Aldi's sale a year or so back behind me and it's like a recliner chair with all the support where required :)

When I sit on one of the swivel seats I usually put a step stool under my feet as I find that more comfortable. It would be lovely if the swivel seats had built in leg rests like the recliners we have at home :)
I use a pillow behind my back, but like the idea of something under my knees as my legs are long enough to touch the back door as its only a small double and smaller at the foot than the head.

We use a step stool to get up to the bed, and I was thinking about that as the driver's swivel has the lower floor level, it wouldn't save my legs as such but would mean that I could put my feet at a more comfortable level than just dangling with the toes touching the floor.

I have Amazon vouchers to spend ........ what would you buy with £50 of vouchers?
Wool of course for the next crochet project I have my eyes on, and not even done more than 4 of the over 100 squares I need for the current one! Going to try hard not to buy in advance as its very easy to have a few year's worth of projects with their wool already bought.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs

Another plan for the New Year is to print off some of the patterns I have downloaded and put them into files. I am lucky enough to have a comb binder so might make up files for different projects - adult clothing, children's clothing, household stuff, shawls etc.

I also have Amazon voucher to spend. I’m looking at craft books, embroidery hoops in different sizes for needle felted pictures, kitchen scales ( mine just died) for soap and shampoo making.

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009

Always yarn :) I buy mine from Woolwarehouse, I love receiving their gossamer bags of gorgeousness.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I have enough wool / yarn to last a couple of years - and an idea of what I am going to do with it all!!!!!! Late on the Sunday at Harrogate Knit and Stitch, as we were packing up, some traders left a lot of odd balls of yarn that had been damaged and no longer fit for sale on the stand where I was helping out so I snaffled a bagful of yummy yarn.

I want to get Tootles book but not sure what to spend the rest on.

I'm also going to make a roll up case for my interchangeable needles, cords and other accessories, I just have to design it! I already have one for crochet hooks. At the moment I use a multi compartment pencil case which is okay but I need something custom made for the job.

Just something else for the list!!!! At least I got tax returns and annual company statements done and filed today :)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Have you got a wool winder? Hours of OCD fun to be had :)
Amazon product ASIN B07SR186VC

Yes, somewhere.

I'm also looking at this (or one of the cheaper variations) to add icord details to collars and cuffs perhaps.

Amazon product ASIN B07MJQG24J
but then again I can make cords using crochet.

I think I might buy stitch bible type books. I know it is all available on line but sometimes I need to see a few samples together before I decide on a stitch.

I am knitting socks using a stitch I call "John's Stitch" much to his discomfort!

Last edited:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
And I just downloaded the Pondoland Square pattern (free version), glutton for punishment or what????
1577890245398.png

I was going to get a magazine sub but found they are free with Kindle Unlimited so that saves a bit of cash.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Aren't folk odd about hand knitteds. my 2 younger grandsons were being a bit trying when we had the away in the motorhome a few years ago, John told them that , if they didn't stop being naughty, gran wid knit them a jumper like his, and if they were really naughty I would knit 2, bad idea, chaos reigned till they were told i would only knit them if they behaved. their dad and his ex wife love hand made stuff.
Should really be getting on with John's jumper, but he is asleep and the needle 'clacking' will wake him up.

And I just downloaded the Pondoland Square pattern (free version), glutton for punishment or what????
View attachment 354876

I was going to get a magazine sub but found they are free with Kindle Unlimited so that saves a bit of cash.

WOW that is beautiful don't think i would have the patience for that.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
{Pondoland Square}

WOW that is beautiful don't think i would have the patience for that.

I will have to look at my show stash to see if there is anything that would look good. As it ends up 16 or 17 inches square it's pretty big and only 20 squares to make a counterpane for a single bed :)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Not as much joining together though ;)

And you know how I love that part (not). lol

I started to use circular needles to avoid sewing up sweaters ........ I've even found a way to avoid the underarm sleeve.

John's stitch (knitting) done over multiple of 5 stitches (plus two, one at each edge) and 4 rows (instructions for flat (2 needle knitting)

Row 1: P2 *(K3 P2)** repeat from * to **
Row 2 K2 *(P3 K2)** repeat from * to **
Row 3 P2 *(slip 1, knit 2 pass slipped stitch over, P2)** repeat from * to **
Row 4 K2 *(P1, then K1P1 into next stitch - brings you back to the 3 stitches for the twist panel , K2)** repeat from * to **

You can vary this quite a lot by adding an extra repeat of rows 1 and 2 making the pattern work over 6 rows instead of 4 and / or add extra stitches between the K3 bit or instead of the reverse stocking stitch use garter stitch. So many variations that one could write a pamphlet just of John's Stitch variations!

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2017
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
I started to use circular needles to avoid sewing up sweaters ........ I've even found a way to avoid the underarm sleeve.
I've started adapting baby patterns to knit back and fronts all in one. The last one I did I also knitted the sleeves in the round on dpns. It was a breakthrough for me as I'm not very innovative, I can follow a pattern no trouble but have limited imagination!

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
I've started adapting baby patterns to knit back and fronts all in one. The last one I did I also knitted the sleeves in the round on dpns. It was a breakthrough for me as I'm not very innovative, I can follow a pattern no trouble but have limited imagination!

I have a baby cardigan knitting pattern that is an all in one pattern so no need to sew up the sleeves that I can post if it helps ?

It’s a dead easy one, we make them for the prem babies at the local hospital although they say they have enough at the moment. They asked us (a WI crafting group) if we would instead make cardigans for teddy bears and we politely declined.

We have now shifted our efforts to making blankets for homeless shelters.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
It was surprisingly cheap, £18.99 plus delivery :)

And bought with part of the gift token :)

I borrowed a book about Portuguese Knitting (Kindle Unlimited) which looks like an interesting technique but also has a lovely baby jacket pattern, I think in the equivalent of 3 or 4 ply so might make that for the new baby more because I want to make it to try the technique rather than I think it will be appreciated.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2017
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
I have a baby cardigan knitting pattern that is an all in one pattern so no need to sew up the sleeves that I can post if it helps ?

It’s a dead easy one, we make them for the prem babies at the local hospital although they say they have enough at the moment. They asked us (a WI crafting group) if we would instead make cardigans for teddy bears and we politely declined.

We have now shifted our efforts to making blankets for homeless shelters.
If it's the one you've previously posted on here I have it, thanks.

It was surprisingly cheap, £18.99 plus delivery :)
I'm very taken with your bag. I've been thinking about it and decided I need one so I look like less of a bag lady when out and about with my crafts ?
Edit: after seeing other people on this thread admire it too I'll have to get a move on or they'll have sold out!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back