Free Member
Aug 29, 2015
Oban, Argyll and Bute, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
I'm a newbie
I have a leaking windscreen and feel that the rubbers that appear to have already been sealed need replacing. Does anyone know of a company or person that can removed the windscreen, replace the rubbers and the windscreen and re-seal? The van is a Hymer B584 on a Fiat Ducato base.

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
A bit risky that. Can you not use clear silicone with a fine nozzle around the window carefully inside and out lol

Feb 26, 2013
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise stargazer
Exp
since 2013
We had that problem and tested it with a hose to check where the sealant had broken down. We removed all the old sealant, and used "tiger seal" which we got from our garage and haven't had a problem since. Good luck .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
It's likely that most windscreen places would not want to know and if you do find one then their unlikely to take responsibility if anything goes wrong and the screen gets damaged.
It's a bit of a lost art these days fitting older type rubber section and filler bead as pretty well all modern vehicle screens are bonded in.
I had a classic car business before I retired so was a bit of a dab hand at removing and fitting that type of screen, but when we had an awkward one that would not play ball we knew an old boy who was a retired windscreen fitter who would give us a hand.

It might be worth contacting a classic bus or coach club in your area to see if they can point you towards a company or somebody that can help.

http://www.classicbuses.co.uk/links.html

If Hymer can't supply the screen rubber then Baines Rubber of Tunbridge Wells are likely to have a section that will do the job. Have a look at pages 83 and 84 of their catalogue.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Autoglass replaced a cracked screen on my last A class motorhome with no real effort. MH was 1990 :).

OP
OP
T

The Spongebobs

Free Member
Aug 29, 2015
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
I'm a newbie
Have discovered its the rubbers that have cracked and that is where its leaking. Is the captaintolley suitable for this or is there a clear silicon spray on the market that will seal?

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
To be honest, I wouldnt use Captain Tolleys if the window rubbers are perished/cracked. The best solution is replacement of the window rubbers.

I would give someone like Cab Glass a ring and see if they could help as I would imagine that they would still deal with window rubbers on some of the agricultural and construction equipment they work on.

OP
OP
T

The Spongebobs

Free Member
Aug 29, 2015
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks for the advice on 'Cab Glass' have emailed them and will let you know. Not sure they have fitters in Scotland though.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Word of warning, dont assume it is the Rubbers, Some older R-V`s, have this issue and the Edge of the screen opening Corrodes. The only "cure" is to repair the opening, VERY costly.

A very "naughty" thought, chuck a brick at the screen and Claim on the insurance!!!!;);););)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back