Leaking MPK skylight (1 Viewer)

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Does anyone else have problems with MPK skylights leaking, my converter has fitted and refitted a skylight and slavered it and the surrounding roof with Sikaflex but it still let’s water in when rain is from one direction. I am getting to the stage where I may have to swap it for a different make. My Maxfan has no problems.

any ideas or comments please.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
as it is coming from a specific direction is it coming in the fixing frame or under the dome. many motorhome roof lights have ( best way i can describe it ) less seal around the dome to allow for ventilation.

lift the dome and run your fingers around the channel it sits in when closed, you can check out the seal .

OP
OP
Otter Spotter
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
I will check tomorrow, I wonder if it needs a gasket on the lid to stop water

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
remove the skylight, add a spacer to raise up the height and reinstall.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Has the dealer removed whole skylight, cleaned roof and skylight thoroughly of all old sealant.
Then refitted it using fresh non setting sealant like Hodgsons Seamseal CV?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Thanks how will this help ?
if the water is pooling on the roof, it will overtop the riser built into the skylight frame. raising the height of the frame will prevent the water going over the top and into the van. use lengths of upvc well sealed to the roof and it will work well

if rain is driving in from the front when driving the van, a deflector can be fitter to divert the water round the skylight

OP
OP
Otter Spotter
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Has the dealer removed whole skylight, cleaned roof and skylight thoroughly of all old sealant.
Then refitted it using fresh non setting sealant like Hodgsons Seamseal CV?
Yes he did remove, clear the old sealant and replace but I cannot say what he used

OP
OP
Otter Spotter
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
if the water is pooling on the roof, it will overtop the riser built into the skylight frame. raising the height of the frame will prevent the water going over the top and into the van. use lengths of upvc well sealed to the roof and it will work well

if rain is driving in from the front when driving the van, a deflector can be fitter to divert the water round the skylight
Understood, thanks for the suggestion.

OP
OP
Otter Spotter
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Numpty ? I just realised that I washed the van down on Saturday with garage water gun and I bet I have sprayed up into the lid of the skylight. I am now thinking it’s not leaking it’s just me forcing water around the perspex lid and surround through the air venting gap.
Note to self ‘don’t go near skylights with water wand’ ?????

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back