Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
We have seen a very nice voyager, new but a 2017 model at a substantial discount, for the size and spec it seems a good price, has a very luxurious feel inside, and value for money wise, whilst still a lot seems far better than a smaller hymer etc.once the spec is taken into account.
I have looked on the le voyager board, but they seem quite rare, how are they for quality, insulation etc they have a foam type lining on the inner walls supposedly for heat and noise insulation, does it make it quieter to drive?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Part of/badged Pilot I believe but with a better spec using the old Le Voyageur name which used to be a completely different van and built to a very high standard not that there is anything wrong with these later models its just the same as a RMB is no longer what it used to be.

It sounds as if you like the van and I would not worry about the 2017 spec if the price is right, yes I believe little things like the foam/material lining on the walls make a difference all the "top money" vans have it in one way or another suede/carpet/leatherette.

Martin

Jan 27, 2014
Oakham, Rutland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
As said it is part of the Pilote group, the voyager is a pilote with a higher speck. I have a Pilote and in 20 years and several motorhomes it is the best I have owned, so if it ticks the boxes for you I would go for it and good luck.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
The Pilote Group is going the same way as any of the big converters IMO, i.e. the materials are getting lighter and the components don't seem to feel as solid as they once did.

My 2017 Pilote certainly feels as if it has a better standard of internal quality compared to that of a MY18 or 19 model but, that aside, the Pilote Group is certainly one of the more advanced industry leaders for innovation and new design.

I'm trying to recall the name of the fine Funster who owns a Le Voyager as from what I gather he was expecting a better quality vehicle than what he received for the price.

He may be along shortly.

Oct 16, 2018
CHESTERFIELD DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
PILOTE
Exp
Long enough
We have a 2013 Pilote and it has given us no grief at all and has done around 30,000 miles.

I would certainly buy another in the Pilote range if we were to buy again.

:france: :france: :france: :france:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I'm trying to recall the name of the fine Funster who owns a Le Voyager as from what I gather he was expecting a better quality vehicle than what he received for the price.
Could have been me. I'm extremely happy with my 2012 model. The issues I have had are common to most vans I've owned. Build materials and equipment are excellent.

kip

Free Member
Apr 26, 2015
Bulphan
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ours is 8 years old & bought it in March this year. Quality van, everything works as it should, wouldn't hesitate in buying another one. Go for it!!(y)

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
No, this is not what I wanted to hear, I wanted you to put me off, this could prove very costly....

Here's a story for you :D

We bought a 7.5m Pilote with all of the shiney bits and gizmo-things added and thoroughly loved it. We wouldn't, and did not change a thing. A fantastic van.

At the beginning of 2018 I started looking at other vans because I get bored easily with my toys and so I thought the obvious progression was to get something huge with even more shiney knobs and more bling and presence etc.

Heck, I've never gone smaller in life, just bigger and posher so I thought why change a habit of a lifetime.

Anyhoos, we settled on a new 8.5m Frankia Platin and came seconds to handing over the extra £100k needed to change up from our 6-month old Pilote.

Nicky and I sat there and thought what the heck are we doing. A larger van will just cause more hassle and, anyway, I think our current van is more than sufficient and we won't be better off by going large PLUS, our lifestyle dynamic changes so often that we best be sure that we're doing the right thing.

We (that means me BTW:whistle:), then went on a long Airstream journey (other thread applies) and now we are about to change to a PVC.

The two of us look back now and we both think that we avoided a big bl••dy headache by not going large.

Saying that, everyone has their own requirements in life so fill your boots and buy it if it's the lifestyle choice for you.

Right then, I'm off now to count the pennies which I saved by not going crazy a few months ago:D

Good luck with your choices

Andrew

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Only my opinion ......after visiting the NEC a few weeks back I looked at lots of MH s and in particular the Pilote family IE Pilote, Bavaria, Frankia and LeVoiger ......Pilote and Bavaria,nothing between them price wise or quality,just finish of woods colour.....Frankia almost 20k more and it showed a lot but P & B had leather upholstery which is extra on the Frankia:(:D Then we looked at the LeVoyger which again was another 25 k on top of the Frankia price :whistle: We preferred the Frankia (y)
Was the LV worth the extra ?
It was nice but ?
At the same show we went into the Morrelo s at 140 k ,180k and 280 k .....no better built than the F or LV ....better materials ? would like to revisit them all in five years time :D Could not see any 100 k difference on the Ms either (n)
Also worth mentioning that nothing was falling off any of the vans mentioned unlike a couple of the so called Quality Hymers :unsure:
Terry

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Part of/badged Pilot I believe but with a better spec using the old Le Voyageur name which used to be a completely different van and built to a very high standard not that there is anything wrong with these later models its just the same as a RMB is no longer what it used to be.

It sounds as if you like the van and I would not worry about the 2017 spec if the price is right, yes I believe little things like the foam/material lining on the walls make a difference all the "top money" vans have it in one way or another suede/carpet/leatherette.

Martin
Martin has it pretty well spot on. I have a 2014 Le Voyageur, which like all the ones prior to about 2017 (ish) were built to order and very well made indeed. The latest Le Voyageurs are basically a Pilote (they even dropped the desirable Merc chassis) in a very posh suit. Very nice but no longer a stand - out van. Looked at a few at the NEC and admired them though. They will be very well built and highly specified.

IMO The most recent “old shape” Le Voyageurs are the ones to go for but the older curved side ones hold up really well. Great vans

@Terry - just in case you read this (y)

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Only my opinion ......after visiting the NEC a few weeks back I looked at lots of MH s and in particular the Pilote family IE Pilote, Bavaria, Frankia and LeVoiger ......Pilote and Bavaria,nothing between them price wise or quality,just finish of woods colour.....Frankia almost 20k more and it showed a lot but P & B had leather upholstery which is extra on the Frankia:(:D Then we looked at the LeVoyger which again was another 25 k on top of the Frankia price :whistle: We preferred the Frankia (y)
Was the LV worth the extra ?
It was nice but ?
At the same show we went into the Morrelo s at 140 k ,180k and 280 k .....no better built than the F or LV ....better materials ? would like to revisit them all in five years time :D Could not see any 100 k difference on the Ms either (n)
Also worth mentioning that nothing was falling off any of the vans mentioned unlike a couple of the so called Quality Hymers :unsure:
Terry

What you've said there Terry is probably the main reason(s) why we didn't proceed with the purchase of the large van.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Interesting, so like most things for sale in life even motorhomes, its all about the badge/image, and they each have their loyal customers.

Its great to get an independent unbiased view on the merits of each item for sale. These are after all, very Premium Brands, with by the sound of it,very subtle differences.
So it all boils down to the old adage...you pays yer money, you takes your choice.
Having looked up a Le Voyager 2017 manufacture, but registered late 2018 for sale on Autotrader at £99,000.00, at first glance it struck me as being very similar to an N&B. Both of which are lovely vans as they should be with RRP well above £100,000.
As for normal day to day parking, or even dare I mention a bit FLT, might be a bit difficult, but then that might not affect the buying decision for most purchasers.
Les

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Interesting, so like most things for sale in life even motorhomes, its all about the badge/image, and they each have their loyal customers.

Its great to get an independent unbiased view on the merits of each item for sale. These are after all, very Premium Brands, with by the sound of it,very subtle differences.
So it all boils down to the old adage...you pays yer money, you takes your choice.
Having looked up a Le Voyager 2017 manufacture, but registered late 2018 for sale on Autotrader at £99,000.00, at first glance it struck me as being very similar to an N&B. Both of which are lovely vans as they should be with RRP well above £100,000.
As for normal day to day parking, or even dare I mention a bit FLT, might be a bit difficult, but then that might not affect the buying decision for most purchasers.
Les
I do like the massive water capacity, solar and battery capacity plus the long range fuel tank option. Until I let the fuel get below half!!!

OP
OP
Wh05apk
Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....

Les

I think that is probably the van we are looking at.

Nicepix

Free Member
Mar 20, 2018
Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner T-Star 695
I'm not sure about the latest models, but up to around 2011 - 2012 the LV were nothing like the Pilote / Bavaria models. LV and Frankia are or were a big step up from the other Pilote owned brands. The biggest issue was that many of the LVs and Frankias we looked at only had 3 places for travelling. Strange to have four berths, but only three seat belts o_O

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back