Free Member
Nov 1, 2016
Derby, UK
Funster No
MH
Iveco Daily
Exp
Since 2001
You can't stand at the seat, but there's still plenty of room to get through to the back.

OP
OP
Craigderby

Craigderby

Free Member
Nov 1, 2016
Derby, UK
Funster No
MH
Iveco Daily
Exp
Since 2001
Finished the shelf part today, and then started on the front face of it.

20170127_134528_zpszluhnpyi.jpg

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Finished the shelf part today, and then started on the front face of it.

20170127_134528_zpszluhnpyi.jpg
Is there any reason the access hole is small? It would make it much easier to put stuff in and retrieve it if it was made larger.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It's only for bedding, so it should go in easy enough. Also, with it being at shoulder height it's easy to reach in.
... hoping the locker monster lurking in the corner doesn't bite you! :laughing:

Jul 26, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
To many to mention
Like the look of your LDV can you tell me which paint you used, I noticed in one post it was grey with a white door so did you paint it in stages & was it sprayed. Thinking of painting one we are doing up for family to use yours looks so much better coloured than white. Looking forward to seeing your finished job & I'm sure you will have lots of fun in it. Hope you don't mind me mentioning that I think you may regret not fitting a fridge if you have room, it's surprising how much food you can pack into the fridge along with soft drinks & beer.

OP
OP
Craigderby

Craigderby

Free Member
Nov 1, 2016
Derby, UK
Funster No
MH
Iveco Daily
Exp
Since 2001
Like the look of your LDV can you tell me which paint you used, I noticed in one post it was grey with a white door so did you paint it in stages & was it sprayed. Thinking of painting one we are doing up for family to use yours looks so much better coloured than white. Looking forward to seeing your finished job & I'm sure you will have lots of fun in it. Hope you don't mind me mentioning that I think you may regret not fitting a fridge if you have room, it's surprising how much food you can pack into the fridge along with soft drinks & beer.

I got the paint from Ebay. It's sold as military paint.
I did paint it in stages, and I did it with a roller. It's easy enough to do, just take your time and don't let it dry too quick.

There will be a fridge going in, as much as it takes up a fair bit of space, it would be a pain without one.

Jul 26, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
To many to mention
Thankyou for paint info @Craigderby have had a look on eBay & going to order some & have a go in a couple of weeks. Did you get instructions as what type of roller to use, I was thinking a sponge roller may be best.

OP
OP
Craigderby

Craigderby

Free Member
Nov 1, 2016
Derby, UK
Funster No
MH
Iveco Daily
Exp
Since 2001
Avoid sponge as you'll get bubbles in the paint. I used emulsion rollers, the furry type.

Jan 1, 2018
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Experienced Traveller
Hi have loved looking through your thread. I am looking at starting a similar project but I had a few worries. Just wondered if you had encountered these and what the outcomes were?

1. Can you drive this without C1 on your licence? I know you can drive a minibus on a standard licence if not for profit but post conversion do you think it will stillbe under 3.5t?
2. Is it difficult/expensive to get insurance on this sort of conversion?
3. I have heard maintenance costs are very high on these sorts of vehicles (minibuses). Hace you found that to be true?

Any info you could provide would be much appreciated. I will be following your progress with great anticipation.

Happy New Year.

Chugger!

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Well done that man now join fun it will be the best £15 pounds you will ever spend
bill

Jan 1, 2018
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Experienced Traveller
Thanks Bill, I am already a member. Looking to travel Europe for at least a year from April 2018 on a shoestring. Just trying to work out whether an old MH or converted minibus/window van is the way to go!

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Thanks Bill, I am already a member. Looking to travel Europe for at least a year from April 2018 on a shoestring. Just trying to work out whether an old MH or converted minibus/window van is the way to go!
i would go with a camper window magnum motorhomes at Grimsby O'lerys at Beverly when i done my van i used caravan windows
bill

Oct 26, 2018
Funster No
MH
LDV Convoy conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
How did the rest of the build go @Craigderby? Me and my Hubble have just bought an LDV Convoy minibus and are now taking on the converting task ourselves, excited and nervous at the same time.

OP
OP
Craigderby

Craigderby

Free Member
Nov 1, 2016
Derby, UK
Funster No
MH
Iveco Daily
Exp
Since 2001
How did the rest of the build go @Craigderby? Me and my Hubble have just bought an LDV Convoy minibus and are now taking on the converting task ourselves, excited and nervous at the same time.

Hi. Unfortunately that was as far as I got. A change of job meant the indoor storage wasn't available anymore, and I also realised it just wasn't going to be big enough. We've now got a motorhome instead.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back