Latest update on travelling abroad after Brexit (1 Viewer)

tkk

Jun 9, 2014
notts
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640
Exp
newbie but learning fast
There aren't but if he went to Ireland & in advertantly used the Irish passport they could impound vehicle . If he used the UK passport there would be no problem.
I have only seen the term “resident” used in relation to the legislation on legality of driving a vehicle registered in another country, not the term “citizen” as determined by passport held. I am ready for correction on this point if anyone has recently reviewed the subject
Tkk

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
I'm with C&MC for insurance now, maximum trip length is 66 days. SAGA do longer limits but they were expensive.
interesting i am also with c&mc and my insurance was taken out on the 90 day in any one trip basis i will have to phone them and check this

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
They don't have to know,..........you have to prove you haven't been there over the prescribed amount.

"Well Officer that sort of evidence will be at home in XXXX country, would you like to follow mw there to see it, as I do not carry old receipts around with me, do you?"

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
I have only seen the term “resident” used in relation to the legislation on legality of driving a vehicle registered in another country, not the term “citizen” as determined by passport held. I am ready for correction on this point if anyone has recently reviewed the subject
Tkk
Totally agree. The fact that you might have dual citizenship is not relevant. It's residency that counts.

Tanya_and_Mick

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 12, 2015
Quesada, Spain
Funster No
MH
Globecar 640DK
Exp
"Well Officer that sort of evidence will be at home in XXXX country, would you like to follow mw there to see it, as I do not carry old receipts around with me, do you?"
It that case you can’t prove you haven’t been there longer than 90 days and you will suffer the consequences

As per gus-lopez stated the onus is on you to prove you have not stayed over the 90 - if you can’t or just provide excuses why you can’t the likely fine and or ban on return will be heading your way

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
If you don't earn enough to pay tax....

You may need to investigate the tax liability-thing a bit more before responding.

Tax is not just about earning thresholds but also about 'net worth' too.

Example: If for whatever reason a person became a tax resident in Spain this year then any 'owned' immovable assets relating to that person outside of Spain (UK as an example) which has a value of €50,000 per imovable category will/can incur a Spanish tax assessment. The Spanish Gov has now stipulated late March-20 as the first deadline for this process.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
" well whilst you fly back home to get the paperwork to prove it we will store your vehicle,at 80€/day until you return"
" If you prove the facts you won't be required to pay but it will be a reminder to you for the future to ensure you carry your paperwork proving you have the right to do what you are doing"

It has happened here before on many,many occasions with foreigners not registering.

romany

Free Member
Jul 3, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax aurura xl
Exp
since 2014 camping since1968
Even modern tech cannot scan my passport in a MH locker when I am crossing a border between Schengen countries at 90kph, which is the reality.
Their not interested how many different schengen countries you go through only how long your in the schengen zone doesn't mater if you spend 5 days in France 25 in Italy and 62 in Germany which ever port you leave from will show the first country ie France you entered and the last maybe Holland will show you have been in the schengen area longer than you should its not individual countries its the area simples

romany

Free Member
Jul 3, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax aurura xl
Exp
My vehicle insurance is 90 day max each trip with 90 day break in between each trip extension possible subject to prior agreement and fee of course
Its my medical travel ins thats the problem for me 55 days max

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
It that case you can’t prove you haven’t been there longer than 90 days and you will suffer the consequences

As per gus-lopez stated the onus is on you to prove you have not stayed over the 90 - if you can’t or just provide excuses why you can’t the likely fine and or ban on return will be heading your way

I am not conversant with the Spanish Legal System, but in most countries the onus is on the legal authorities to prove the offence.

If charged with an offence I would have thought the Court would give one time to obtain documents to support the defence.

romany

Free Member
Jul 3, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax aurura xl
Exp
I am not conversant with the Spanish Legal System, but in most countries the onus is on the legal authorities to prove the offence.

If charged with an offence I would have thought the Court would give one time to obtain documents to support the defence.
Ahh you see thats the clever bit for Spain why waste tax payers money proving your guilty much better to make you do the work and waste money to prove your innocent which would be very difficult for you to prove if you had overstayed

Tanya_and_Mick

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 12, 2015
Quesada, Spain
Funster No
MH
Globecar 640DK
Exp

To confirm in Spain (on this offence) the onus would be for you to provide evidence that you are within the boundaries of the law, rather than Spain prove you are operating outside of it (on this offence)....

As shared earlier, you could be given time to prove your case but interim action could be implemented until you prove otherwise

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
I will throw myself at their feet "it's a fair cop guv you've got me bang to rights" and plead for mercy.

Gerry (still in Spain, not yet been to the UK. This year)

Deleted User
Their not interested how many different schengen countries you go through only how long your in the schengen zone doesn't mater if you spend 5 days in France 25 in Italy and 62 in Germany which ever port you leave from will show the first country ie France you entered and the last maybe Holland will show you have been in the schengen area longer than you should its not individual countries its the area simples

At least part of this discussion has been about moving around the Schengen area when a resident of a Schengen country and still complying with Schengen rules.

Once In the Schengen area and as a resident of a Schengen country there are no border checks until leaving the Schengen area so any electronic border/passport checks are irrelevant to residents in the Schengen area and without those it is difficult to prove overstaying, or prove otherwise.

Tanya_and_Mick

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 12, 2015
Quesada, Spain
Funster No
MH
Globecar 640DK
Exp
But then the Australians, Canadians et al could be up in arms about 'special treatment' for Brits.
True, but no different than Canadian US or Oz Kiwi - As we’re in the neighbourhood we should get a few perks :)

Boris will hopefully chat and we’ll all arrive at the right place that benefits both / all parties

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Is this an appropriate place to inform all Funsters that I have been extra special permission to tell you that in 2021 I will be ,"Sauntering from Seville to Santiago" on behalf of Prostate Cancer UK"
I don't mind being a guinea pig, (no offence intended) for all you poor souls worried about stars on your No. Plates.
My WALK! Yes! WALK from Seville to Santiago de Compostela is starting on or about 1st Feb. 2021 and will cover over 1000kms.

romany

Free Member
Jul 3, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax aurura xl
Exp
At least part of this discussion has been about moving around the Schengen area when a resident of a Schengen country and still complying with Schengen rules.

Once In the Schengen area and as a resident of a Schengen country there are no border checks until leaving the Schengen area so any electronic border/passport checks are irrelevant to residents in the Schengen area and without those it is difficult to prove overstaying, or prove otherwise.
Agree with you on that, my post was for those who think they can enter schengen travel through other schengen countries and overstay and not be found out. As the saying goes you pays your money you take your chance as long as our foreign office doesn't waste our tax payers money trying to support those in trouble because they deliberately overstayed.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Is this an appropriate place to inform all Funsters that I have been extra special permission to tell you that in 2021 I will be ,"Sauntering from Seville to Santiago" on behalf of Prostate Cancer UK"
I don't mind being a guinea pig, (no offence intended) for all you poor souls worried about stars on your No. Plates.
My WALK! Yes! WALK from Seville to Santiago de Compostela is starting on or about 1st Feb. 2021 and will cover over 1000kms.

The Via de la Plata is (for the most part) a lovely route, especially in spring.

We didn't walk it but we cycled it.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Chill until 31/12 - by then Boris may have shaken hands on a new order of life for expats :)

Immigrants to EU countries ( expats to those who think they are above immigrant status ) rights have been enshrined in law under the WA.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back