Known Fiat/Rapido BCM(?) problem? (1 Viewer)

Apr 2, 2017
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2002
Afternoon folks.
We’re due to pick up our brand new Rapido 854f on Saturday. It’s a 2023 model with the 9 speed Auto box on a 140Hp fiat ducato base with the digital dash.
The dealer has just called with a “pre collection courtesy call” checking we’re still good for the scheduled collection. During the call the very nice lady dropped in the fact that the vehicle is one with the “ known BCM(?) issue” that can cause problems but that the workshop and handover team will talk us through it on the day…
I’m not happy that this has only just been mentioned to me if it’s a known issue but don’t know how unhappy I should be. The lady didn’t seem to know much about the details other than it could blow a fuse, or trip something if certain things were done in a particular order. She said it’s a know Fiat issue which they’re working on and it will be solved as soon as Fiat come up with a fix.
Has anyone heard of this issue? Is it something to be concerned about or a minor niggle that’s unlikely ever to trouble us?
I’m hoping someone can enlighten me.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I ask the dealer we bought a 6 month old Kon-Tiki if there would be a warranty issue if we installed a video recording.
Would cut into reversing camera feeds and install forward facing & recorder.
Answer was YES it would void warranty.
On water ingress, naturally dealer dependant but if you've done work and they say warranty void, why do they need to
prove cause as you now longer have a warranty, harsh but possible/probable.
I admit that I am no expert but I cannot see how cutting into the wiring of a camera could void the warranty of, say, a gearbox failure.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2022
Watford, Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
I admit that I am no expert but I cannot see how cutting into the wiring of a camera could void the warranty of, say, a gearbox failure.
Basically their response, if you interfere with/modify the vehicle then warranty void.
If warranty void then your not covered for any issue period.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Basically their response, if you interfere with/modify the vehicle then warranty void.
If warranty void then you’re not covered for any issue
Again, I am no expert, but I would have thought that Consumer Protection Law would call that an unfair clause.

Perhaps some of our legal practitioners on the Forum could add to the discussion.

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
If warranty void then your not covered for any issue period.
What about dealer fitted extras such as solar etc or cameras?
Is the warranty then also void?
If so, what's the point of a warranty?
And, how does a dealer manage to override the original manufacturers warranty if they sell , and fit, these additional extras?

Upvote 0

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
3+
Just to update on progress today.
We went to the dealers this morning quite prepared to cancel the order and walk away.
After a long and detailed conversation with one of their technical team it became apparent that the information we received on Thursday was in fact complete rubbish!
The issue was nothing to do with the BCM but related to a fault where the igniter on the hob could sometime blow a fuse on the 12v system. The dealer has sold 3 of the 854f motorhomes so far and all had this issue. They had already worked out how to solve the problem with a minor change to the offending circuit and have made this change to our van.
The dealer was quite happy to put this in writing and confirm that there is no issue with the BCM and was extremely apologetic about the mis-information we received.
Bottom line, we are satisfied that it’s not an issue and are now the proud owners of our new motorhome and spending our first night in it tonight 🎉
Thank you to all who contributed with excellent advice and information.
Have you got the 5 year warranty sorted?

Upvote 0
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Just to update on progress today.
We went to the dealers this morning quite prepared to cancel the order and walk away.
After a long and detailed conversation with one of their technical team it became apparent that the information we received on Thursday was in fact complete rubbish!
The issue was nothing to do with the BCM but related to a fault where the igniter on the hob could sometime blow a fuse on the 12v system. The dealer has sold 3 of the 854f motorhomes so far and all had this issue. They had already worked out how to solve the problem with a minor change to the offending circuit and have made this change to our van.
The dealer was quite happy to put this in writing and confirm that there is no issue with the BCM and was extremely apologetic about the mis-information we received.
Bottom line, we are satisfied that it’s not an issue and are now the proud owners of our new motorhome and spending our first night in it tonight 🎉
Thank you to all who contributed with excellent advice and information.

I sincerely hope you negotiated on a pack of these….😉

IMG_0167.jpeg

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2022
Watford, Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
What about dealer fitted extras such as solar etc or cameras?
Is the warranty then also void?
If so, what's the point of a warranty?
And, how does a dealer manage to override the original manufacturers warranty if they sell , and fit, these additional extras?
If work carried out by authorised Swift agent, other manufactures are available, then warranty remains.
It is if work carried out by unauthorised persons warranty void, I could not find a Swift Authorised dealer who
could/would install recording system.
To maintain Fiat warranty, or any vehicles manufacture warranty, services have to be carried out by manufacturers authorised garages/agent, otherwise warranty void.
Phones don't us an Apple/Samsung authorised agent warranty void.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
We’ll be taking that out on Tuesday when the office team are back at the dealers 👍
Is the dealer also a Fiat Professional? If not you will need to buy it from someone like Adams Morey, Portsmouth. They will do it on the phone but you will need the registration details and chassis number.

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
Not at far as I'm aware, in theory they probably could but unlikely too.
On a similar note converters say fitting items like solar panels voids the water ingress warranty but in practice they would have to proove what you did cased the leak.
OR, on the other hand, you would have to take on an official agent/ garage/ workshop/dealership etc with their direct access to the manufacturer of your vehicle and all the updated knowledge the may have regularly, and PROVE YOU DIDNT cause the fault/ leak/ problem etc.
Your word against theirs, but they have the badge over the door to show their official and authorised status.
Seems its their game and their rules.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
OR, on the other hand, you would have to take on an official agent/ garage/ workshop/dealership etc with their direct access to the manufacturer of your vehicle and all the updated knowledge the may have regularly, and PROVE YOU DIDNT cause the fault/ leak/ problem etc.
Your word against theirs, but they have the badge over the door to show their official and authorised status.
Seems its their game and their rules.
You worry to much, I would rather get the job done properly by doing it myself rater than pay someone to do a bodge. I've seen dealer fitted solar panels, no thank you.

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
You worry to much, I would rather get the job done properly by doing it myself rater than pay someone to do a bodge. I've seen dealer fitted solar panels, no thank you.
Fair enough, but you must be very risk adverse, we'll certainly more than me.
Your spend on your vans accessories alone is probably more than I would ever be able to spend on a complete motorhome.
That said, the shear thought of a warranty POSSIBLY being made void on such a big overall spend that I had 'twiddled" with by doing my own thing, I just would not sleep.
But we are all different, thank goodness.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back