Kids and dog friendly campsites (1 Viewer)

wombling nut

Free Member
May 1, 2020
Funster No
MH
Ford Ravenna
Exp
for a few years in my parents then i brought one!
Hi all I am as always preparing for a break, as soon as we can move! Has anybody got any suggestions on where I might to with my 7 year old and dog, i dont mind not having all facilities as we are pretty much self contained and we travel with our bikes, i prefer smaller campsites. We are midlands based and tend to go for long weekends due to my work commitments. We love open fires, woodland, beaches and Water! Any suggestions are welcome x

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Lyndon Top, Rutland water
It’s not small because there ls lots of space but everyone spreads out. I prefer the lower field nearer the water. Cycle safely direct from the site around the water. There is a wildfowl centre there and a walk with hides to view the birds - take some binoculars and a spotting book. Should be good this time of year.

Upvote 0

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I'd like some suggestions further South (with beach and child friendly sea) ... e.g. Devon but easy access for woman who struggles dring van down narrow lanes. :(

Upvote 0

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I was introduced to Ross on Wye Rowing club last year , thanks to Duxdelux easy escape from the midlands

its closed at present but if you are self sufficient it is a lovely field short walk into town and riverside with children's playground even closer
as for the bikes depends on the type of cycling you do

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I'd like some suggestions further South (with beach and child friendly sea) ... e.g. Devon but easy access for woman who struggles dring van down narrow lanes. :(
If you want to avoid the narrow lanes of Devon, i would suggest Dorset instead, just drive south on main roads from Glastonbury area instead of southwest.
There are quite a few nice looking sites around Bridport. I am booked on the Highlands End campsite rally and that looks nice, or there is Freshwater Bay Holiday site, trouble is they tend to be pricey in school holidays.

This one looks good and a more reasonable high season price
Not far off main A35 and good review on Search for Sites :
817745B4-98C6-4276-BAAF-C7E3D65E2300.jpeg

AE0A1FC0-944E-4077-A2DD-BE1D5A8CB58B.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 30, 2020
Hartpury, Gloucester, Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 796
Exp
Hi wombling nut
Couple of very small friendly sites that we have used local to us with our youngster and not too far from the Midlands :
  • Roseville in the Golden Valley at Castlemorton - direct access to the common and byways. 3 pubs within a nice walking distance (you have to cross the road and depending on the route taken you do need to take care with little ones). Common does have free range sheep so dogs may need to be on a lead
  • The Elms at Ledbury - direct access to a woodland walk that can take you right into Ledbury with several pubs and cafés. See quite a few deer in the woods if you are quiet
A larger site but with plenty of space is Bracelands camping in the Forest of Dean. I would normally give it a miss in high season but if campers are reliant on own facilities it will be much quieter one would imagine.

Deer Park @ Eastnor Castle is a no frills site. Only water and waster. Lots of space. Not flat. Kids love it. Take a look around the Castle grounds. Great play areas there that should be open come summer we hope. Dogs must be on a lead but they are allowed in the castle grounds

We are going to try out the CCC club site at Cannock Chase in April (assuming we are allowed). This looks bob on for woodland adventures with the family too.

Good luck wherever you go 😎

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
movan
If you prefer North Devon, then Croyde Bay area easy access via M5 and A361 through Banstaple.
A few sites on Search for Sites
This looks good

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back