Keswick C&CC Site Evacuation (Wed)

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Kingham, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Kingham

Kingham Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +5,135
    After a mad grass cutting and washing frenzy on recently getting back from my Scottish trip, I headed off in to Cumbria staying at a few different sites, but ending up at the C&CC Keswick site on Monday. The plan was to leave there on Friday and head across to the NE coast for the weekend, where I'm meeting up with my son.

I was lucky on arrival to have secured an excellent front row pitch, with the view down Derwentwater only marred by my hook up cable.....

image.jpeg

That view didn't last long though as one of the new starters had put me on the wrong pitch and I was asked to move, which I did reluctantly, but which turned out to be for the best.

I was aware that strong winds and heavy rain were forecast overnight Tuesday and into Wednesday, but decided to leave my awning up as Thursday was going to be bright & breezy, so the plan was pack it away dry Thursday afternoon, ready to leave on Friday.

Then on Wednesday morning, I had an early knock from a warden advising that the site was on a flood alert, which by lunchtime had escalated to an official full site evacuation. So began an extremely wet packing of the awning, Silverscreens, hound and me.
    I don't think that list would have been much wetter if I'd dragged the whole lot through Derwentwater.

image.jpeg

Just before I left at 1.30pm, I grabbed this pic which shows the bollard that I was plugged in to in my first pic and the water was still rising. Even when the rain was due to stop later that afternoon, the fells would still continue to drain into Derwentwater and raise the level for at least another 24 hours, so evacuating was the correct call.

image.jpeg

• Informative Informative x 9
    • Like it Like it x 4
    • Love it Love it x 1
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  2. frogijock

frogijock Funster

Ratings:
    +564
    Water you going to do on your next site? :sun:

• Funny Funny x 7
  3. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +20,981
    Oh dear, that's such a shame, hope it all dries out okay so it doesn't spoil other MHers etc holiday plans.

4. kelv

kelv Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +422
    any longer on that pitch and you will need one of these
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like it Like it x 3
    • Love it Love it x 2
  5. milliethehymer

milliethehymer Funster

Ratings:
    +7,097
    Wow, think that site flooded badly a couple of years ago and was closed for a while while they sorted it out.

Shame that whatever they did re flood management seems to have failed - but then again, it might have been worse if they hadn’t done anything*

* I’m assuming they did do some water management work, if not due to location of the site ongoing flooding is inevitable...

6. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +31,042
    I think there are quite a few campsites which, like some school playing fields, are accepted as flood plains as part of flood management schemes. Helps stop villages and towns being inundated.
    [​IMG]
    to try to help prevent
    [​IMG]
    seems like a good trade-off to me (y)

• Like it Like it x 2
  7. Kingham

Kingham Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +5,135
    The flood management work was more to protect the homes and businesses in town, whereas the site is on a flood plain, which I don't think they could realistically do much about, considering it sits on the shoreline.

• Like it Like it x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. SteveandDenise

SteveandDenise Funster

Ratings:
    +1,778
    Down to bad organisation by the wardens ! the head warden should have got their throne and sat by the waters edge and command the water to recede :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

• Funny Funny x 5
  9. cranky

cranky Funster

Ratings:
    +779
    caravan club warden would have:D

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Useful Useful x 2
  10. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +31,042
    I think they did for a while, then they got called in for their dinner
    upload_2017-10-12_12-36-10.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 6
  11. Aly1

Aly1 Funster

Ratings:
    +887
    @Cal54 have you seen this? Hope it dries up quickly otherwise we need a plan B!

12. Cal54

Cal54 Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +17,374
    Yes Alyson I had seen this, but to be honest it is something that seems to happen every year at this site. Agree a plan B is needed and I'm sure we will find an alternative if needed.

13. WillH

WillH Funster

Ratings:
    +2,223
    The site only exists because it's on the flood plain like many other sites. If it didn't flood there would be houses.

14. mikebeaches

mikebeaches Funster

Ratings:
    +1,381
    Oh, what a shame. We were walking around the lake and had an enjoyable lunch in the theatre Bistro overlooking Derwent Water only last Thursday. The weather was beautiful, with the sun shining and fairly mild temperatures.

We weren't staying at the campsite, but are familiar with it.

As said, there is not much that can be done when the camping is on the shore of the lake and the water level rises. But it is a beautiful spot when the weather is behaving.

15. WillH

WillH Funster

Ratings:
    +2,223
    Having used the site many times my understanding is that the flood management scheme is to evacuate.

• Like it Like it x 1
  16. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +2,517
    We spent a few nights there. Lovely views but glad we weren't there when it rained

17. adt

adt Funster

Ratings:
    +546
    IMG_0113.JPG

Took this on the way home from work. This area is normally grazed on by cows and sheep with the river flowing alongside the railway which you can see raised in the distance.

Traffic on the A595 is now a nightmare with bridges closed all over the place. Took one of my team 5 hours to do a 1 hour trip last night to get home. IMG_0113.JPG

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. Ex-caravantugger

Ex-caravantugger Funster

Ratings:
    +441
    Booked in at the end of the month unless Ophelia decides otherwise.... :eek:

19. Heather 89

Heather 89 Funster

Ratings:
    +0
    We are also due to visit at the end of the month!

20. Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox Funster

Ratings:
    +4,747
    We came back down the M6 Yesterday and it didn't stop raining from Scotland and well into the Midlands.

Didn't look good as we drove through Cumbria lots of water flowing fast in the streams/river.
    Even saw a taxi stuck in flood water on a side road :eek: