Keswick C&CC Site Evacuation (Wed) (1 Viewer)

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
After a mad grass cutting and washing frenzy on recently getting back from my Scottish trip, I headed off in to Cumbria staying at a few different sites, but ending up at the C&CC Keswick site on Monday. The plan was to leave there on Friday and head across to the NE coast for the weekend, where I'm meeting up with my son.

I was lucky on arrival to have secured an excellent front row pitch, with the view down Derwentwater only marred by my hook up cable.....

image.jpeg

That view didn't last long though as one of the new starters had put me on the wrong pitch and I was asked to move, which I did reluctantly, but which turned out to be for the best.

I was aware that strong winds and heavy rain were forecast overnight Tuesday and into Wednesday, but decided to leave my awning up as Thursday was going to be bright & breezy, so the plan was pack it away dry Thursday afternoon, ready to leave on Friday.

Then on Wednesday morning, I had an early knock from a warden advising that the site was on a flood alert, which by lunchtime had escalated to an official full site evacuation. So began an extremely wet packing of the awning, Silverscreens, hound and me.
I don't think that list would have been much wetter if I'd dragged the whole lot through Derwentwater.

image.jpeg

Just before I left at 1.30pm, I grabbed this pic which shows the bollard that I was plugged in to in my first pic and the water was still rising. Even when the rain was due to stop later that afternoon, the fells would still continue to drain into Derwentwater and raise the level for at least another 24 hours, so evacuating was the correct call.

image.jpeg

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Oh dear, that's such a shame, hope it all dries out okay so it doesn't spoil other MHers etc holiday plans.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
Wow, think that site flooded badly a couple of years ago and was closed for a while while they sorted it out.

Shame that whatever they did re flood management seems to have failed - but then again, it might have been worse if they hadn’t done anything*

* I’m assuming they did do some water management work, if not due to location of the site ongoing flooding is inevitable...

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I think there are quite a few campsites which, like some school playing fields, are accepted as flood plains as part of flood management schemes. Helps stop villages and towns being inundated.
hqdefault.jpg

to try to help prevent
Keswick-Floods.jpg

seems like a good trade-off to me (y)

OP
OP
Kingham

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Wow, think that site flooded badly a couple of years ago and was closed for a while while they sorted it out.

Shame that whatever they did re flood management seems to have failed - but then again, it might have been worse if they hadn’t done anything*

* I’m assuming they did do some water management work, if not due to location of the site ongoing flooding is inevitable...
The flood management work was more to protect the homes and businesses in town, whereas the site is on a flood plain, which I don't think they could realistically do much about, considering it sits on the shoreline.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Down to bad organisation by the wardens ! the head warden should have got their throne and sat by the waters edge and command the water to recede :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
Down to bad organisation by the wardens ! the head warden should have got their throne and sat by the waters edge and command the water to recede :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
caravan club warden would have:D

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I think they did for a while, then they got called in for their dinner
upload_2017-10-12_12-36-10.jpeg

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Yes Alyson I had seen this, but to be honest it is something that seems to happen every year at this site. Agree a plan B is needed and I'm sure we will find an alternative if needed.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
The site only exists because it's on the flood plain like many other sites. If it didn't flood there would be houses.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Oh, what a shame. We were walking around the lake and had an enjoyable lunch in the theatre Bistro overlooking Derwent Water only last Thursday. The weather was beautiful, with the sun shining and fairly mild temperatures.

We weren't staying at the campsite, but are familiar with it.

As said, there is not much that can be done when the camping is on the shore of the lake and the water level rises. But it is a beautiful spot when the weather is behaving.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Having used the site many times my understanding is that the flood management scheme is to evacuate.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We spent a few nights there. Lovely views but glad we weren't there when it rained

adt

Mar 28, 2016
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Nuevo
Exp
Since 2016
IMG_0113.JPG

Took this on the way home from work. This area is normally grazed on by cows and sheep with the river flowing alongside the railway which you can see raised in the distance.

Traffic on the A595 is now a nightmare with bridges closed all over the place. Took one of my team 5 hours to do a 1 hour trip last night to get home.
IMG_0113.JPG

Oct 17, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
40 years caravanning. New A-class Moho owners
Booked in at the end of the month unless Ophelia decides otherwise.... :eek:

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
We came back down the M6 Yesterday and it didn't stop raining from Scotland and well into the Midlands.

Didn't look good as we drove through Cumbria lots of water flowing fast in the streams/river.
Even saw a taxi stuck in flood water on a side road :eek:

OP
OP
Kingham

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Local BBC news has just mentioned that the flood warning remains for the Keswick site and also that a yellow alert for rain will be in place until 7pm today.

Baileysbus

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Fife
Funster No
Exp
Start of 2016
Was thinking about booking there as we love Keswick but just as well they were full when I tried (y) Mind you it is peeing down here ....... we're at a britstop in Aysgarth having just visited Hawes. Heading towards York for Sunday then Helmsley early week ...... hopefully by which time we'll be in a heatwave ;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back