Keeping heating on in motorhome (1 Viewer)

Nov 18, 2019
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 596
Hi everyone
Just wondering if any one leaves heating on low while motorhome is laid up over winter ? l leave mine on set at about 12degress to keep damp out, but noticed it is costing far more than my caravan did. My caravan is costing about £5.25 a week but my motorhome is costing about £12.56 a week and the motorhome is a 2018 with grade 3 insulation the caravan hasn't got the grade 3 insulation, obvious question is it because of the cab on the motorhome, the vents are shut in cab and have a soplair blanket wrapped around windows of cab.
cheers all Jim

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
If you’re not having any heating on just make sure it is fully and properly drained down, taps left open, boiler fully drained,
a window or 2 cracked open.

We are up on the moors and it gets incredibly cold with the van cocooned in ice sometimes. It can do terrible damage if you don’t drain properly, I have sometimes thought it’s better to leave the Alde on very low as it heats the double floor and no chance of any damage, although with the ventilation I mentioned.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wikky

Free Member
Aug 6, 2020
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Since 2003
I put a 900W oil filled electric rad in the mh. Set it low on it's thermostat just to keep internal temps above freezing. Doesn't cost much to run.
My mh is on the drive way in front of the house so has an ehu protected by a 30mA RCD from the garage.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I always leave mine set at 8degs with all cupboard doors open. I’m never sure if drain down is 100% and with the heating system blowing under the double floor and cupboards it’s a protection against a localised freeze of a pipe plus everything stays aired and ready to go.
As for cost it doesn’t bother me in view of the value of the asset.

Aug 17, 2011
Wrexham
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Arapaho
Exp
since 2005
I put a 900W oil filled electric rad in the mh. Set it low on it's thermostat
Why don't you just use the vans in built heating system? They generally have a setting of 500w and set the thermostat to low. No need to use a stand alone heater.
As previously posted. Not a good idea to heat at all.(I don't) Hot air cooling generates moisture.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wikky

Free Member
Aug 6, 2020
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Since 2003
Why don't you just use the vans in built heating system? They generally have a setting of 500w and set the thermostat to low. No need to use a stand alone heater.
As previously posted. Not a good idea to heat at all.(I don't) Hot air cooling generates moisture.
I don't want to put hours on the Truma electric heating elements and the fans whilst I'm not using the mh. Replacing the elements and fan motor is expensive.The oil based rad is passive in this respect and works for me.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back