keeping a starter battery topped over winter help (1 Viewer)

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
We may have a issue this winter with our van going into storage for about 2 months or so
So I have a question for our electrical bods

I have fitted 280 watt soler panels though a 30 amp controler

If I run a fused wire at both ends from hab battery's to starter battery's with a large say 30 amp diode in line so power can only go in one direction And prevent reverse flow from starter battery

Will it keep my starter battery topped up
It seems to me that it will be such a easy fix so what am I missing (n)
Be gentle :)

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
yes that would work you probably dont need the diode if you know where the split charge relay is on your van you can just bridge the terminals with a short wire incorperating a fuse the fuse should be rated low enough to blow if you attempt to start the van as you dont want to subject the leisure batteries and wiring to starter currents if you wanted this can be done as a permenant fixture and for ease of use incorperate a switch or just have the fuse in a place you can remove it easily ,normally its the relay terminal s 30 to 87 that need linking on a standard relay

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
When I left the van for 4 months parked up at home I connected the vehicle battery to the leisure battery with a cable with a fuse at both ends. The solar panel kept both charged up okay.

Mike

Peter_n_Margaret

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
Adelaide, Australia
Funster No
MH
"C" class 4WD DIY
Exp
About 20 years
I leave the Iveco we are using in Europe parked under cover in Germany for 6 months over winter.
No starting problems at all after that time provided the terminals are disconnected to ensure there are absolutely no loads.

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
Hi
It might be easier to fit Dual regulator then you can set the outputs required for each battery,i had one one my first MH and it worked ok, this van works through the sargent system charges one for 4 hours then flicks onto the other.
Paul

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
i charge my van battery via a trickle charger[ halford,s] plugged into inverter just been to look at charge display on green [fully charged] now probably charging 3+ 120 amp battery bank ,seem,s ok but if really cold [no sun] will put on ehu, natural drainage plus extra safety features,tracker/alarm,s etc

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back