Kampa Awning leaking in via roof lining (1 Viewer)

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Hello there and bare with me as its our first attempt with our awning since we bought it a little while ago.
It's a kampa air pro 330
Kev fitted it yesterday and all seemed well. Should we have sealed it first with fab seal or the equivalent?
Seems like the roof just allows water to soak through?
Regards Carolyn

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Bought our Kampa beginning of last year only used it once late summer thanks to lockdowns. Didn’t leak then, put it up again on present campsite and during last weeks heavy rain it leaked like a sieve. Managed to pick up a cheap spray can of waterproofer at B&M gave roof and underside a good spray so far no leaks. Incidentally there is “My Kampa Awning Leaks” group on Facebook, very eye opening.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kev and Carolyn
Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
It's a 2018 and it has been sat inside the motorhome since we purchased it in 2020 when they shut us all down because of Covid. It's our first effort n using it. Kev seems to think it requires fab seal or Kampas own spray sealent for awnings. We just wondered if it was needed before installing on the motorhome
Carolyn

OP
OP
Kev and Carolyn
Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
It's a 2018 and it has been sat inside the motorhome since we purchased it in 2020 when they shut us all down because of Covid. It's our first effort n using it. Kev seems to think it requires fab seal or Kampas own spray sealent for awnings. We just wondered if it was needed before installing on the motorhome
Carolyn

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
I wouldn’t expect to seal a new awning…..but perhaps it has deteriorated over the last three years…..?

OP
OP
Kev and Carolyn
Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
I'm / we are hoping that the spray sealent will help. Just seems a little too damp really.. 🤔
You could be correct though... Needs a spray over..

Carolyn

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Tell Kev to put his hand in his pocket (Or your purse.. :giggler:..) and buy a can of this with a refillable spray gun...

I had a new awning once and leaked the first time I put it up... never know how long the shop has had in stock.. Aerosols don`t go far.. :frowny:

Always handy for insect sprays or the like.. (y)

Amazon product ASIN B013T16IWA

OP
OP
Kev and Carolyn
Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Would condensation form whilst your out of it? We put it on the mh yesterday(sorry... Kev did) 🙄
Not been in it today but when the heavens opened up.. It just dripped through. Not every where just certain areas... Mainly around the air tubes in the roof
Carolyn

OP
OP
Kev and Carolyn
Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Tell Kev to put his hand in his pocket (Or your purse.. :giggler:..) and buy a can of this with a refillable spray gun...

I had a new awning once and leaked the first time I put it up... never know how long the shop has had in stock.. Aerosols don`t go far.. :frowny:

Amazon product ASIN B000XY5ZHG

Always handy for insect sprays or the like.. (y)

Amazon product ASIN B013T16IWA
Hello mo. Kev has said the same thing really. Looks like a tub might be the best way.

Carolyn

OP
OP
Kev and Carolyn
Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Sorry but does it need to be dried out for the fabsil application to work?

Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
Would condensation form whilst your out of it? We put it on the mh yesterday(sorry... Kev did) 🙄
Not been in it today but when the heavens opened up.. It just dripped through. Not every where just certain areas... Mainly around the air tubes in the roof
Carolyn
We had condensation issues on our old caravan air awning. But, it was on the entire underside of the awning roof. Your description sounds more like a leak TBF. 👍

Nov 24, 2017
Greater London
Funster No
MH
2021 Burstner TD680G
Exp
Camping , caravanning, campervaning for 10 years
We had a new kampa air that leaked in the first winter after being used all the summer before in France and Spain as you say just along where the tubes were. We could find a big tub but used a couple of aerosols and all was sorted. The stuff we used stained our awning ( or prehaps cleaned the bits we sprayed and caused a tide mark) so be prepared

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
We were led to understand a brand new awning needed to weather then the fabric would close up and presto all would be ok.

We have both the Kampa rally pro air 390 and the poled version, the air is fine if the ground is 100% level but useless if not, the poled version is brilliant no matter what the terrain.
Apparently the newer Kampa awnings since Dometic bought Kampa out have suffered dreadful leaks with little or no back up from Dometic.

Good luck guys.

Dec 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
There is quite a bit of info about leakage/weathering in the Kampa instruction book and on their website.
It does seem to me though that there are two inevitabilities when Dometic take over anyone: a) The price rockets and b) The quality plummets.

OP
OP
Kev and Carolyn
Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Hubby spent £40 on two cans of fabsil.
Spent yesterday brushing it all over. Last night we had a decent rain shower. This morning.... Dry! Sorted!
He's decided to do the same today and also... Make some cartoon eyes for his grandson. He loves cars the movie.
£15 laterand this is what he sorted out for us......
His grandson thinks he's special.... I think he is awesome.
Love him to bits.
Carolyn

Attachments

• IMG_20210629_202309.jpg
    IMG_20210629_202309.jpg
    571.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20210629_201742.jpg
    IMG_20210629_201742.jpg
    778.5 KB · Views: 16

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
If you think about it, a super dry bit of material, the threads shrink a little. It needs to get damp at least once to tighten up. Then when dry again, a light and even coat of waterproofing will keep it watertight for a few seasons use. Any stitched areas need a light coat of seam seal to fill the needle holes
Awning 101 really and if you ever camped in a tent, you quickly learn

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It is a good idea to do it every now and then even on awnings that don't leak as the treatment give protection against UV fading and material strength deterioration.

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
When we had caravans we had 3 Kampa awnings, they all leaked from the seams the first couple of uses, once the sewing thread had swollen the leaks stopped and they were fine.
We used them quite regularly but I guess if you stored them for a considerable time then the threads could dry and shrink again.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back