Just one dashboard monitor? (1 Viewer)

Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
How do people deal with the possible proliferation of monitors on the dash? Is there an easy way to have just one monitor and easily switch between reversing camera display, rear view display, and satnav display, and whatever else?

Nov 4, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
There are radios on ebay/amazon and some standard fit radios that can swop between those screens.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
How do people deal with the possible proliferation of monitors on the dash? Is there an easy way to have just one monitor and easily switch between reversing camera display, rear view display, and satnav display, and whatever else?
I have a Clarion stereo with built in satnav, I have twin rear cameras, service camera and a front camera all displaying on the Clarion unit.

Here is how I wired the rear cameras and service camera I added the front camera later in the thread.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Strictly speaking they are Multi media or AV units so they can display video or other media as well as Audio.

Martin
I originally wired some of my cameras via the AV inputs then realised being an AV input when you switch to it, it cuts any other sound source. Also a PIA having to switch it via a touch screen. My final solution was to switch the cameras via relays to the camera input using switches for control on the dash panel.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We have a Kenwood head unit along with twin Sony rear camera. All fitted by the dealer. It works well. We usually have the screen on navigation, and in that mode we can also play music from various sources. The screen can be split to show both the navigation and rear facing camera. And at any time one long press of a button or one short press of an icon on the screen will bring up one or other of the cameras on the full screen. Works OK for us

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
This does it all ---https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Android-9-0-double-din-DAB-Car-Stereo-Sat-Nav-GPS-Bluetooth-WiFi-OBD-4G-DVR-RDS/273992789102?hash=item3fcb3e2c6e:g:148AAOSw6IJdzRxX

OP
OP
acropolis22
Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
!!!!! That's got to be the longest eBay ad I've ever seen. Totally confused now.

Do you think there's any chance it would actually do all that smoothly?

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
Garmin do a sat nav with built in dash cam and the ability to add on a reversing camera too. I considered it but discounted it as I don't always need a sat nav but like to have the dash cam and reverse camera permanently available without having to faff about setting something up each time.

OP
OP
acropolis22
Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
Garmin do a sat nav with built in dash cam and the ability to add on a reversing camera too. I considered it but discounted it as I don't always need a sat nav but like to have the dash cam and reverse camera permanently available without having to faff about setting something up each time.
I was thinking I'd want a rearview camera and reversing camera as well as satnav and dashcam. Presumably one doesn't need the dashcam to display on the monitor. But if you want a rearview camera to take the place of a mirror, in other words, always visible, and also need a satnav display, you can't avoid having at least two screens?

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Sadly my screen is filled with a Renault Sat Nav/Radio/Music Centre all dancing device. I had a twin lens reversing camera fitted with its own monitor. When camera fitted by the garage they did not remove the small Camos reversing camera and monitor. Of course, except in Portugal, I have a driving camera. Finally, as I do not trust the built in TomTom I have a Garmin sat nav. There are still a few gaps left to see the road here and there.
Seriously the driving camera is hidden from me by the Renault built in unit and the Camos monitor does not come in line with the windscreen. The only other screen blocker is the Garmin which is tight in the bottom right-hand corner. None are really a problem and I feel well informed.

BDM

Aug 17, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2008
rad01.jpg

This does it all in one. Radio, USB music, sat nav, rear cam, 2nd cam. Fitted just before lockdown so only tested for a few miles...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back