Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Where are you staying?

W're heading in that direction on Monday but anticipate taking at least a week getting there (perhaps longer if it stays dry this side of the country and wet in the west!)

Gordon

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Hi,Wherabouts in Cornwall are you ? I just wondered how are the roads these days as its a long time since I was down there and they were very narrow with high hedges bck then .

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Devon weather today 25+c ~~
Cornwall wet!
Cornwall roads nothing wrong with them, there may be some narrow but you can always pull in your mirrors!!!

Devon and Cornwall heat wave this weekend.

colyboy

~~~~ lie

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
and sussex:D

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Hi,Wherabouts in Cornwall are you ? I just wondered how are the roads these days as its a long time since I was down there and they were very narrow with high hedges bck then .
Well it sort of depend what road you're on!

You can have one of these
upload_2017-10-13_11-9-29.jpeg

or you can have one of these

(though to be fair, at rush hour or in the tourist season it's more likely to look like this)
images

The main thing to remember is that with Cornish hedges, there's likely to be a stone wall lurking just below the surface of any foliage...

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
The main thing to remember is that with Cornish hedges, there's likely to be a stone wall lurking just below the surface of any foliage...

Visitors need to keep an eye on the road edge/verge/bank to see where the locals throw the 'Cornish wiggle' and pass each other without slowing down from 30mph. (y)

Whatever happens, don't play chicken with a milk tanker, if people saw how hard it is for them to stop with 100's of gallons of fresh milk hitting the tank baffles they would steer well clear.
The regular tanker driver used to stop for his break in a lay-by on his way to pick our milk in North Cornwall, the tanker would still be rocking forwards and backwards when he had finished his break and was ready to get back to work! :)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Visitors need to keep an eye on the road edge/verge/bank to see where the locals throw the 'Cornish wiggle' and pass each other without slowing down from 30mph. (y)

Whatever happens, don't play chicken with a milk tanker, if people saw how hard it is for them to stop with 100's of gallons of fresh milk hitting the tank baffles they would steer well clear.
The regular tanker driver used to stop for his break in a lay-by on his way to pick our milk in North Cornwall, the tanker would still be rocking forwards and backwards when he had finished his break and was ready to get back to work! :)
no baffles in milk tankers . brake hard on a wet surface you slide forward 6ft easily even when for a moment you stopped . i drove them for awhile .
sewage tankers much nicer to drive . or fuel tankers . both have baffles .
milk ones dont as it makes tank cleaning much harder.
mind i enjoyed driving steerable drag trailers with the milk . amazing things to reverse . not like artics . takes awhile but once into it they fit in amazing places .
both sewage and milk plus dustbin lorries get almost every where in cornwall.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
We're off to "Constable Country" so we'll leave "Gods Little Acre" in your capable hands then :hugs:

Well just arrived in Cornwall which is grey and drizzly currently!!!
Oh well...here's to 10 days of much needed r&r!!!!
Kate

Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
image.jpg
@Paul and Kate

Hi again

We have gone to charmouth this weekend. May be see you in the ship next week. It’s foggy on the hills here so you are not missing the ‘heatwave’!
Ship was quiet last week, what a difference from summer!

Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
Hi Paul and Kate. We have never stayed at the Pentewan Sands site only due to past visits to the area being in the summer months and the site was always so busy when we arrived due to its ideal location on the beach but at this time of year could be an excellent choice.

Mevagissey, Polperro, and Looe are our favourite places to visit when in the area and all have Motorhome Parking in local car parks priced around £7.00 for 3-4 hours if no off street parking available.

Mevagissey: Just as you enter Mevagissey on the left a large car park that also takes coaches and when busy they will find you a place around the back.

Looe: A large car park just over the bridge and turn right, park up next to the river.

Polperro: A large car park and Motorhome parking at the top end.

Don’t leave your camera in the van when visiting these old fishing villages especially when visiting Polperro otherwise you will regret it.

Wish you both a great time.

Dave.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
@Rapido925M we are staying at Pentewan Sands near Mevagissey

I see MCS has a weekend meet at PS and we may join them.

Pentewan was my first proper camping holiday: Dad drove from Durham to Gt Yarmouth after arriving home from work and we put the tent up by the car headlights. We decamped early on Sat morning and didn't pay! After a week in a static van at Felixstowe he drove through the night to arrive at Pentewan in brilliant sunshine, with a clear blue sky and gorgeous aquamarine sea. As soon as the tent was up my brother and I raced into the sea, only to discover that you sink ankle deep in china clay. Apart from that, I think we had a wonderful time (but wasn't every holiday wonderful when you were 11y old?).

Gordon

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back