Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Information request please,

As our motor home is/has been in storage for some time, with no access to EHU, the engine battery is loosing its charge. The solar panels are keeping the leisure batteries well topped up, but the trickle charge to the engine is now insufficient.

My thoughts are to invest in a jumper charger, complete with compressor, battery charger, etc. which is on offer until the 30 October, at Maplins.

It has a 400amp crank strength, and is apparently strong enough to start a “car, boat or motor home” but does not state the size of engine, ours is a 2.7 merc, diesel.

Can anyone please confirm if the 400amp crank is strong enough, or do we need to consider a larger amperage ?

Thanking all in anticipation.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
These are the details of my battery: (2.2 Peugeot)

Broken Link Removed

Hope that helps.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Yes it should be OK, best to start the engine every couple of weeks and slightly move the van by a couple of feet to put the tyres in a different postion

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
why not rig up a jump lead set up off the leisure batteries . ideally with a big red plastic key switch . this could be used for jumping or even charging off the solar power .
not much cost and if the liesure batteries are full easy work for the solar panels .
mymate uses a 12v to 24 v battery to battery in the circumstances you quote . if it was 12v to 12v .it would have been so easy . your is so its ideal.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Can anyone please confirm if the 400amp crank is strong enough,

it will be if the engine's a good cold starter.

you do need to recharge the 'booster' on a regular basis, in winter especially.

mine booster got neglected and the battery only lasted one winter season.
it's one of those items that's rarely used, chucked in the boot or garage and forgotten about until needed and flat.

when i took it apart it had a 17ah motorbike battery.

binned it and now use proper 600amp rated jumper cables if needed.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
As pappajohn says, they do need to be kept charged up as they are lead/acid (sealed) batteries.
I keep mine in the boot of my car, plugged in to the 12v socket there, which is ignition controlled so gets a charge every time I use the car. The jump start is new so I cannot say whether this is a good idea but it works for my rechargeable torch which is years old and still going strong.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pudseykeith

Free Member
Nov 5, 2007
Leeds West Riding of York
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 Years
A point to remember is if you relie on a boostr battery and the leave the vehicle battery to discharge and stay flat for long periods the acid in the battery will return to water and leave the battery US.
PK

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back