Jumbo bus conversion advice (1 Viewer)

Jul 22, 2022
Funster No
MH
Looking to build one
I was struggling to find bus-home conversion specific forums, do signpost me!

For various reasons I'm drafting plans to build a full-time home using some form of bus; I'm obviously heavily researching everything from DVLA issues to the technicalities of a build, to sites/locations etc etc. Two issues I'm currently going round in circles with a little:
  • I'm trying to find some knowledge on a) initially how to find a site to keep the vehicle while working on it (and then b), down the line, where possible to pitch it up in general). I am currently renting in the London area for work reasons (actor, it's a pain of a life at present!) so somewhere that's not a giant hike, and in the initial instance, that I travel back and forth from to work on it. Farmers? Friendly folks with similar passions and a bit of land? What have others of you done if you've not had your own land? I'm struggling to know what to search for; word of mouth, recommendation or personal contact feels like a better strategy.

• And secondly, the vehicle itself. I would ideally like the largest thing that is practical to take on the road when needed, because, while I'm not into luxuries or space for the sake of it (I am in fact planning compact facilities) I am a (hobby) artist and collector, and need space to both create and display. Almost like a mini private museum/studio, that I'm unlikely to grow out of, and will be a good home to what I collect and generate. I thought immediately of double decker coaches, and as soon as I spotted the Neoplan Jumbocruiser I thought, eureka! Alas - discovering quickly, so few were made, and my chances are slim to nil of acquiring one. Cost also being a factor: the whole idea of this is that I can afford a gradual investment (generating and inputting blocks of money over a period of time), but can't generate huge sums up front (without a lot of help/generosity or a small miracle).
The question follows thusly: has anyone any experience of or know anyone who has created themselves a similar articulated, or extended custom jumbo-size vehicle? Sure, there is the option of tagging a trailer onto a DD or DD coach, but I'm worried about the engineering and feel this requires more than just a hitch, especially if it's a true extension, rather than simply a cargo trailer. Engine placement also considered, I have researched into joining mechanisms and indeed, these take into account the various forces and stresses involved, frequently using hydraulics and computer control. I've not yet quite come accross anything mimicking a Jumbocruiser but custom built, though it seems in theory possible. I'd love to see a schematic of the Jumbocruiser chassis.

I should note that while not an engineer per se I'm bringing to bear a handy degree in transport design, and some experience in such concepts, alongside good practical skills (have restored and customized smaller classic vehicles), though putting the theory into practice, and solo, is a new challenge.

If someone wishes to be my bus-mentor or signpost me to someone I'm all ears; I'd like to meet people with similar passions. There's a fair bit of groundwork to do simply to get started. And while I'm encountering hurdles and compromises, the idea's giving me some much needed hope/optimism, after for a long time feeling trapped and like I couldn't change my situation - in some manner, something here is achievable; and I've always been the sort of person to make what seems impossible or difficult a reality, if within certain means. I've also had this kind of dream/vision since I can remember, and I need to crack on, start living my life in the way I need to - I've never had a home of my own, and the years are marching on...

An example of a small scale creation (this is a part-functioning quarter scale model):
Revolver2-W730.jpg

Revolver4-W730.jpg

Revolver1-W730.jpg

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Sister site to this one will probably be more relevant https://www.diymotorhome.co.uk/
Have you got the requisite driving licence ? Very large motorhomes can be quite problematic in UK eg 12mtr coach type
Have you thought about a USRV as custom building can turn out much more expensive than you realise .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back